Canon EOS R6

independent

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice to know what is coming out, but it does put a lot of potential upgrades on freeze knowing the R5, R6, and Komodo are on the horizon. Those three cameras alone (not to mention a Cinema EOS camera with RF Mount) are reason enough to invest in RF mount for the foreseeable future over L-Mount, E-Mount, MFT, etc. 

Hoping the R6 basically has the 1DX III specs, but without the 5.5k raw to get the price point down.
- 10-bit 422 internal 4k up to 60fps
- 10bit 422 internal 2k up to 120fps

Add in IBIS, newer longer-lasting battery compared to EOS R, dual slots, and this would be an awesome camera. R5 will be for ruggedness, pro shooters, photographers who need 40 megapixels, and for those who need 8K, but the R6 may be the better video option for those who do mostly video. Will probably be better in low light and have no-crop in 4k, both things the R5 may struggle with a bit more. 

Despite my love for Panasonic's S1 and S1H, hard to argue with the RF Mount and once the R5, R6, and Komodo are announced, that's the direction I'll probably be going. 

11 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah also agree RF is the mount to go to. (also EF to RF adapters will work prolly great). 

I can confirm that their adapters are amazing - EF lenses work like native on EOS R. And brilliant move to add in variable ND and circular polarizers in the adapter space. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-r6-is-still-scheduled-to-be-announced-in-may-cr2

R6 will still be announced next month as rumored.

Hopefully it still have 422 10bit and clog like R5 do.  It will be using a different sensor than 1DX III even thought both are 20MP.

This is the camera that most of us will be afford to get.

R6 looks promising, I do not need 8K, if it has the features showed in the rumors plus 422 10bit, clog and DPAF, is the way to go for most of us.

• Administrators

The rumours are a shame if true. I don't want a dumbed down R6.

They should make it as good as the R5 but without 8K and with better low light performance.

There is always room for a cheaper model in addition to the R6 like an R7 which sits above the original EOS R, without some of the fancy features of the new cameras.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

They should make it as good as the R5 but without 8K and with better low light performance.

There is always room for a cheaper model in addition to the R6 like an R7 which sits above the original EOS R, without some of the fancy features of the new cameras.

If it's a new sensor, shouldn't a 20MP sensor be a lot better in low light then a 45MP sensor?

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What did you expect? The R5 is the equivalent of the 5D series, and the R6 the 6D series, which is entry level FF. If the R6 has 4K60 that’s already great. 
And considering the specs announced on the R5 I think it’s hard to complain at the moment. 

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

What did you expect? The R5 is the equivalent of the 5D series, and the R6 the 6D series, which is entry level FF. If the R6 has 4K60 that’s already great. 
And considering the specs announced on the R5 I think it’s hard to complain at the moment. 

Isn’t the EOS R or EOS RP their entry level FF 

17 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

But the R6 will have a dual card slot and the 6D never had.

39 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Isn’t the EOS R or EOS RP their entry level FF 

The EOS R is more Canon's one off failed entry into mirrorless. The EOS R is a joke in all regards. 
They might keep a RP or whatever as super low entry, I have no idea. All I am saying is the R6 is the equivalent of the 6D series. That doesn't mean they can't keep lower entry product lines. 

They might save the 4K120p for a up-sell option for the R5. Dynamic range and low-light performance will be the selling factors for which one works best for your needs...and price of course.

Has me seriously thinking about moving over to Olympus for my MFT stuff and taking the dive into FF with the EOS R5/R6. Only thing I don't like are Canon prices...ouch.

Only way Panasonic will get me to buy a GH6 now is if it has amazing AF...which is probably not going to happen. Olympus gives me good AF and a good 8-bit image (maybe 10-bit in a future firmware update).

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Why the hell won't Panasonic invest in PDAF? With their new lens lineup I really thought the S1 would be the one to make the leap but no...

Patents? They should cross license something or pay royalties to get PDAF and indeed quit fooling around with other experimental AF systems.

As the expectations because more realistic, it looks more and more clear that this camera will be a considerable step down over the R5 targeted at different users.

It is much more simplified with a mode dial, and no top LCD (maybe they can add in a joystick since they did add that to the 90D as well) and it is how a 6D Mark III would be imagined in a mirrorless body with IBIS.
So they can still make the 1DX III in a mirrorless body or maybe they will wait for the next generation of sensors and more complete lens line-up for that.
Yes, they could be lowering the megapixels to the original 6D level, but with that they can add useful video features without driving the cost up too much. I also probably does not need Digic X for processing.

I am betting will have 1:1 crop UHD 4k60p and the rolling shutter is going to better than the EOS R but not at 1DX Mark II levels.
I also expect it to omit 10-bit and Canon Log profile (not great, but expected to differentiate it)
So it would be 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264 IPB compression internally, and 8-bit 4:2:2 externally (like the EOS RP)

It would not have DPAF in 1080p 120fps (like 90D or M6 Mark II) and I am not sure if it has it in all 4K recording modes either.

It would also keep the EOS R "semi-protected" and as the cheap available option for people who want a B-cam with 10-bit 4:2:2 external Canon Log recording.

Now the question is: are they going to limit the dynamic range of the sensor only for video usage (like the 1DX Mark II) and it will be much better for still images, or it is going to remain low to being with?
Because it is still 6D-class camera, not a 5D-class like the R5, and they can keep the price as low as possible?
For the longevity, it would probably be better it to cost more and have the sensor with the better dynamic range and Canon Log for video.
That would step over the EOS R for video for sure and it's not that old yet.

I guess many will be unhappy about most of this, but even with all this crippling it looks like a decent photo/video camera, it would have some the video feature set of the 1DX Mark II with more modern codecs, flip-screen, EVF, IBIS, it does have dual card slots, etc.