Canon EOS R6

independent

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not having log would completely suck. Its the reason I still haven't considered buying 1dx MK2

Yes, but I can't see Canon putting C-Log in a lower-tier camera, unless they want to cannibalise their own EOS R and 5D IV
I can see them saving costs on the sensor as well and leave it with the lower dynamic range, so it would be really noisy in the shadows anyway, even if it did come with Log. This is something they can still decide on via firmware, like they did with 5D IV or 1080p24p recording, ugh...

It would also suck somewhat for 1DX II owners, if it did come with better dynamic range besides other DSLR related things like fixed screen, no EVF, no IBIS, no low-bitrate 4K codec, etc. all is well-known. I'm still seeing great-looking 1DX II footage even with custom-made profiles, this camera could make that level of video performance much more accessible in a very light and compact camera body.

22 minutes ago, padam said:

Yes, but I can't see Canon putting C-Log in a lower-tier camera, unless they want to cannibalise their own EOS R and 5D IV
I can see them saving costs on the sensor as well and leave it with the lower dynamic range, so it would be really noisy in the shadows anyway, even if it did come with Log. This is something they can still decide on via firmware, like they did with 5D IV or 1080p24p recording, ugh...

It would also suck somewhat for 1DX II owners, if it did come with better dynamic range besides other DSLR related things like fixed screen, no EVF, no IBIS, no low-bitrate 4K codec, etc. all is well-known. I'm still seeing great-looking 1DX II footage even with custom-made profiles, this camera could make that level of video performance much more accessible in a very light and compact camera body.

ehh I don't know, its time for the 1DX MK2 to die. Its already got a successor that blows it away. 
I am hoping the R6 will be priced above the EOS R and below the R5. 

31 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

ehh I don't know, its time for the 1DX MK2 to die. Its already got a successor that blows it away. 
I am hoping the R6 will be priced above the EOS R and below the R5. 

For sure, but it also costs close to twice as much money-wise, and used prices will drop even further beyond that.
Yep, that is the other option, although the cheaper build quality over the R might be an indicator that Canon is thinking it would sell it in much greater numbers, if they just price it under the competition and cripple it more, while also being ahead in other areas (the main headline of the A7III is still price per features)

39 minutes ago, independent said:

If it has full frame 4K, 10-bit internal codecs, IBIS, and of course dual pixel AF, it’ll kill in $2K market. 

It may have it (on some recording modes) without the better internal codecs and Canon Log. And the uncropped 4K rolling shutter is probably bad.
But being in the Canon ecosystem with 4k60p and IBIS means it will sell well, no matter what.

Consider R went down to $1299 during sales the R6 will definitely be priced above R.

And since it will mainly target A7iii and upcoming A7IV crowd they will make sure the spec gonna at least match or blow A7IV out of water.

If R6 can offer RAW video surely they gonna grab some shares from Blackmagic pocket cameras. (BMPCC 6k just dropped to $1999, wondering do they know something we dont know about R6?)

22 minutes ago, independent said:

I imagine rolling shutter won’t be great for either the r5 and r6. Cinema lines instead. Although I hope it won’t be as bad the the R. It was a deal breaker for me. 

R5 will have Canon's fastest on-chip ADC from 1DX III with readout speed at 174Kp/s @ 12bit, compared to Sony's current gen of 180Kp/s.

With this data, the 45MP sensor can scan DCI 8K at 40fps so rolling shutter will be around 25ms.

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

R5 will have Canon's fastest on-chip ADC from 1DX III with readout speed at 174Kp/s @ 12bit, compared to Sony's current gen of 180Kp/s.

With this data, the 45MP sensor can scan DCI 8K at 40fps so rolling shutter will be around 25ms.

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Mark-III---Beste-4K-EOS-ohne-Cinema-Logo--FullHD--25-100fps---Rolling-Shutter---Fazit-Signalver.html#Fazit
According to this test the 1DX III rolling shutter is 32ms in full sensor mode up to 30p (according to a different measurement, it is 28ms and the EOS R measured on that is also 28ms, so it is exactly same as the R)

Interestingly, it does improve to 16ms when switched to full sensor 60p and the AF gets disabled (so twice as good as the EOS R).

Not sure how it affects things, but the R5 will have the AF enabled, so if it runs is a similar mode as the 1DX III, the rolling shutter could be very severe in 8K and even worse than the 1DX III, unless it is something very special compared to the 1DX III.
If not, they may not use the full sensor in either of the 4K recording modes to make the rolling shutter much better.

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

Maybe, but what kind of rolling shutter will we be seeing in 4K 24/25p? That’s more important to most of us, I believe.

I was really disappointed with the 1dx III in 4K and 5,5k at 24p. It’s worse than the Sony A*000.

And I’m m certain the R6 with the 20mpx sensor won’t Be any better than the 1dxIII in that regard.

5 hours ago, padam said:

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Mark-III---Beste-4K-EOS-ohne-Cinema-Logo--FullHD--25-100fps---Rolling-Shutter---Fazit-Signalver.html#Fazit
According to this test the 1DX III rolling shutter is 32ms in full sensor mode up to 30p (according to a different measurement, it is 28ms and the EOS R measured on that is also 28ms, so it is exactly same as the R)

Interestingly, it does improve to 16ms when switched to full sensor 60p and the AF gets disabled (so twice as good as the EOS R).

Not sure how it affects things, but the R5 will have the AF enabled, so if it runs is a similar mode as the 1DX III, the rolling shutter could be very severe in 8K and even worse than the 1DX III, unless it is something very special compared to the 1DX III.
If not, they may not use the full sensor in either of the 4K recording modes to make the rolling shutter much better.

Can't be much worst than this as it will not make it in time for 30fps..... as we know that 4k 60 and 120 also have DPAF either are cropped or pixel binned or it is a big improvement over 1Dx III..... hope is the last one but in fact I could not find that 60 or 120fps are not cropped or pixel binned or both

If it is a more dense 1Dx III sensor then we will may have:
8k 30fps FF same rolling as 1Dx III
4k 30fps FF super sampled same rolling as 1Dx III
4k 60fps crop 16ms rolling
4k 120fps FF or crop pixel binned 7ms rolling

Again if it would do 4k 120fps FF super sampled they would have done a huge advancement in sensor/cpu but we can always hope and dream. I doubt that they have the tech to do 4k FF 120fps with DPAF super sampled and did not put it in the C500 II or 1Dx III.... but still possible.

How many FF sensors can do 4k 120fps uncropped?  On top of my head I don't recall any .......

Honestly even if it has these limitations and if it priced around  the 5d IV release price it will still be an amazing camera just not the monster that all people are dreaming of...

28 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Can't be much worst than this as it will not make it in time for 30fps..... as we know that 4k 60 and 120 also have DPAF either are cropped or pixel binned or it is a big improvement over 1Dx III..... hope is the last one but in fact I could not find that 60 or 120fps are not cropped or pixel binned or both

Funny that an older press release started with: Canon reveals further EOS R5 details – shutting down speculation that some specs are ‘impossible’

Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)

Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)

I expect the image to soften at every higher frame rate (does not matter since it leaves rival behind by far) and maybe some crop will be available as well.
But I don't expect great rolling shutter, when it reads the whole sensor. Maybe the IBIS will help to combat some of that, we'll see.

1 hour ago, padam said:

Funny that an older press release started with: Canon reveals further EOS R5 details – shutting down speculation that some specs are ‘impossible’

Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)

Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)

I expect the image to soften at every higher frame rate (does not matter since it leaves rival behind by far) and maybe some crop will be available as well.
But I don't expect great rolling shutter, when it reads the whole sensor. Maybe the IBIS will help to combat some of that, we'll see.

Mmmh could not find any official press release that mention 4k 60 or 120 is FF....

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200420-Dev/20200420-Dev

Here they just mention it has 8k and 4k DCI FF but not at which frame rate

5 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Mmmh could not find any official press release that mention 4k 60 or 120 is FF....

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200420-Dev/20200420-Dev

Here they just mention it has 8k and 4k DCI FF but not at which frame rate

https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2020/04/canon-eos-r5-specs-revealed/

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

How many FF sensors can do 4k 120fps uncropped?  On top of my head I don't recall any .......

I think, maybe:
Sony CineAlta VENICE
https://pro.sony/en_BI/press/venice-high-frame-rate-4k-120fps-mea

Z Cam E2-F6
4096 x 1728p up to 120 fps 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496581-REG/z_cam_e2_f6_professional_full_frame_6k.html/specs

I think that is it? Kinefinity Mavo LF can do FF 5K Wide at 86fps, but nothing else seems to get close to 120fps. 

3 minutes ago, padam said:

boy is a dejavue it was the same for the 1dx iii different text between us and europe... but yes if this is correct then is FF 120fps 4k if it is supersampled would be a major achivement and if it is pixel binned still quite impressive.....

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think, maybe:
Sony CineAlta VENICE
https://pro.sony/en_BI/press/venice-high-frame-rate-4k-120fps-mea

Z Cam E2-F6
4096 x 1728p up to 120 fps 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496581-REG/z_cam_e2_f6_professional_full_frame_6k.html/specs

I think that is it? Kinefinity Mavo LF can do FF 5K Wide at 86fps, but nothing else seems to get close to 120fps. 

Venice is s35 at 120 fps in v4