Best way to shoot 180fps anamorphic with the gh5

Marty

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So how can I shoot slow motion 2x anamorphic ? Won't the de-squeeze function work ?

Can I somehow get at least 4:3 format + slow motion ? Why so much bragging about features if you can't even use them together ? Do I have to crop to 16:9 ? What kind of 180fps anamorphic result will it give then ? 720p ? 640p? , something like that..?

17 minutes ago, Marty said:

So how can I shoot slow motion 2x anamorphic ? Won't the de-squeeze function work ?

Can I somehow get at least 4:3 format + slow motion ? Why so much bragging about features if you can't even use them together ? Do I have to crop to 16:9 ? What kind of 180fps anamorphic result will it give then ? 720p ? 640p? , something like that..?

You can use slomo up to 60fps in anamorphic mode, that's all.

Otherwise you'll be stuck with cropping the sides of the 1080p 16/9 frame. You will end up with something like a 1440/1080 video with the sides chopped up. There will also be a 30% crop factor to take into account.

As i told you. If my math are correct, a 4/3 crop into a 16/9 frame, you're gonna end up with a 1440/1080 image in 4/3. But a 4/3 frame once desqueezed will you give you a 2.66 ratio. So if you really want a 2.39 aspect ratio, you're going to crop a little bit more. That should give you around 1270 pixels horizontally and 1080 vertically as this one remains untouched. 

Long story short, you're going to lose quite a bit in horizontal resolution if you do that. 

15 hours ago, Grimor said:

If you really need those 180fps just anamorfake. You can intercut slomo "faked" with real 2x anamorphic as @Tito Ferradans just do. 

Thanks but I'm not too much into flares and blur for now, I'm more into sharpness and squeeze compression. I don't like the idea of anamorfake, so I guess the crop will do. I just don't know if I can expect good quality or not. I'd like at least to match the resolution of 1080p anamorphic bluray movies.
I'm pretty angry at panasonic and those reviewers who don't even mention essential things like the impossibility to have very slow motion combined with 4:3, in what's presented as a 4:3 very slow motion camera.

It's not like I'm rich, I won't be into that game of spending three of four months of savings for the next imperfect camera every two years. I won't buy a camera before 10 years.