Aliasing

ImageThat

Hi,

This is a 1:1 crop from a single video frame using 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern at 1080P 24fps.

Can anyone tell me if this level of aliasing on diagonal lines is normal?

I can dial down the sharpening to make it less pronounced, but is there anything else I can do? I never thought to try capturing the same scene with an MOV canon file so I can't say if this has anything to do with ML.

Thanks.

post-33936-0-34662800-1389567066_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To further what Julian said, the "debayering" method you use will give slightly different results.  Amaze instead of bicubic, say.  Also, bayer sensors have alternate rows of red,green, red, green... / green, blue, green, blue... so that's image, where red and blue colors are separated, will create rows of missing red or blue values.  They will be interpolated from neighboring values which will be wrong and will lead to the aliasing.  In short, I believe you're only looking at a rare occurrence of bad aliasing because of the colors, light strength, object, etc.

If you did shoot in MOV the aliasing would be less noticed, but the color a bit smeared.

Thank you for the replies.

I see this aliasing when I open the DNG file with Adobe Camera Raw, so there is no codec and no color subsampling at that point.

I am curious about the debayering: I was thinking that the data would already be debayered and binned in the camera by Magic Lantern to get down to 1920x1080 before writing the RAW file to the CF card. I imagined the RAW file contained 14bit RGB pixels. Is that not how it works?

Just to follow up, one of the posters helped me by converting one of my frames using Divinci Resolve (Thank you for the help!) and we saw less aliasing. It is still present though. I had one other thought, I have my camera set to IPB. Would All-I possibly make any difference?