Camera company staff dramas on GlassDoor

Andrew Reid

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Arguably I'd say owner op gear is a better choice, as they know it better and look after it better. 

However going the path of rentals does kinda CYA ("cover your ass"), giving you a scapegoat to point your finger at if something goes wrong. 

Owner-ops generally don't have a back-up ready to be hand delivered if anything goes wrong though!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

The point is that Andrew can only write a review based on his experience with the camera and his experience with their customer service. He never said that the BM image or what they offer at the price point is bad, he merely wrote his experiences with it... what more can a blogger do?

I appreciate Andrew's insights into his use of the camera.  His experiences are why I am holding back a little on the Pocket 6K and sticking to the 4K.  I've no issue with the reports he gave on the problems he had with both the camera and BM.  They are useful articles to read and why I come here.

Some of the comments in this thread have gone beyond that though and when I see mention of BM apologists and fanboys, it almost begins to feel that users of the camera are being blamed for liking the camera. :)

Am I an apologist or fanboy for having a good experience with both BM and the Pocket? ;)

I wouldn't say that but irritates a little, non-users actually, very true, the fact BMD devours any competitors. A bit like I can't take one side, I believe.

I guess a two-face's coin as much as brand's arrogance to truly say it as well from what I've seen.

Still the best camera manufacturer IMO, no matter what : ) but hey, I am an user so I am suspect :- D

Has anyone noticed P6K is even more affordable now?

You can buy it without taxes for £1,740 / €2K (less than 3/5 of a S1H)

Simply irresistible, my fav hybrid BTW

Without mention in EU, you have 2 years of warranty, no more excuses fellows ; )

To those who never used one, just take the focus assist once, you won't miss AF anymore... ; -)

15 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

Owner-ops generally don't have a back-up ready to be hand delivered if anything goes wrong though!

I'll often have a back up right here with me

Sure, I don't have a second Sound Devices 833 (or say a 2nd PMW-F3) but I do have a spare Zaxcom Maxx (or a BMPCC, to carry on giving a camera analogy). 

• Administrators

I am 100% biased.

I am ok with anyone liking the camera if it works for them.

When you have been treated like shit direct by Blackmagic reps and employee, and you read stories from others and certain whistleblowers on GlassDoor, it's a total turn off. I don't think I'll buy another product from them.

Separate to that I just think the cameras are overhyped and under-featured compared to mirrorless cameras like the A7 III, X-T3, S1, Fp and many more.

Lastly there is the form factor, I don't like to rig my small cameras. I like to keep them small and integrated as a single unit.

I don't want to have to add basics like an EVF just to see what I am shooting outdoors, and that screen goes invisible in anything but darkness.

So in my opinion a PITA to use, overhyped, from a company who has treated me like shit.

So yes I am based, make of that what you will :)

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am 100% biased.

I am ok with anyone liking the camera if it works for them.

When you have been treated like shit direct by Blackmagic reps and employee, and you read stories from others and certain whistleblowers on GlassDoor, it's a total turn off. I don't think I'll buy another product from them.

Separate to that I just think the cameras are overhyped and under-featured compared to mirrorless cameras like the A7 III, X-T3, S1, Fp and many more.

Lastly there is the form factor, I don't like to rig my small cameras. I like to keep them small and integrated as a single unit.

I don't want to have to add basics like an EVF just to see what I am shooting outdoors, and that screen goes invisible in anything but darkness.

So in my opinion a PITA to use, overhyped, from a company who has treated me like shit.

So yes I am based, make of that what you will :)

Well, any reviews that has the BMD camera will now be suspect.  Sad.  Oh well, objectiveness was fun while it lasted.  Well, BMD better start sucking soon because if they continue to be "good", Andrew will be that kid who has his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed mumbling -- "I don't care; you suck.. I don't care; you suck..."  After a while, he will lose credibility and people will stop caring about what he says.  People will then ask why Andrew hates BMD so much, and Andrew will yell out "I didn't get invited to BMD's bday party; other kids (fuji, panasonic, sigma, etc..) invited me to their bday party.. and BMD is a poopy head."

Hhahaha.. just kidding, Andrew's forum, his rules :-)  It's just gear after a while.  It just seems so emotional to me.

Andrew is right in so many things on topic. It's a shame on them, not him.

I disagree about form factor though.

Its use is completely organic in my hands, more than those other shitty ergonomics, I'm sorry but that's the way I feel the world leftover since I've put my hands on mine : )

P6K to come soon if they won't release a FF this NAB or around : -)

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'll often have a back up right here with me

Sure, I don't have a second Sound Devices 833 (or say a 2nd PMW-F3) but I do have a spare Zaxcom Maxx (or a BMPCC, to carry on giving a camera analogy). 

Ah yes, for sound gear it probably is a lot more common for an owner-op to have backups. But they're probably hired more often as an all-in-one package, are they not? Whereas on a commercial the 1AC will go and pick up all of the camera gear the day before a shoot and return in the day after, I've never met a soundie who had to do the same, because they've all have their own gear!

12 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I'm thinking (hoping) they'll have one of two things at NAB (or just before, like their announcements for the past few years):

1) USRA Mini Pro LF 6K

or

2) URSA Micro - the P6K sensor in a small, brick-like body with more I/O options.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Andrew is right in so many things on topic. It's a shame on them, not him.

I disagree about form factor though.

Its use is completely organic in my hands, more than those other shitty ergonomics, I'm sorry but that's the way I feel the world leftover since I've put my hands on mine : )

It's not so much the form factor, as in the overall shape and I love small cameras :)

It is more so aspects of handling within the body - such as the lack of good screen visibility in daylight, lack of articulated screen without Chinese DIY mod & voiding warranty, lack of EVF and IBIS, you know, the kind of stuff we get for under $1000 on mirrorless cameras as standard and have done for 6+ years.

A bit lazy of them if you ask me.

OK, some just want a sensor and cinematic in a box. Some charm to that. Simplicity is good and AF/IBIS makes me lazy / less disciplined in terms of shooting style.

Still, I have to compare it to the mirrorless cameras in terms of how much of a "shot getter" it is and how comfortable it is to use.

Glorious image on the LCD and great menus do redeem it somewhat.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Still, I have to compare it to the mirrorless cameras in terms of how much of a "shot getter" it is and how comfortable it is to use.

This is why the IBIS in a Canon (finally) is going to be so attractive and hard to pass up even with a bit of crippling in other specs.

Battery life weather resistance is also extremely important to me. Some of the best shots are in adverse conditions. 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:27 AM, Andrew Reid said:

With SmallHD and others making affordable high-bright screens which are daylight viewable, this doesn't seem like such a big deal?

14 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

This is why the IBIS in a Canon (finally) is going to be so attractive and hard to pass up even with a bit of crippling in other specs.

what if they implement IBIS worse than Sony? No thanks

We want Panasonic levels of IBIS!

On 2/13/2020 at 5:23 AM, Emanuel said:

There is already a Pocket 6K though???

On 2/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, barefoot_dp said:

Ah yes, for sound gear it probably is a lot more common for an owner-op to have backups. But they're probably hired more often as an all-in-one package, are they not? Whereas on a commercial the 1AC will go and pick up all of the camera gear the day before a shoot and return in the day after, I've never met a soundie who had to do the same, because they've all have their own gear!

Yup, we're always expecting to own our own gear. (then producers are shocked our rates are so high... ??? They're not! You're spending waaaaaaaaaaay more on the camera dept labour + rentals!)

But anyway, my point is why shouldn't it be unreasonable to expect the DoP has a BMPCC4K / GH5S / whatever standing by if this is a critical shoot? 

And indeed, on many big budget shoots they'll often have a spare camera rented on standby "just in case" (especially if shooting on RED! Or on any very newly released camera, such as VENICE straight after it came out)

On 2/13/2020 at 5:35 PM, barefoot_dp said:

I'm thinking (hoping) they'll have one of two things at NAB (or just before, like their announcements for the past few years):

1) USRA Mini Pro LF 6K

or

2) URSA Micro - the P6K sensor in a small, brick-like body with more I/O options.

I'm hoping for the URSA Micro with the P4K sensor in it! (and ND filters)

22 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not so much the form factor, as in the overall shape and I love small cameras :)

It is more so aspects of handling within the body - such as the lack of good screen visibility in daylight, lack of articulated screen without Chinese DIY mod & voiding warranty, lack of EVF and IBIS, you know, the kind of stuff we get for under $1000 on mirrorless cameras as standard and have done for 6+ years.

A bit lazy of them if you ask me.

OK, some just want a sensor and cinematic in a box. Some charm to that. Simplicity is good and AF/IBIS makes me lazy / less disciplined in terms of shooting style.

Glorious image on the LCD and great menus do redeem it somewhat.

Me too and Sigma is really tempting but I think Aussies' contribution to bring that interface design is really unique and closer to filmmaking process to match the properties of their IQ outcome. Still in the lightweight camp and truly a champ. Main reason why I am with them.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

With SmallHD and others making affordable high-bright screens which are daylight viewable, this doesn't seem like such a big deal?

I don't want to make my mirrorless camera look like a cinema camera, it's that simple. You can't grab shots in public as discreetly, make mood pieces (like moving street photography), and on a music video shoot it is a PITA to babysit a second device, with second battery and second boot-up time. Then there is the balance of the rig, the centre of gravity for handheld work, the wobbly HDMI cable I absolutely can't stand. The actual camera movement is impacted by the lopsided top heavy mounting of a monitor. To balance the weight you have to add more weight. Before you know it, you have a spider rig that weighs more than a fully integrated, dedicated camera camera and that for me was the total opposite of what mirrorless cameras were supposed to be. I started EOSHD to get away from all that.

I am 100% anti monitor, anti external add-ons.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Me too and Sigma is really tempting but I think Aussies' contribution to bring that interface design is really unique and closer to filmmaking process to match the properties of their IQ outcome. Still in the lightweight camp and truly a champ. Main reason why I am with them.

Truly the lightweight camp with me as well, I never want to pick up an Alexa, it's a camera for a crew on a set. It isn't for documentary or one-one man auteur projects. Going down in size to something like a C200 isn't even my cup of tea. I want a picture in the palm of my hand, nimble as the human eye, with minimal controls and no clutter to distract from the art of filmmaking. More and more filmmakers even on Hollywood projects are attracted to this style of shooting for the B-cam and alternative angles.... I find it personally liberating for my kind of style.

If only the Blackmagic Pocket 6K was fully integrated with the brighter screen and EVF.

Just the brighter screen would have cost $20 more in manufacturing costs per unit perhaps, thus covered by a $40 increase in the price of each unit.

$40 to see the screen in direct sunlight.

Deal?

Come on Blackmagic... Do this concept justice. Amazing price, amazing image, amazing UI but lazy execution as a whole.

It could be much more than 40$ - something about much more power needed for such monitor that make out of balance in total for all components. I escaped of buying 2200 nit monitor because of very high consuming power vs other of 1000 nit. It could change whole circuit concept started for cooling, distributing power for other tasks etc. At least we can see how great it might be 5 inch monitor, it seems that others still don't think at all about it in their bombastic announcing. And not strangely, first who may give us step further in that direction, is again from m43 camp, i. e. Sharp. I'm pretty sure that BM unique philosophy exactly is not to cripple anything - but, contrary, being in constant rush to be the first to give everything they at the moment have in operative disposal.

• Administrators

The display on a modern smartphone (very high nit and OLED too), costs in the region of $80

https://www.eetasia.com/news/article/18032605-galaxy-s9-plus-dissected-bom-revealed

Although this is mass produced in very high quantities and in-house at Samsung, a big part of that cost is down to it being cutting edge and curved at the edges, custom made for one product and not an off the shelf part.

All we ask of the Pocket cameras is a brighter panel - not even OLED and certainly no need for curves or cutting edge manufacturing.

Even if you double the cost of the display, you're probably not going to have to raise the price of the camera significantly in order to absorb the cost at retail... Perhaps by $50.

And your sales will go up because it's a better product you're giving people.

Blackmagic has plenty of suppliers in Asia that can provide them with a good enough screen.

Look for one yourself and tell me the price, you may be surprised at what you find.

The more you order, the lower the price, so factor that in too. Order a batch of 1000 and see how the price falls.

I just don't think it was ever a priority to see the Pocket's screen in daylight, the thought didn't pass between the ears of Blackmagic managers.

It it were a high priority, they'd have spent the dosh and sorted out the problem.

Instead we have a near uselessly dim view of our image outdoors.

And we're stuck with it on both the 4K and 6K, nothing changed in-between to justify the doubling of the price (apart from the new sensor and lens mount).

Does Blackmagic's office have doors without hinges and they climb through cat flaps?

Common sense doesn't seem to be their forte.

Otherwise said screen would also have a hinge like in the DIY mods.

As the old saying goes... if you want something doing properly DO IT YOURSELF

As far as is written Apple promised that mighty iPhone 11 will have 625 nit screen. Actually, BM screen is around the same max nit value. Anything less than 1000 is unusable on sunny day. Also common sense type 2 may say that 5 inch screen on hinge doesn't allow enough comfortable  (or not at all) usage of HDMI, audio, usb, power connectors - it obviously could be made, but for the price that some other type of usage must be severely sacrificed.

Of course, having suggest potential arguments of common sense type 2, I'll also wish that screen has 1000 nit. But it seems to me that BM treat screen as not too important bonus addition. Iтt could really be matter of preferences - wouldn't it be actually better if there's not any screen, and instead of it just box as Z-cam: even  without it, price is 800e different. They choose to put screen, as step toward casual and travel shooter, or shooting on tripod in interiors  - they might choose also to cut screen for easier rigging and gimbal usage, but it might be solution for new addition to Micro-type line.

At any case, if there are obvious logic argument for any side of proposed solution, I simply can't call any as lack of common sense.