Camera company staff dramas on GlassDoor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Who displays the same image on their camera screen for 36 weeks?

And on which battery?!

I am sure the screen changes enough... Just going into the menus once in a while clears and then changes the onscreen icons. There is also a pixel shift method to stop OLED burn in.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Who displays the same image on their camera screen for 36 weeks?

And on which battery?!

It's enough if you have your camera, for example, in "M" mode and with an "M" displayed as an overlay on your screen. The "M" will burn in after some time, no matter whether the camera is constantly running or being switched off in between. 

That's why even LG, the main manufacturer of OLEDs, is currently developing new display technologies for its high-end TVs. "OLED burn in" is a well-known issue (the same as with plasma tv screens in the past) and currently yields 3.6 million results in a Google search... It is not something that can be fixed within OLED technology itself.

At least it's a known issue with smartphone OLEDs: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-screen-burn-in
(And I'd guess that smartphones get thrown away/replaced much faster than cameras. I would want a camera display to be usable ten years or longer... No reason to throw away, for example, a GH2 [released in 2010] or a 5D MkII [released in 2008 and still great with MagicLantern].)

OLED EVFs shouldn't be critical, since EVFs normally only turn on when triggered by eye sensors, so it should be hard to ever reach sufficient running time for an overlay to burn in.

And even you don't get a straight-forward burn-in, OLEDs deteriorate and become dim with age (because they are organic material).

1 hour ago, rawshooter said:

And even you don't get a straight-forward burn-in, OLEDs deteriorate and become dim with age (because they are organic material).

I mentioned it earlier - particular problem of usage OLED in cameras is simply different heating level, but in simulation of discussion forced in this liberal 100% biased thread there's no reason to insist on anything, except for fun - what is, of course, also nice, at least for me :) But this is strictly technical quote to add to your benevolent contribution :

„While OLED displays do not require a backlight, a variety of other electrical components may be placed in various locations beneath a display. These components facilitate the operation and function of the electronic device. Some components of an electronic device that may be beneath an OLED display include processors, radio transmitters, batteries, speakers, cameras etc. Some of these components draw current and may warm during use. Some components, such as a processor or radio transmitter, may get particularly warm during use or extended use. As a result, portions of the display may also warm due to these warming components beneath the display. Moreover, because some components may warm more than other components, some portions of the display may warm more than other portions.

Heat may affect characteristics of emitted light from OLEDs. In addition to accelerating aging, the color and brightness of light emitted by OLEDs may be affected by the operating temperature. The brightness of some OLEDs, particularly red OLEDs, may decrease as operating temperatures increase. Over time as each OLED ages due to use and temperature, images shown on parts of the display may appear different from the intended image. Controllers may make changes to compensate for such shifts in brightness and color. However, color and brightness shifts may occur differently across a display due to unpredictable use of each OLED and the components beneath each OLED.“

As addition, one of the solution could be using of some sort of thermal sensors which open another problem of powering (and that's possible what BM engineers do right now being ashamed for their incompetency from our address).

Great.. I just got an expensive OLED TV a few years; I guess it's only going to be good for the next 10 years before I need to upgrade. Perhaps instead of find new technology, they could try to find new ways of creating OLED panels so they are only a few hundred dollars to buy. When burn in sets into the screen, just buy a new one.  Obviously, this will not work with cameras.

15 hours ago, rawshooter said:

(And I'd guess that smartphones get thrown away/replaced much faster than cameras. I would want a camera display to be usable ten years or longer... No reason to throw away, for example, a GH2 [released in 2010] or a 5D MkII [released in 2008 and still great with MagicLantern].)

Gee, you just reminded me how super old I am with my couple of GH1 cameras!

Thanks. 

• Administrators
On 2/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, barefoot_dp said:

Kinda shooting yourself in the foot when you try to deny that Blackmagic are innovative... and then you go and post this.

Come on, sensor of humour required :)

Innovation is higher at Panasonic. First to introduce a mirrorless camera of any kind, first to create Hybrid-type camera (GH1) aimed at filmmakers and videographers - a full 3 years before Blackmagic entered the market. First to provide 4K on a mirrorless camera and first to cinema standard 4K under $2000, first to 10bit 4K (for competitive prices) and 4K/60p with no additional sensor crop (GH5). At the same time, they practically invented Micro Four Thirds, an entire system, while making their own lenses and providing Leica with core camera tech and manufacturing, firmware development, support, and let's look at Panasonic's innovation on accessible pricing too - GX85, with IBIS, an EVF and even a screen visible in daylight for under $500.

Compared to this Blackmagic's only camera-related "innovation" is to come up with a low price for a sensor in a box that happens to shoot ProRes and RAW internal whereas other cameras tend to stick with compression, and much smaller file sizes with a small trade off in image quality.

As soon as there is ProRes and compressed RAW internal recording in a Panasonic GH6, or S2 full frame mirrorless camera, why would you choose a Blackmagic with smaller sensor, terrible battery life, poor ergonomics and uninspired feature set that lacks basics such as IBIS, AF, EVF, and so on?

Blackmagic brought us Resolve, first dedicated affordable cinema camera and I do applauded them for that, in fact I did so for about 6 years, but I am not clapping any more.

Time to judge in the cold light of day I'm afraid.

Let's not start a cult.

As soon as other cameras have introduced ProRes and RAW internal, I would expect Blackmagic would have given us another camera model.  You could just as easily ask what if BM introduced one with IBIS, AF or EVF, why would you shoot anything else. ;)

The Pocket 4K and 6K are not perfect, but they have their unique features,as useful and basic as IBIS and EVF...

Punch in focus during recording... shouldn't that be like standard for any camera that records video professionally.

Recording to a SSD drive via USB... no serious camera for video should be without it.  Yes cards are good, but some like SD cards, which Panasonic favour are very fragile.  I've had to bin a few last year for failing and in one case, one got stuck within a GH4r.  CFast is a better option for cards and frankly for a professional camera should be the sort of standard over crappy, flimsy SD cards.  But SSD recording is so very useful to me in my work.  How many cameras offer this in this price range?

Mini XLR... how many other mirrorless / DSLR cameras has this?

The Pocket implements LUTs much better than my GH5; I can't speak for other manufacturers.  With the Pocket 4K, I have the ability to record with LUTs embedded.  There are also more options for your own custom LUTs than my GH5 provides.  

Also, when a camera crashes and all my Panasonic cameras have been guilty of this from time to time, I get error files that I can't retrieve unless I outsource.  On my Pocket 4K, I don't lose the file at all, maybe a few seconds, but hardly significant.  BTW... my Pocket 4K whilst has crashed a little more than my GH5, it isn't the worst camera for this.  That honour goes to my GH4 and one of my GH4rs.  Both have given me loads of error files I can't use.

Plus the look and colour science of BM is superior to Panasonic in my opinion.  

So whilst I welcome ProRes and RAW to someday make an appearance on a Panasonic camera, I would also welcome at least some of the above to be included on them too. :) Not to mention great AF as well. ;)  Panasonics biggest failing.

Of course, I have a list of things I want for future BM cameras too, including AF; no one camera is perfect alas.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Punch in focus during recording... shouldn't that be like standard for any camera that records video professionally.

As found on Fuji X-H1

Recording to a SSD drive via USB... no serious camera for video should be without it. 

As found on the Sigma Fp.

Yes cards are good, but some like SD cards, which Panasonic favour are very fragile.

Sony Tough SDXC cards with monobloc construction.

Mini XLR... how many other mirrorless / DSLR cameras has this?

It's a modular add-on with Sony and Panasonic cameras.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

As found on Fuji X-H1

As found on the Sigma Fp.

Sony Tough SDXC cards with monobloc construction.

It's a modular add-on with Sony and Panasonic cameras.

So one other camera only does Punch in focus... 

And one other camera does SSD recording...

I hadn't seen these new tough SD cards.  Worth noting for my Panasonic cameras.  ;)

I recall looking at the Panasonic XLR Module.. but I'm talking about what the Pocket 4K has internally over other cameras.

Aside from the Fuji, it does speak much when a basic function like punch in focus can't be found on any other mirrorless or DSLR.  This is more criminal given that the smaller 3" screens often employed on these cameras makes focusing harder and what with the Panasonics poor AF, quite essential I would say.

But all cameras have their faults and omissions that are surprising. :)