letus anamorphic

johnwe

No worries.Burnet.

Letus Anamorphic adapter operation.

focus prime, focus adapter , precision focus prime.

In practice its faster and  simpler than it sounds. The adapter has  a massive long throw focusing wheel which is  moving part of  the adapter nearly an inch back and forth.

Also its not really like the other anamorphic  adapters I've tested in the sense  that once you are in generally area of focus (adapter)  you can then rack focus with the prime only. important

and to be clear the adapter does  focus very close,  closer  than most of your primes, we were just testing  macro capability  which isn't really a fair test. From my (limited ) knowledge of current anamorphic systems the sharpness of our close image (without any extra diopters etc) sample is pretty impressive.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another very (very) rough test.

Pulling focus (by hand) on the Letus anamorphic adapter. on a monopod.

focusing Prime lens only, anamorphic fixed.

5D3 ML RAW with 50mm 1.2  at F4

Obviously not  a very fair test 2 feet to 25 is extreme but gives the general idea what to expect.

Also just received the 77mm filter to connect lens direct to adapter, absolutely essential.

The adapter will now connect to lens and camera without Rails (reducing size) but its  a lot weight, hand held is good but would probably damage lens over time on a tripod.

Thank you for continuing to post tests, Procter.  

Seems to be it's not THAT easy to get in focus, but when it does, it's nice?  Quite a bit of this footage has that slightly out of phase look of a focused taking lenses and slightly out adapter, to me.  

I liked this moment, a lot.

Still on the fence, but getting closer.

do1EmVr.png

yes focus is off, but thats probably me not adapter, bit unfair  to the product was walking  around in the rain, with a rain cover,  at dusk  without rig on a  50mm at 1.2 or 1.8  kind a asking for trouble, but i do have my own agenda.

nice  choice  of  frame  by the way.  The magic lantern 5D3  i think is  incredible

Understood and, thank you.  I was sensing that was the situation but good to confirm.  

Agreed on 5D3 ML.

Leaning towards a buy...although with the GH '4k' supposedly coming out tomorrow (I'm a lumix guy) I wonder about the supposed 4k version of the Letus...*sigh* gear acquisition syndrome, haha...just want a damn cinema camera with a fast anamorphic zoom on it for cheap, haha, is that too much to ask?

Just found this which had eluded my googling and Vimeoing before with some careful digging on twitter.  Wide shots are on the Anamorphx.  

Timothy Cirvan has hands one and someone I interacted with via Letus that claims to be testing the GH4 has and loves the AnamophX as well...seems out there and liked just not a lot of footage floating around...

That Letus 1.33x is massive. I hope it allows for wide angles.

Damn it sure does look massive.  Maybe 2x the size of the SLR Magic Anamorphot and 1.5x the LA7200.  It's all in the image though.  I'm surprised there isn't more footage out there either.  Maybe they're still tweaking the image/coating?  I look forward to it although I'd like to see more footage.

There were a lot of issues with that review, if I remember correctly, it came out just after the thing was released and was much discussed over on BMCuser.

I have seen a lot of twitter people with their hands on the adapter about to test who suddenly go quiet or have posted nothing.  There was one on the GH4 week before last.  But no footage.  Waiting for some of that before pulling the trigger.

A pretty extensive review 

I must admit that damn thing is huge.  HUGE.  I guess they didn't want to mess with drop-in diopters, but damn it's huge!  I laugh at the GH4 pic handheld because there's no way you can handhold this thing.  And the focus/aspect ratio shift is insane.  Is this really worth getting?  Wouldn't it be easier to just rent a true anamorphic lens rather than deal with this?  Or just get the SLR Magic Anamorphot.  At least I get very few looks with the SLR Magic Anamorphot when shooting in public.  Try that with the Letus and you'll get fucking stares at it.