A7S might be skipped again due to coronavirus outbreak

ntblowz

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-coronavirus-outbreak-in-china-could-affect-image-sensor-and-electronics-business-enormously/

Luckily for Canon most of their product is Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan, and Olympus move all their stuff to Vietnam so wont be affected, wondering about Nikon and Panasonic will it affect them too? Since some of their stuff is made in China.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Sony: Please buy the FX9 instead

And we'll bundle a free copy of Half Life 3 (by redemption only in 2035)

Also FX9 now comes with Sony Club voucher. For just £500 per month, you get free camera upgrades for life* (firmware upgrades only).

* May be shortened due to coronavirus

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Let's face it folks, the a7S mk3 is NEVER coming out! 

Sony is still trying to figure out a way to position the a7siii.  It cannot take away sales from the FS line, but yet be good enough to capture the advance hobbist/ lower end professional market.  Every time the company thinks it got it figured out, competition is raising the bar and Sony has to go back to the drawing board.

If sony isn't careful, after a while, the competition is going to steam roll over the FS line.

55 minutes ago, eleison said:

Sony is still trying to figure out a way to position the a7siii.  It cannot take away sales from the FS line, but yet be good enough to capture the advance hobbist/ lower end professional market.  Every time the company thinks it got it figured out, competition is raising the bar and Sony has to go back to the drawing board.

If sony isn't careful, after a while, the competition is going to steam roll over the FS line.

People who use the FS cameras do so because of the form factor and connectivity of those products. The a7S series are hybrids, and address a completely different market space and function. There will not be any significant competition no matter how similar the specs might be. Different tools for different purposes. A pro is going to use the right tool, not the cheapest one. Cost is primarily an issue in the consumer market space, and almost none of those folk buy FS products anyway.

So the a7SIII is not going to take sales away from the FS line. That is not an issue for Sony, it is only an issue for the conspiracy theorists.

14 hours ago, ntblowz said:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-coronavirus-outbreak-in-china-could-affect-image-sensor-and-electronics-business-enormously/

Luckily for Canon most of their product is Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan, and Olympus move all their stuff to Vietnam so wont be affected, wondering about Nikon and Panasonic will it affect them too? Since some of their stuff is made in China.

Sony sensors are made in Japan as well, but the thing is that critical parts of the supply chain originate in China (specifically rare earths), this will be true for all of the other manufacturers as well, including Canon, no matter where they produce final products.

31 minutes ago, Mokara said:

People who use the FS cameras do so because of the form factor and connectivity of those products. The a7S series are hybrids, and address a completely different market space and function. There will not be any significant competition no matter how similar the specs might be. Different tools for different purposes. A pro is going to use the right tool, not the cheapest one. Cost is primarily an issue in the consumer market space, and almost none of those folk buy FS products anyway.

So the a7SIII is not going to take sales away from the FS line. That is not an issue for Sony, it is only an issue for the conspiracy theorists.

Tell that to Sony because for some reason the codec, video quality, things unrelated to form factor and connectivity seems to always be hampered in the A7 series cameras as compared to the FS line.

Let Sony create a "hybrid" camera that has the same video quality as the pocket 4k.  Do you think they would do it, or do you think they don't have the technology to do it?  I think they don't really want to do it because it will hurt their FS sales.  you can always make a small camera bigger, but you cannot make a big camera smaller.

By the way, the A7Sii has been used in Hollywood movies.  I can infer from this, to some professionals, the A7Sii can replace the FS line for movie/shorts production.  I.e., the A7S line can and has taken away sales from the FS line.

55 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Sony sensors are made in Japan as well, but the thing is that critical parts of the supply chain originate in China (specifically rare earths), this will be true for all of the other manufacturers as well, including Canon, no matter where they produce final products.

Exactly, and this applies to many many industries, not just sensors and cameras.

39 minutes ago, eleison said:

Tell that to Sony because for some reason the codec, video quality, things unrelated to form factor and connectivity seems to always be hampered in the A7 series cameras as compared to the FS line.

Let Sony create a "hybrid" camera that has the same video quality as the pocket 4k.  Do you think they would do it, or do you think they don't have the technology to do it?  I think they don't really want to do it because it will hurt their FS sales.  you can always make a small camera bigger, but you cannot make a big camera smaller.

By the way, the A7Sii has been used in Hollywood movies.  I can infer from this, to some professionals, the A7Sii can replace the FS line for movie/shorts production.  I.e., the A7S line can and has taken away sales from the FS line.

That is a consequence of the form factor. The FS cameras can be cooled properly, that allows more performance from their processors, which in turn allows for greater specs. It has nothing to do with conspiracies and everything to do with basic physics.

Just because SOME people have used a specific camera does not mean that EVERYONE will use it. Gopro cameras are sometimes used in pro shoots, that doesn't mean that Gopro cameras are replacing professional cameras, it just means that they might be more suitable for some shots. Sometimes people will use a less appropriate product just because, other times because it is being used for specific scenario where the superior equipment might be less suitable because of the demands for that particular shot.

• Administrators

I think it's just that Sony decided to play the waiting game... but a waiting game with Canon ends up taking forfucking ever.

Canon are the slowest company on Earth. The staff are all 9-5pm and spend 80% of that time trying to understand the Japanese management.

When the EOS R5/R6 is announced I am sure as hell Sony will pull the trigger.

In the meantime they are quite happy selling FX9 and A7 III

2 hours ago, eleison said:

I do believe that Sony is "protecting" their cinema camera range by crippling the features/specs in their a7 / a6x00 range. 

But also, the fact *ALL* (even their mk3 models, which was meant to "fix" that) of their mirrorless models overheat makes me think that they're not just protecting their cinema cameras, but that Sony has hit genuine technical issues with their mirrorless models which holds them back. 

3 hours ago, eleison said:

I rarely work with an a7 series camera (think there was only one web series I did last year? They were shooting multi camera and couldn't afford more than one FS7 at a time. Oh, plus a second time I just remembered! A low budget corporate shoot, that was again multicam) as usually if they can afford a sound recordist then they're shooting with the likes of a FS7 or better. But I can see via social media there are heaps and heaps of young film grads / wedding videographers / etc who are choosing mirrorless. There definitely are sales being stolen away.