[Video] Lomo Square Front 35mm (OCT18) + the GH3

Stanley Hsu

Shot a short video with the Lomo Anamorphic 35mm Square Front on the GH3. It's true that the OCT18 version is difficult to work with, so I managed to make it work. The close-ups were shot with hand-held Hoya diopters. 

The simple rig that I used. (

)

b352293a4c7411e3b9670ed18cdf8007_8.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really nice Stanley! I love the colours. Looks pretty sharp, what f stop were you shooting at? Did the Hoya diopters sharpen things up a bit?

Thank you! I used f2.8 throughout the shoot. It wasn't as sharp as you see in the video when I first got the lens. At f2.8 it was a bit blurry, had to step down to f5.6 to have a sharper image. Then I tried to figure out how the Lomo system works and adjusted the glass alignment myself. I was surprised that it became so much sharper after that, even at f2.8. The sharpness from this Lomo is just stunning compared to my Sankor 16C and Sun Anamorphic.

I think my adjustment got the sharpness back, but somehow I feel it lacks the "vintage look" or lacks the optical aberration that I expected to have from an anamorphic lens. I need to do more tests on these characteristics with this lens.

As it's already sharp at f2.8, I didn't notice any obvious improvement from using the Hoya diopters. So it feels that the diopters just shortened the focal distance and DOF.

Well that lens looks quite good.

It does indeed.

Looks great. Makes me miss my Lomo. From the picture, yours looks pristine.

I watched your test videos before I got mine. 
The overall condition of this lens is quite good. Glass is clean with minor dust and micro scratches. The focus ring is a little stiff, but I decided to use it as is and not to send out for services for now. 

Very nice!  

How was this lit?

Thank you.
I used two of the cheap 3-light 5500K studio continuous lighting kit from the right and top. One Neewer CN-126 LED Video Light on a stand with a red gel from the left for her upper body and face. Color was graded in DaVinci Resolve and Premiere Pro.