Best hybrid camera under 1000€

Anarboo

Hey, long time lurker here. 

I recently sold all my "old" gear (6d, fuji x-e3) to get a single camera that could do both photo and video, quality wise I think that both the canon and the fuji are great but I found myself using the x-e3 mainly for it's size. 

Now I would like to buy a single camera that I could use for everything, I don't know If I'm ready to leave the ff world, so I'm torn between the x-t3 and the a7rII.

The x-t3 has many cool video features but I'll admit that I'm not fully into videos yet, it lacks an IBIS and working with .raf raw files in lightroom it's a bit of a pain...but it's compact and so are the lenses, I also really like the film simulations.

The a7r2 it's FF, it has IBIS (I know it's not the best but it's still something) and great IQ for photos. 42mpx it's a bit overkill but it shoots videos in 4k and the quality looks nice in both ff and s35. Probably I would buy an a7III if it was less expensive but the price difference is too much. 

I don't care about video AF, and I could be happy with just a 50mm lens and a 28/35 so going for Fuji would not be cheaper.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The best sub $1K hybrid camera for filming is:

a) if you can live without IBIS, the Fujifilm X-T3 secondhand
b) if you love IBIS, the Panasonic G9 (it's been on sale for sub $1K brand new) or a secondhand Panasonic GH5

Hi! I know that IBIS on Panasonic/Olympus is the best but I would like to avoid m43 for photography, maybe I'm just spoiled but I've tested samples from photographyblog and they are "worse" than the ones from the x-e3

I'd probably go with the XT3 as you don't get the low light and auto focus advantage the A73 or A7R3 give you. Plus the smaller size is really nice. I was using a Nikon Z6 yesterday, which I highly recommend for video and stills, but I was missing my tiny fuji after holding it for a couple minutes lol. The IBIS is amazing on it though. 

The XH1 is a good option too. IBIS is nice as long as you aren't doing too much movement with it, like walking. Not as good auto focus as the XT3 and of course no 10 bit or 4k 60p, but you probably don't need that as much. You'll definitely save though, they are going for really cheap these days. 

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

What are you using for lighting??? I am still searching for something more affordable than aputure that isn't too loud.

Look around at secondhand deals, especially if you don't mind an older light (lots of people dumping them and moving to LEDs) then incredible deals are to be found. Last weekend I got a Kino Diva 400 4 Bank for sub US$200

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Look around at secondhand deals, especially if you don't mind an older light (lots of people dumping them and moving to LEDs) then incredible deals are to be found. Last weekend I got a Kino Diva 400 4 Bank for sub US$200

Thanks for the tip.

Are they quiet?

Do fluorescent lights interfere with audio or wireless mics? I am used to fluorescent lights with a heavy and loud ballast.

13 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

What are you using for lighting??? I am still searching for something more affordable than aputure that isn't too loud.

The sharpening video was an Lowel Tota tungsten through a shower curtain and a cheap LED. Interview with the owner of the restaurant was bounced daylight with a reflector.  Funnily enough just bought at Aputure 300d.

As Ironfilm said if your willing to go with older Tungsten or Florescent lights you can get great results for cheap, you just have to deal with the drawbacks of those fixtures. 

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

New godox lights are pretty nice. You can also replace the fans pretty easily. I am pretty impressed with the Godox 200w video light.

Have you compared the light from the 200w to the 60w? If so are they the same quality of light? Or do they not mix together well? 

I've had this problem with other lower cost LED's. I love my 60w lights though! 

7 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I've been noticing a bunch of YouTubers putting out content regarding the Sokani X60. Seems a solid Godox SL60W (of which I have two) rival.

Seems they're quite loud, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Have you compared the light from the 200w to the 60w? If so are they the same quality of light? Or do they not mix together well? 

I could test it for you, what would be the best way to test a quality of the light? 

I don't own the Godox 60w though. My LED's are all mixed haha, makes for lots of fun in post. 

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

you'd be looking for a color shift I assume? I could shoot it against a grey card

Yeah, that's the one thing about these lower end lights. We're really blessed when it comes to quality affordable lighting, but only the bigger companies provide the consistent quality of light across different models, while the budget companies don't because they source a lot of their lights from third parties and then brand them. 

I'm thinking, given their similar designs, that the Godox COB lights like yours and mine were made by the same company and probably use the same LED's but I've yet to find any videos on YouTube or anyone that has different models they can compare to see if there's a color shift or not. 

I'm in the market for some key light, as well! (Maybe we should continue our discussion in: Key Light Less Expensive Than Aputure so that we don't hijack this thread here)

Re: Godox and their quality - I know that Orie McGiness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH7DEV5Ys50) has had a chance to work with both Godox SL-150 and a pair of Godox SL-60 simultaneously. He seems like a really nice guy, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him about it in the comments.

Re: Sokani - Gerald Undone mentions that it's loud, but, unfortunately, he doesn't provide any objective information like he did in a video about Godox SL-60. He says that both these lights suffer from noisy fans, though.

Scott Dumas tried powering the Sokani via V-Mount battery and D-Tap to DC adapter and, supposedly, it works without any issues, so there's hope one could use X-60 on some outside shoots.

There is one more light that caught my attention - Jinbei EF-II 60. Looks like a slightly altered Godox SL-60 that features a slot for two Sony NP-F batteries and it's allegedly a bit brighter than Godox. Unluckily, there is almost no info, no reviews about it, so you're buying a pig in a poke.
@Amazeballs happens to be the only person I know that owns it and he's quite happy with it, isn't that right?

4 hours ago, heart0less said:

I'm in the market for some key light, as well! (Maybe we should continue our discussion in: Key Light Less Expensive Than Aputure so that we don't hijack this thread here)

Re: Godox and their quality - I know that Orie McGiness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH7DEV5Ys50) has had a chance to work with both Godox SL-150 and a pair of Godox SL-60 simultaneously. He seems like a really nice guy, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him about it in the comments.

Re: Sokani - Gerald Undone mentions that it's loud, but, unfortunately, he doesn't provide any objective information like he did in a video about Godox SL-60. He says that both these lights suffer from noisy fans, though.

Scott Dumas tried powering the Sokani via V-Mount battery and D-Tap to DC adapter and, supposedly, it works without any issues, so there's hope one could use X-60 on some outside shoots.

There is one more light that caught my attention - Jinbei EF-II 60. Looks like a slightly altered Godox SL-60 that features a slot for two Sony NP-F batteries and it's allegedly a bit brighter than Godox. Unluckily, there is almost no info, no reviews about it, so you're buying a pig in a poke.
@Amazeballs happens to be the only person I know that owns it and he's quite happy with it, isn't that right?

The Godox SL60 used to have a noisy fan but recent versions do not. Also you can replace the fan, its actually really simple.