Phil Blooms Digital Bolex review

markm

I can see I am talking to the converted who clearly think the Digital Bolex is the way to go

Assuming you know what kind of camera I want to use based on this conversation is amusing.  Maybe we just don't find PB's statements as much of a big deal as you do?  Try not to get worked up about it.  People don't agree with you.  It's not that important.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes I know he did. Thanks for taking it out of context when clearly It was meant for Dalhfors post and not PB

If others cant see the article favours the Digital Bolex over the Pocket and that it is a fair comparison and that is the forum concensus then fine. I can see I am talking to the converted who clearly think the Digital Bolex is the way to go and even if the pocket is a better camera in their opinion then PB is entitled to say what he likes and no questions asked.

No need to jump to conclusions. Just because people don't see any bias in the article it doesn't mean people are in love with Bolex... Personally I find it interesting to learn his impressions and comparisons of the cameras, but I wouldn't still know for sure which I like better until I'd use the cameras.

And yes, having Prores is for sure an advantage because people might not want to shoot raw for every project - just as PB listed in the article. Hence the reason I took it as an example of him not writing a biased article.

I've watched & read PB's reviews of the BM cameras and the Digital Bolex and I don't see much bias in any of those articles. 

The Pocket camera is a professional film production camera IE RAW and 220mb prores that can be used in hard to get to places Like for example flying the thing.
Assuming this professional status means it is intended to be of a theatrical release standard then why on earth are many even considering buying it then moaning about its lack of decent sound and batteries and not fitting in your top pocket.

Lets be honest there are very few of us who need the RAW workflow when it is only really for those wishing to release a feature.
Now on most professional shoots sound is recorded separately so why on earth would you care if it had XLR and great sound.

PB cites all its shortfalls for the WRONG reasons but then fails to apply those reasons with the same gusto to the Digital Bolex When really the bolex is just so wrong and fits a workflow that doesn't care if it has XLR sound or not.

The reviews are fatally flawed and do not address the reality of what the cameras were designed for.

I find it amusing but also a little sad that many are buying these cameras and wasting their money Often based on irresponsible reviews that should stick to the professional nature of these cameras and why they are of no benefit to 99% of people and specifically speak to those who want to make indie films.

Its just plain absurd to be planning a raw workflow to release on vimeo or you tube. Even for TV and most drama.

Its also absurd at the stupid comments regarding these cameras and the frills and spills often quoted as missing.

Many here need to get a grip and stop buying stuff based on reviews and buy stuff you can use and if you truly are going to use it to make films dont ask daft questions about sound battery life and all the rest of the stupid comments that come from ill informed ideas that I can only imagine come from skewed reviews.

Just well, try and use the old intellect a bit more and if you can't then fine be happy and take the meds as you read skewed reviews and maybe be the proud owner of a Digital Bolex that records RAW DNG's that you show on you tube after shooting your cats.

Im sure you wont get laughed at bandying about an old sixties style antique looking camera that spells "Look at me Im a moron" all over it. Because you can tell them hey Im making a movie Don't worry I dont need a sound recordist as I have XLR's I dont need a focus puller as I have 3 arms and two heads. Guess what? You probably do.

Assuming you know what kind of camera I want to use based on this conversation is amusing.  Maybe we just don't find PB's statements as much of a big deal as you do?  Try not to get worked up about it.  People don't agree with you.  It's not that important.

Where did I say I know what camera you want to use? I actually couldn't give a toss as for PB's reviews I dont find them a big deal But just thought they were skewed There NO big deal. People actually do agree with me Just not so far on this forum which means nothing. As far as being important I think it is and you dont care so why do care enough to answer my posts? The reality is you do care dont you and the reason for answering my posts are to put me down. I know you will follow that up with more But let me tell you I dont care You want to make a fool of yourself be my guest.

It isn't even a review, it's only his first thoughts. I don't understand what you are getting at though, if he likes the Bolex more that's showing bias? People aren't allowed to prefer one thing over another now?

Yeah, doesn't make much logical sense, but that's online forums in a nutshell for you. All around the internet.

Everyone is entitled to one's opinion, and that's fine. Let's agree to disagree or not to understand and move on, let's not feed yet another pointless perpetual motion machine.

I wont raise the issue here again.

Thank you. 

The Pocket camera is a professional film production camera IE RAW and 220mb prores that can be used in hard to get to places Like for example flying the thing.
Assuming this professional status means it is intended to be of a theatrical release standard then why on earth are many even considering buying it then moaning about its lack of decent sound and batteries and not fitting in your top pocket.

Lets be honest there are very few of us who need the RAW workflow when it is only really for those wishing to release a feature.
Now on most professional shoots sound is recorded separately so why on earth would you care if it had XLR and great sound.

PB cites all its shortfalls for the WRONG reasons but then fails to apply those reasons with the same gusto to the Digital Bolex When really the bolex is just so wrong and fits a workflow that doesn't care if it has XLR sound or not.

The reviews are fatally flawed and do not address the reality of what the cameras were designed for.

I find it amusing but also a little sad that many are buying these cameras and wasting their money Often based on irresponsible reviews that should stick to the professional nature of these cameras and why they are of no benefit to 99% of people and specifically speak to those who want to make indie films.

Its just plain absurd to be planning a raw workflow to release on vimeo or you tube. Even for TV and most drama.

Its also absurd at the stupid comments regarding these cameras and the frills and spills often quoted as missing.

Many here need to get a grip and stop buying stuff based on reviews and buy stuff you can use and if you truly are going to use it to make films dont ask daft questions about sound battery life and all the rest of the stupid comments that come from ill informed ideas that I can only imagine come from skewed reviews.

Just well, try and use the old intellect a bit more and if you can't then fine be happy and take the meds as you read skewed reviews and maybe be the proud owner of a Digital Bolex that records RAW DNG's that you show on you tube after shooting your cats.

Im sure you wont get laughed at bandying about an old sixties style antique looking camera that spells "Look at me Im a moron" all over it. Because you can tell them hey Im making a movie Don't worry I dont need a sound recordist as I have XLR's I dont need a focus puller as I have 3 arms and two heads. Guess what? You probably do.

Holy shit, dude. I mean wow.

Yes demeaning Putdowns and drivel all very funny to you aren't they.

Tee Hee.  C'mon, it's the internet.  Taking things personally here is a fool's game.  My response was just meant to illustrate how I think your earnestness is misplaced.    

Where did I say I know what camera you want to use?

"

I can see I am talking to the converted who clearly think the Digital Bolex is the way to go"    

Everyone is entitled to one's opinion, and that's fine. Let's agree to disagree or not to understand and move on, let's not feed yet another pointless perpetual motion machine.

Quirky

You don't have an opinion SO what are we agreeing or disagreeing too? If you want to discuss this then do so Otherwise bog off.

This thread is ridiculous. The guy isn't even making sense. I'd like to suggest just leaving it alone now.

So what is it you don't understand and why is the thread ridiculous? You would like to suggest leaving what alone? You don't have an opinion so whats your point?

Youre right this is ridiculous made that way by stupid posts like yours.

This thread is ridiculous. The guy isn't even making sense. I'd like to suggest just leaving it alone now.

After reading a few of your posts I've come to understand what this is about.

You have a Phd in fine art and struggle to use a cheap camera and unable to do simple tests with it. You comment on masters like Trumball with putdowns. No wonder you cant comment on this thread You simply don't have the tools. Easier to just piss on the poster eh? So much for a Phd

After reading a few of your posts I've come to understand what this is about.

You have a Phd in fine art and struggle to use a cheap camera and unable to do simple tests with it. You comment on masters like Trumball with putdowns. No wonder you cant comment on this thread You simply don't have the tools. Easier to just piss on the poster eh? So much for a Phd

Everything you say is correct. You have won. I am the lesser man. Please accept my humblest apologies. 

With that in mind could you give me some tips on getting good exposure, as you have here: 

http://www.imdb.com/video/withoutabox/vi2884999961?ref_=tt_pv_vi_1

Everything you say is correct. You have won. I am the lesser man. Please accept my humblest apologies. 

I love your work by the way:

Although your apology is insincere it is the best you can do I accept that.
Here is some more
http://www.imdb.com/video/withoutabox/vi2285635353
Perhaps you would like to share yours?

With that in mind could you give me some tips on getting good exposure, as you have here: 

Oh right so now you have changed the meaning from you like my work to how well I did at getting good exposure.

Yes very clever Your PHd is clearly coming in very useful

Still waiting for that link to your work?