Olympus phase detect strips showing up in E-M1 video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
e-m1-phase-detect-strips

e-m1-sensor

Just fresh from shooting a music video with the Olympus OM-D E-M1. I love this camera for professional video. The 5 axis stabiliser is unique on the market. No other interchangeable lens camera can do what the E-M5 can do with Micro Four Thirds lens and that stabiliser.

It's unfortunate however in that the video mode has an unusual bug.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

+1 Andrew. It's funny, the article made a dramatic shift to what should really matter most, but the phase detect issue is something they would actually prioritize. In Olympus's case, they've solved one of the biggest problems indie run and gunners have to deal with and that's a smooth shot. The last thing that should be a problem is frame rates!? Lol. I guess most people just assume if a DSLR shoots video these days, it has a 24/25p option. That's pretty much standard now.

I share that same feeling.

When I watched the fist beta test of the firmware that allowed the 5-Axis in video more, it blew my mind. I really wanted that, I've shot some video with legacy lenses in a normal mirrorless camera and you have a very limited focal length to not get a wobbly footage or become a slave of a tripod or something.

Then there was Sony-Olympus partnership, talks about Sony getting the 5-Axis. Sony wouldn't be able to put the 5-Axis in the A7/R, for sure. That camera can barely have a normal shutter, it's too small to possibly get a IBIS. So, maybe the next A-mount FF, but I'm not interested in a big camera and actually, I don't care so much about FF, even more with speed booster. So, if Sony is really going to pull the 5-axis soon, it has to be with the NEX-7 successor.

Olympus 5-axis made Panasonic step up and put IBIS for the first time, and due to history I have more faith in Panasonic getting better IBIS than Olympus finally making video right. But in some ways, they are both in the same place. According to Andrew, Olympus video actually got a lot better, but they lack better bitrate and framerate options, which is exactly what makes me lose faith on them. Panasonic got IBIS but they are yet to allow video with it so, even if they had a better IBIS, videographers wouldn't be able to benefit from it now. But if Olympus was able to change that via firmware, I don't see a reason why can't Panasonic do the same.

Best case scenarios:

NEX-7 successor has 5-Axis IBIS - and Sony announces a roadmap for E-mount APS-C, it has been how long since a roadmap for E-mount?

Panasonic allows video with their GX7's IBIS and they improve it for its successor, but we can get a similar performance to a normal OIS or Olympus' 5-axis, that would be great.

• Administrators

Is the video output of the EM-1 that much better than the EM-5?  I have the latter and get a lot of blocky video when things start moving (leaves on trees, etc.)  Otherwise, the image is quite nice and the IBIS makes it easy to shoot stable video without any other gear.

Yeah the encoder and codec are both upgraded to avoid blocky break-up and mud, it seems pretty solid and low light performance is great too. There's about the same level of detail as the E-M5, which is to say not bad, but less moire and aliasing this time round.

Actually I can learn to like 30p, the more I watch of it, the more cinematic it feels. Stabilised shots do feel smoother in 30p than in 24p.

But at least give us that 50Mbit and 24p for those locked down shots with lots of detail, Olympus.

Totally agree. Olympus are missing out on sales by not giving us 50p/25p and 24p. Their IBIS is unique. The EM-1 has nothing above it to protect. I would have bought an EM-5 for video because of the IBIS but haven't. Same story with the EM-1.

No non- US/Japan frame rates = No sale.

It's a bit ironic that m4/3 sales are strongest outside the US - however Olympus continue to give the faithful 30p. 

Hope they wake up!

I agree with the article, but it's also back to where we where with the OMD EM5 video wise.

I love the camera, carry it every where and despite the terrible codec see a lot of beauty in the resulting video.

I need to thank John Brawley, it's his post on the camera that gor me interested, and since having it I've lobbied Oly and anyone envolved blog wise to ask them if they would address the video issues, making the same rational reasoning that it's good for business.

If I read correctly between the lines, it's a business to business issue, and Oly see video being a Panasonic patch and we look after photography.

I'd love it, if they take on the articles concerns and address them, but it seems there are much bigger forces at play,

Andrew, how do you find it shooting with the camera actually moving? I have the OM-D E-M5 & the IBIS is brilliant for hand held rock steady footage but I am less happy when there is any camera motion. Panning frequently jitters & walking along for Steadicam shots without the Steadicam can have an oddly rigid & robotic look rather than the smooth floaty look. It's all a bit hit & miss at the moment as movement isn't always unnatural but just in the same way as the CODEC can break down unexpectedly so too can the IBIS.

Andrew this thanks for info , what lens work with video stabilisation is it Panasonic or Olympus with ois or is it any 4/3rd lens.

Also is it true that any lens such as nikon can autofocus for stills.

People also forget how it had water proof body .

Only drawback is no 24fps and it is also a rather big camera , it is size of 5d or Nikon which defeats purpose if 4/3rds camera.