Processor and Graphics Card Selection

EphraimP

4 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

@EphraimP Sounds like it'll be a great build, that's probably what I would go for if I had the budget (and projects to work on--my day job is keeping me too busy these days!) Make sure to get a quality power supply if you don't already have one. No point risking damage to high quality components by cheaping out on a power supply, which is relatively inexpensive for even high end models.

I'd love to hear what you settle on for MoBo and RAM. I'm still eyeing an upgrade to Ryzen 3600 and haven't settled on those yet myself. I'm not in a hurry, so I may wait a few months and see if the B550 rumors materialize.

I'm sure your tech will know this, but keeping your cables out of the way of airflow does magic for thermal performance.

Yeah, I'm definitely cognizant of the benefits of airflow. On the bonus side, the reviews indicate that the 3950X runs a lot cooler than expected.

For the MoBo, I'm most likely going to go for the X570 AORUS ULTRA. Puget used the board for their test build.  For ram, I'm looking for 3600 mhz with low latency because the chip specs support ram speed that high and sounds like it's pretty tune-able for those who want to mess with it.

• 11 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, EphraimP said:

Not sure if the Nvidia program is more marketing than actual functionality-oriented building, but it does make sense to buy something that has been purpose built for graphics heavy work.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/#video-editing

Ultimate add-ons: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/01/12/geforce-rtx-30-series-studio-laptops/

On 2/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, EphraimP said:

After a lot of research, I think I've narrowed my choice down to a Ryzen 9 3950X and a RTX 2080 Super. Puget, Linus Tech and Gamer's Nexus all rate the 3950X highly and it seems like a real value to performance sweet spot. I've got a local freelance tech who I've worked with a my day jobs for the last 5 years who will build my system for under $200 while I watch and learn. I should be able to put together a machine that will handle 6K footage (come on X-T4 or R6!) for less than 3K. 

I think the biggest things left are to narrow down the motherboard and pick the right DDR4 sticks. Looking forward to this box.

I have a Core i9 14 core 7940X CPU, 64GB of memory, NVME project and OS drives, dedicated SSD cache drives and an RTX2080Ti video card; I can edit nearly anything in Resolve without proxies unless I speed up the footage past 200%; at that point its easier to create a proxy for smooth playback. I work mainly with H.265 and H.264 10 bit 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 LongGOP footage. I can add color grades, Fusion effects, layers, multicam, etc without proxies. I personally will never use Premier again but its sucks bad enough that I have no doubt it would still be unacceptably slow on my box.

To spec my current box I based my HW specs on Puget Systems recommendations at the time.  I skipped the MB/Memory/PS/Case research and got the HP Z4 the reasons and build process which I listed in this thread, long story short I decided years ago my time is worth more than the amount of time it would take to catch up on current HW standards or troubleshoot/avoid HW incompatibilities : 

You mentioned your budget is up to $3K......if so inclined you could also skip the custom build headache and get a pretty nicely outfitted Z4 for right at $3K......https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-workstation-z4-g4-tower-9vd55ut

3 hours ago, herein2020 said:

You mentioned your budget is up to $3K......if so inclined you could also skip the custom build headache and get a pretty nicely outfitted Z4 for right at $3K......https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-workstation-z4-g4-tower-9vd55ut

Thanks for the feedback, however it's just a bit late 😉

For some reason Emanuel kicked up an old thread from January of last year. I pulled the trigger on a custom machine in February. I'm typing on it right now. Ryzen 9 3950X on a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra with 64 gigs of ram and 3 NVMe ssds (500G C drive, 2TB media drive and 500G scratch drive). I'm pretty happy with it, though I'm sure I could do some tweaks to it to increase performance.

8 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Thanks for the feedback, however it's just a bit late 😉

For some reason Emanuel kicked up an old thread from January of last year. I pulled the trigger on a custom machine in February. I'm typing on it right now. Ryzen 9 3950X on a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra with 64 gigs of ram and 3 NVMe ssds (500G C drive, 2TB media drive and 500G scratch drive). I'm pretty happy with it, though I'm sure I could do some tweaks to it to increase performance.

Yeah, you had posted it, even though I've found this thread a must read for people embracing the same today. Funny, because the same concern stands no matter whether a year later (with updated tools such as 16GB VRAM gaming laptops) or not ;- )