Canon EOS R5 - 8K30p 4K120p

wolf33d

2 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

I really don't know about this. Cannon's massive, INTENSE and irresistible desire to cripple the HELL out of their cameras....is going to make them shoot themselves in the foot again. I just know it.

Cannon pays more attention to their feature limiting tricks than their focus on feature enabling work.

Cannon is just like what Yoda told Luke:

"Always with you, what CANNOT be done..."

Cannon cares more about what they cant or shouldnt do then what they can or should do.

Didn't you read the IR exclusive... Mizoguchi is on record saying Canon does not cripple their cameras, it's just limitations of their cameras. 😂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Last time I checked, my phone didn't have a fan and is extremely compact. Let me check again....Yup.

Yet, RED has a heatsink on their sensors....and feels it's important to give you temp readouts for their sensor. MY guess, is that the DSPs they are using are still stuck on old process nodes, even as old as 55nm. Compare that to the latest Apple and Samsung devices at 7nm. A lot less heat and voltage at 7nm.

Cell phones use variable frame rates, so when the processor gets too hot it throttles down by reducing the frame rate thus allowing the recording to continue uninterrupted. That is exactly why they use variable frame rates and not fixed frame rates. It is also why cell phones have "better specs" than regular video cameras that MUST maintain a consistent frame rate no matter what.

Sensors are more like memory. There will be an optimal operational temperature for the best IQ, the heatsinks on the sensors are there to ensure it doesn't fluctuate if IQ is mission critical (something that is important to a professional, but less so to a consumer). Keep in mind that the sensor is in constant operation when the camera is switched on, most of the heat generation is going to come from clearing the cells (basically a write operation, which is what generates heat) and that is happening whether you are recording or not. 

32 minutes ago, Michi said:

Dream on. With the rumored specs: $4000+

that‘s my bet. 

Yep. I'd even go as far as 4500+, because the S1H is 4000, so looking zt the specs, no way Canon would price it under 4000$! I'd love to but i don't think they'll do it. At least if it's way too expensive there is the rumored R6, wich is basically just what i was waiting for from Canon (4k60p, no crop, etc). 

8 hours ago, currensheldon said:

With the lenses Canon has been putting out, I really do think they are coming out swinging in 2020. Two monster full-frame RF cameras and I bet a C300III with the RF Mount at NAB 2020 that is the direct competitor to the FX9 but, unlike that camera,  will have internal 4k raw, 4k 120fps, and a full-frame sensor.

I hope you're right about the C300III. I've been pondering my upgrade path: FX9 vs C500mk2, with a DSLM for a B cam. Or could I even get away with 2 RED Komodos?

But for the doc/ENG/corporate stuff I want to capitalize on, I'm coming to the unfortunate conclusion that the FX9 would be the most marketable choice due to form factor and codec options: viewfinder, shoulder-friendly, many bitrates to choose from... I don't think those clients need RAW and if they did they would probably want an Epic.

That being said, I would love for the C300mk3 to be the solo operator doc dream camera I want and have better framerate options than the FX9 to boot! That plus a great R body for video would REALLY simplify my decision-making, especially since there isn't even a Sony 10-bit DSLM yet...

And for people still unconvinced this is actually happening, this is what CanonRumorsGuy posted on Twitter :

2020-01-31 10_02_10-(1) Canon Rumors sur Twitter _ _🤯_ _ Twitter – Brave.png

Wich raised a question from a user. Watch the answer :

2020-01-31 10_02_29-(1) Canon Rumors sur Twitter _ _🤯_ _ Twitter – Brave.png

I think it's safe bet to assume that CanonRumorsGuy had new information he will double check and share soon (according to the emoji).

Canon open up about R strategy in their latest financial report:

“Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market.”

..Stars are aligning!

15 minutes ago, Vrzalík said:

I would like to see in rumours such a thing like internal ND filter, ability to record internally into ProRes  RAW and BRAW, global shutter ( or minimal rolling shutter).

Ok here's what you want (don't know about the internal ND yet) 😉 

RED KOMODO known specs :

Sensor: S35, 6K Resolution, Made by RED
Sensor Read out (shutter): Global AND Rolling
Format Size = 27.03x14.25mm (30.56mm image circle)
Format Resolution = 6144x3240 (19.91 megapixels)
Format Aspect Ratio = 1.90:1
Max Frame Rate @ Full Res: 40fps @ 6K FF
Autofocus: Yes (Phase Detect)
Weight: ~2lbs
Size: 4” Cubed
Lens Mount: RF Mount (fixed)
Battery: Dual Canon BP-9
Media: CFast 2.0
DC Connector: Lemo
SDI: Yes 4K SDI OUT (x1)
HDMI: No
USB-C: No
Audio: Yes, 3.5mm audio in/out (maybe scratch mic as well?)
Built in Monitor: Yes (touchscreen ~3”x3”)
Additional connection: Yes, gold pins on top for cordless monitors/ cellphone cradle, + EXT Port
Screw Holes: Yes, at least (6?) 1/4"-20 UNC threads (standard) looks like additional m3 and m4 threads as well
Power on: hard stop switch
Additional buttons: Yes, Back, Lock, up, down, play
Wifi: Yes, Antenna on left side
Cellphone integration: Yes, IOS and Android
Additional accessories: Yes RED and GDU accessories coming on release, presumably every major accessory manufacturer will as well

Joke aside, I really think that the EF-RF variable ND adapter can be considered internal ND if you still use EF lenses for now (as i do). It's very convenient and high quality, and works really well.

2 hours ago, Django said:

Canon open up about R strategy in their latest financial report:

“Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market.”

..Stars are aligning!

Yelp, they are aligning for the end user to be butt r$$#@%ped.  Remember how expensive their original cinema dslr were?  I think it was like $10k or something.  I would assume the r5 is going to be pretty expensive if they specs are real.

Don’t be silly now. Those days are long over. The competition is fierce, the market has shrunk and Canon are acknowledging both in their financial report.

The specs aren’t that crazy either. We know nothing yet about crop factor, codec bit depth or if RAW is there.

My guess is it will have slightly inferior specs to 1DX3.

Id say expect S1H pricing on the R5 ($4000-4500) & S1 pricing on the R6 ($2500).

1 hour ago, Django said:

Don’t be silly now. Those days are long over. The competition is fierce, the market has shrunk and Canon are acknowledging both in their financial report.

The specs aren’t that crazy either. We know nothing yet about crop factor, codec bit depth or if RAW is there.

Id say expect S1H pricing on the R5 ($4000-4500) & S1 pricing on the R6 ($2500).

I agree, they seem very aware of the current market, and plan to act accordingly. Going too high on price would just shoot them in the foot just like a crazy crop factor would at this point, competition wise. 

I think 3599 to 3999 body only would be my guess. ( maybe a little more ) but they know these new bodies will drive the purchase of their new RF lenses further which is a win win for them.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Did canon also acknowledge that if they charged $4-5k for their R5; a person can also buy 2-3 blackmagic pocket cinema cameras?  Granted it's m43, and no autofocusing -- but than you have both an A, B and also C cameras with "cinema quality" images.

The R6 is more realistic, but the pocket 4k is cheaper and the pocket 6k has 6k.  I'm assuming R6 is only 4k but auto-focusing.  The competition is fierce but are they willing to REALLY change?  I doubt it.  They seem to be stuck in the past:  "oh well use to charge 10k for our cameras, now we are going to charge 4-5k; see we have changed"...