Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

wolf33d

26 minutes ago, Jeterisk said:

Here’s guessing that the body will be the size of a 5D, because:

1. Those huge RF lenses could do with a beefy body for better balance

2. Those huge video specs probably need more room for heat dispersion

3. According to their financial report, they really need to hit the nail on the head for this lower volume higher margin cam, and correct me if i am wrong but the 5D series is their best selling in this category, so creating a workhorse around that format would be smart and maybe let the R and RP series fight it out with the “prosumer” FX competition.

After using the S1 for some time and getting reminded why the “big” SLR style reigned supreme for so long, i would hugely appreciate a “mirrorless 5D” to go with those incredibly innovative RF lenses.

What do you guys think?

I completely agree ! The size of the RF lenses is quite on the larger size, so a bigger body would be beneficial.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Jeterisk said:

Here’s guessing that the body will be the size of a 5D, because:

1. Those huge RF lenses could do with a beefy body for better balance

2. Those huge video specs probably need more room for heat dispersion

3. According to their financial report, they really need to hit the nail on the head for this lower volume higher margin cam, and correct me if i am wrong but the 5D series is their best selling in this category, so creating a workhorse around that format would be smart and maybe let the R and RP series fight it out with the “prosumer” FX competition.

After using the S1 for some time and getting reminded why the “big” SLR style reigned supreme for so long, i would hugely appreciate a “mirrorless 5D” to go with those incredibly innovative RF lenses.

What do you guys think?

For sure. I love the feeling of the S1. Great ergonomics, beautiful build, buttons where you want them, fantastic grip, etc. might be one of my favorite cameras ever made. 

I’m hoping the R5 is somewhere in between an EOS R and S1. Maybe 750-850 grams, so still smaller and lighter than 5D, but definitely more robust than the EOS R.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, wolf33d said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen are we in the most exciting year since a decade for video gear? If this is true then yes. Canon rumors is usually reliable unlike Sony Alpha Rumors that is pure BS. Especially when rated CR3. So here you have it.

Canon EOS R5 for photo + in february

45mpx / IBIS / 8k30p and 4k120p / canon DPAF. Comes with Canon colors and menus that we know.  My dream camera and then more... the one I have been wishing for since many years on EOSHD. The one that could take me back to Canon. 

Also if true, Sony is dead. Canon took a massive hit with Sony being far better than their products since the A7III. They saw a massive number of people like me jump boat, even if massively invested in their system. They released in rush and too late an absolutely shitty EOS R, with laughable video specs, mediocre stills performance (FPS, dynamic range...), no IBIS and early gen mistakes. They should be dying now or soon. Yet before dying it seems they are giving all they can now to make a turn. We can clearly see that with the 1DX3, and HOPEFULLY we will see that with that thing. 
Why R5? Is it to rule the Sony RIV? :).

Anyway Specs sound unreal... so brace yourself. But dreaming is free.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/

The camera in the photo looks more handsome than any prior Canon camera (although a tad on the big side). On par with Sony A7 -series and even Fuji X-t -series. I'm not a fan of EOS R's DSLR-esque rounded shape, although I do like its buttons, dials, switches and the top display. canon-eos-r-mockup.jpg

I don't agree with Tony Northrup on a lot of stuff, but I do believe his take on the EOS R5 is probably pretty close to reality. I'm having a hard time believing the rumors on the R5. The specs could be correct but with a lot of asterisks. In other words, 8k time lapse, short duration 4k at 120fps or severely cropped, etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczXVIWSJyo

8192x5462 yields 44, 744, 704 pixels, i.e. very close to the rumoured 45mp of the R5. If so, then that means a 2.13x crop for 4K DCI, pixel-to-pixel. If I have to guess, I'd go for it having a very short burst for 4K 120P, like 2 seconds.

I'm more interested to learn whether it does 2K 240P, even if it'd likely yield a crop up to 4.26x for it with a burst of 1 second. Chance to put S16 lenses to good use! 

On 1/31/2020 at 5:25 PM, abehalpert said:

I'm betting that 4k120p will be cropped to half the sensor width. (But of course we can speed-boost it.)

And 4k60p will be 3/4 sensor width and/or pixel binned full-frame.

I think the R6 may be more useful to me than the R5 if it pans out to be similar to a mirrorless 1DXmk3 and has better low-light and DR performance. But the 1Dxmk3 has relatively limited codec options, which make it less versatile than a real video camera.

That being said, 4k120p would be a great feature to offer in any package. Although I bet that general slow motion applications don't need more than 60p...

I don’t agree. I would like 240 or 580 4K. 
Of course due to technology my today’s expectation is 4K60. But I would love to see that 4K120 become true. 
It really allows for some creative stuff. 

1 hour ago, ajay said:

I don't agree with Tony Northrup on a lot of stuff, but I do believe his take on the EOS R5 is probably pretty close to reality. I'm having a hard time believing the rumors on the R5. The specs could be correct but with a lot of asterisks. In other words, 8k time lapse, short duration 4k at 120fps or severely cropped, etc....

Agreed! He seems to be the only guy in my YT timeline who doesn't go bananas over these rumors.

Its comes across like people in an abusive relationship telling themselves "no THIS time it'll be different".
(...and then the cripple hammer comes flying at you once again).

Could be different this time. But I'll believe it when these things are released proper.

47 minutes ago, Jerome Chiu said:

8192x5462 yields 44, 744, 704 pixels, i.e. very close to the rumoured 45mp of the R5. If so, then that means a 2.13x crop for 4K DCI, pixel-to-pixel. If I have to guess, I'd go for it having a very short burst for 4K 120P, like 2 seconds.

I'm more interested to learn whether it does 2K 240P, even if it'd likely yield a crop up to 4.26x for it with a burst of 1 second. Chance to put S16 lenses to good use! 

One second lol that’s hard to work with. 4 seconds would be nice. 2K240p for 4 seconds would be amazing. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Uebermensch said:

The camera in the photo looks more handsome than any prior Canon camera (although a tad on the big side). On par with Sony A7 -series and even Fuji X-t -series. I'm not a fan of EOS R's DSLR-esque rounded shape, although I do like its buttons, dials, switches and the top display. canon-eos-r-mockup.jpg

It's a photoshopped Sony A9 😂

Amazing how much better it looks with a Canon logo and EOS on the side isn't it

I do like Sony's basic shape viewed from the front.

It is the back where the controls and menus are where it all falls down! 😀

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Agreed! He seems to be the only guy in my YT timeline who doesn't go bananas over these rumors.

You have Tony Northrump on your Youtube timeline... My condolences. If it were Sony rumours he'd be going bananas believe me. Biggest hype monger on there.

8 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I don’t agree. I would like 240 or 580 4K. 
Of course due to technology my today’s expectation is 4K60. But I would love to see that 4K120 become true. 
It really allows for some creative stuff. 

4K120fps would be great. I just mean that for a lot of corporate/doc/eng stuff I shoot, 60fps is sufficient. You can don't need to slow down a handshake or someone walking that much. Would corporate people shoot 4k120 "just in case"? Maybe. But for most of my work, I need uncropped 60fps more than I need cropped 120fps.

But obviously for sports, fast-action, music videos, the sky's the limit in terms of frame rate...

One question remains unanswered - hype aside, would anyone here even use the 8K mode, if there were a downsampled 10bit 4K mode available in this or some other body with good AF and decent color? Think a7III sharpness, but with a decent 10bit codec and color you find pleasing (and also at least 60p, possibly faster).

4 hours ago, abehalpert said:

4K120fps would be great. I just mean that for a lot of corporate/doc/eng stuff I shoot, 60fps is sufficient. You can don't need to slow down a handshake or someone walking that much. Would corporate people shoot 4k120 "just in case"? Maybe. But for most of my work, I need uncropped 60fps more than I need cropped 120fps.

But obviously for sports, fast-action, music videos, the sky's the limit in terms of frame rate...

No they wouldn't. Display devices in general run at 60Hz, so that is what people would shoot at.

1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

One question remains unanswered - hype aside, would anyone here even use the 8K mode, if there were a downsampled 10bit 4K mode available in this or some other body with good AF and decent color? Think a7III sharpness, but with a decent 10bit codec and color you find pleasing (and also at least 60p, possibly faster).

Since there are 8K TVs out there, and likely increasingly so in a year or two, yes, people would shoot in 8K.

14 hours ago, ajay said:

Since the 1DX III has a burst of around 1000 frames, that establishes an upper limit to what the buffer size is, and assuming that the buffer is the same size in the R5, the 8k "video" would essentially be whatever fills the buffer and after that it would stop. The buffer is emptying to the card while being written to, meaning the buffer itself is smaller. So, an upper limit of ~30 seconds, but probably less than that.

My guess is that camera will have about 16GB of RAM in the buffer, which would be enough for about 7 seconds of 8K30p video (and before people say that no camera would have that, keep in mind that current cellpones, such as the S10, have up to 12GB of RAM, so it is not out of question)

56 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Since there are 8K TVs out there, and likely increasingly so in a year or two, yes, people would shoot in 8K.

There is actually a governing body that confirms whether or not a TV panel has the advertised 8K pixels, so many panels might not even resolve the advertised 8K. Also, you'd need to sit incredibly close to the panel to even see the difference:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/10/28/dont-be-fooled-8k-tvs-are-a-waste-of-money-for-most-viewers/#260a35f93036

So, are you going for a smooth 4K workflow with "reasonable" files sizes or are you going to go mad rendering all the pixels no one will ever see?

lol this reminds me the same types of arguments that went on in 2012 when Canon first introduced 4K to the hybrid world with the 1DC.

rare were those that though it was useful or manageable back then either, yet here we are today!

8k will allow further cropping for 4K/FHD timelines. oversampling for a sharper 4K. and actual resolution gain for those exporting in 8k.

i recently upgraded to an iMac Pro 5K so already 4K is showing it's "limits" on screen. I'd be fine with 5.5K/6K though.

but I don't get the complaining as nobody will be forcing you to shoot in 8K. having it on-board though is a nice future-proofing for the years ahead.

in the end it's kind of a chicken & the egg thing. you need 8k capable cameras, to create/push 8k content, 8k monitors/TVs etc.