Canon EOS R6

independent

Regardless the point is that internal RAW seems more appropriate and likely for Canon’s R6 20MP sensor for full frame than 4K 10-bit 422. I’d be suppressed if they downscale from 5.5k to 4K and process it into 10-bit 422 in a small body for $2500.

RAW is less demanding in a technical sense while appealing to independent creators. Price point and features-wise, this would appeal to $2K-$3K market. This also protects the professional lines. Precedence. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

If it is a 10bit Canon 1D C RAW doesn't matter.

The 1D C had a talent for nailing the Hollywood look in any light.

Bullet proof white balance.

Cinematic colour science with silky warm tones and dramatic cool tones in one shot when asked of it. No weirdness.

And this was in 8bit!

It takes years of experience, not to mention talent to grade like this but 1D C did it in-cam in real-time.

Imagine how good it's going to look in 10bit.

Sony you are finished :)

50 minutes ago, independent said:

the point is that internal RAW seems more appropriate and likely for Canon’s R6 20MP sensor for full frame than 4K 10-bit 422.

Nothing in the rumour indicates this. I hope your right but would bet you’re not. If you‘re really expecting raw on a lower range Canon, prepare for disapointment.

I don't get why people think this will be a budget option just based on megapixels. The most expensive cameras in the game (the built in battery grips of the 1DX (and whatever the Nikon variant is) and the Sony A9) are low megapixel cameras: 20-24 megapixels. I don't see how Canon can put out something lower than the RP that is full-frame. That camera is like a great toy.

Instead, I think the R6 could the more video-oriented RF camera - with the specs of the 1DX III but without the built-in battery grip.

People are a bit too optimistic.... if the R6 will use the 1Dx III sensor, as it could be view that it has the same mpixels and same 20 fps in electronic mode, in a cheaper model it will probably be 4k 30fps FF and 4k 60 fps 1.3 crop hopefully at 10 bit 4:2:2. Question is if FF is super sampled or not. If no CFExpress then no RAW for sure.

7 hours ago, Michi said:

Not only based on MP, but based on the name and the rumored specs too. Following Canons DSLR naming logic, what you hope for would be the R1. 

That's true, but still doesn't seem like there is any room beneath the RP. That camera is going to be $750-800 by the time the R6 comes out - and doesn't do even close to what the R6 is rumored to do.

I would say the R6 is more like the 6D line and the RP is basically a full-frame Rebel. Also seems like the EOS R and EOS RP will be drop out of the naming structure and were just one-offs to get people into the RF system, use old technology to keep costs down, and give them enough time to get a great selection of lenses out.

This R5 and R6 launch could be viewed as Canon's REAL launch into mirrorless cameras. 

Clearly the new processor in the 1DX is pretty capable. That leaves thermal head room in an R body.

They super sample in the 1DX. My guess is they will stick with SD cards, which means no RAW at ridiculous bitrates. Which is fine with me. 10-bit Canon Log is more than capable at 480Mbps+ All-I.

Current V90 cards can handle up to 640Mbps leaving a 80Mbps headroom for I/O overhead.

For the record, I'd take either internal 10-bit 422 or RAW in this camera. I just hope Canon offers more than 8-bit internally. The external HDMI output is definitely a potential for handicapping, which I hope they avoid. Either way, these specs are approaching the C500 II and 1DX III's, and in certain ways surpassing the C300 II and C200's. And offering IBIS that none of those cameras have. So you have to figure something has to give.

2 hours ago, currensheldon said:

This R5 and R6 launch could be viewed as Canon's REAL launch into mirrorless cameras. 

Completely agree! Let‘s hope the rumored specs are not too far off. 
And once these cameras are released, the EOS R will probably fade away, maybe even the RP. Although that one might stay as the lowest budget option... 

59 minutes ago, Michi said:

Completely agree! Let‘s hope the rumored specs are not too far off. 
And once these cameras are released, the EOS R will probably fade away, maybe even the RP. Although that one might stay as the lowest budget option... 

I think R and RP just become low budget model to attract newcomer, it doesnt cost them much to produce in the first place since it mostly based on old tech, so R&D cost is really small.

The R firesale at $1299 last dec definitely helped.. hence all the new comeback to R videos popping up on Youtube after released for a year.

Canon doesn’t really put out new tech until they have it down, so I would think the IBIS would be closer to Panasonic’s than the not great IBIS of Sony. Don’t know about Nikon. 

but Canon has a history of being late to the party but having tech and gear that just works and works great in a variety of conditions. 

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Well with a 54mm diameter for R mount there is plenty of room. L mount is ~52mm.

So badically comes down to IBIS mechanism.

And also the lens lineup, best is to have IS+IBIS together, and electronic IS can be added on top of these.
I'm guessing even EF lenses will be fully supported, but RF will be more effective.

• 1 month later...