Sigma Foveon dead?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Sounds like it -

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/02/07/full-frame-foveon-sensored-camera-from-sigma-no-longer-close-to-market

"Since the earlier announcements, your excitement with the launch of a “full-frame Foveon” has been a tremendous source of inspiration and encouragement for us. Everyone involved in the project has pulled out all the stops to make it a reality. I would like to express my deepest apologies for failing to meet your expectations and having to share this disappointing news. I would like to emphasize that Foveon sensors are in a class of their own and that they are part of the identity of SIGMA cameras that embodies our ideals and philosophies. We are determined to continue dedicating ourselves to technology development to bring better image sensors to life.

I would like to once again express my sincerest gratitude to our valued customers for the strong support you have offered to us. On behalf of all SIGMA employees, I commit myself to you that we continue striving to live up to your expectation and prove that we are worthy of your trust.
I truly appreciate your patience and understanding."

So the full frame Foveon camera is cancelled, and they are going back to the drawing board.

This doesn't bode well for Foveon's future.

Must be tempting for Sigma now to call it quits and put out a higher-end full frame CMOS mirrorless.

I am quite sad about this. Sensor market needs more competition and variation. Sony can't be allowed to dominate the market.

Closing thoughts: Maybe a good time to pick up an APS-H Foveon Sigma Quattro. Last ever chance and rare future collector's item?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Closing thoughts: Maybe a good time to pick up an APS-H Foveon Sigma Quattro. Last ever chance and rare future collector's item?

I've got the regular one rather than the H and was about to post a cheap one that MPB had today for just over £300 but its obviously so much of a bargain that someone has just bought it !

I think the DP1m, DP2m and DP3m compacts will become the coveted ones if this is the end of the road for Foveon as looking at used prices at Map they are already pretty much at parity with the Quattro versions.

Of the compact Quattros, I think the DP0 will be the one that will find a niche as a poor man's digital X-Pan with its 21:9 mode.

I didn't know until recently that Sigma do a shoe mounted OVF for it so I'll be on the hunt for a cheap used one of those on my trip !

• Administrators

I was looking for the H but still around £1200 and not so rare. Maybe Sigma will continue to make that throughout 2020 then do the full frame version in 2021 if they don't decide to can Foveon altogether or move onto a different sensor tech. Maybe they have something better up their sleeve. The Quattro was always a superb ISO 100 camera... After 400 it started to go all a bit wrong.

This is bad news :( I was waiting for this as a compact alternative to my medium format CCD.

Btw, if you want nice color, have a look at a phase one IQ280. Modern and old CMOS cameras are sort of color blind, colors are mushy, I believe this comes from color filters favouring high iso performance.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Αll foveon users I have asked ( I also use previous foveon system) prefer SD1 instead of all Quattro bricks.

Just a thought.