Camera owning plans 2020

thebrothersthre3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I decided I am going to make an adapter for the URSA mini seeing as there isn't one available for the Mini (non pro version). It honestly should be really simple. Just going to remove an EF mount off a cheap adapter and attach it to a piece of sheet metal cut to size. Than I'll just have to shim it until its the perfect distance from the sensor. 

9 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Well my willpower didn't last, purchased my own Sony F3 with active EF adapter, rig, SD to SxS adapter,  v-mount power adapter, and 3 full size NP batteries for $800. The batteries and EF adapter are worth that by themselves. 

I am a bit jealous. I wish I was able to pick that one up for $500 I talked about earlier. I might hold out and get a Z-cam S6 down the road. They have an Electronic Variable ND adapter for it and I've been really impressed with the IQ on those cameras. 

14 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Next BMD Pocket, FF or actual crop 6K, as well, X-T4 very likely, without mention Osmo Pocket next or actual generation not yet purchased, Mi 10 Pro... yes, a phone cam ; ) Here's mine : -)

I am jealous 🤣

17 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Well my willpower didn't last, purchased my own Sony F3 with active EF adapter, rig, SD to SxS adapter,  v-mount power adapter, and 3 full size NP batteries for $800. The batteries and EF adapter are worth that by themselves. 

Welcome to the club!!

Where did you source this deal from, eBay or elsewhere?

17 hours ago, heart0less said:

800$ ?!

That's a steal!

I've seen them go MUCH CHEAPER! (as in close to half that price, but not with all those accessories. Especially as an active EF mount is usually very very very pricey)

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Welcome to the club!!

Where did you source this deal from, eBay or elsewhere?

I've seen them go MUCH CHEAPER! (as in close to half that price, but not with all those accessories. Especially as an active EF mount is usually very very very pricey)

Yeah the active EF mount adapter really pushed me over the edge on it (it's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMBkUNoVMA), The Mark three version retails for $1700.  I'm tempted to sell it but probably will keep it in case I ever need to use Canon glass on it. 

Made an offer to a seller on ebay and he went for it. ROI on it should be well worth it. 

I'm in a holding pattern.

Went late model used after starting to vacate Sony-land by selling my a73/a7r3 and a few lenses. Just picked up a EOS-R to dip a toe in RF land before the R5 is fully revealed. Found a cracking deal on a XT3 + 16-55, so I splurged on that one too for 4k60p just because the XT4 AF improvements are coming and I can flip it in a few months and not lose anything. With my luck new shit gets revealed in the next few days while both are in transit. These and a 5dmk4 I use for work will hold me over until things shake down after Corona madness. Still have to unload the a6300 and a few Sony lenses to finish my Sony purge. I love the GM lenses, but everything else Sony has been completely underwhelming since the a7r2 - which is now 4.5 years old. I'm keeping my OG a7r for landscapes until a better $500 alternative becomes a reality. The 36mp sensor is better than the 42mp in the a7r2/3 IMO (no confetti noise!) and holds up well to the 47mp sensor in the d850/Z1/S1r since I can't get any of those for $500. Its a great landscape photo body, no video though - that AVCHD garbage, ugh.

If Nikon had more card options, shot 4k60p, and AF was better I'd seriously look at the Zed's as used prices for bodies and lenses are really good. My prediction is the gen 2 bodies are going to be awesome, but they're so damn slow with updates I'm guessing we don't see them till mid-2021. I'm intrigued by the L-mount just for the Sigma 2.8 zooms, but too many gotchas with all the camera - Panasonic and its anemic AF, Sigma with the e-shutter only (I need cameras that can cover events as well) and Leica with the eye watering prices. No, no and a big no.

If the R5 isn't a complete turd, I'll be going all in on RF lenses and a couple R5 bodies whenever Corona runs its course and they're a reality. If it shits the bed I'm open to options. I've toyed with getting a dedicated cinema camera, but me being farsighted makes MF a challenge in the bright sun conditions I shoot in on a daily basis. Canon footage is so easy to grade too, I have to say despite its shortcomings, the 5d4 has been really easy to use for work despite the fact I hate the OVF and fixed LCD. I'm guessing the EOS-R will be even better.

Lots of other "that would be cool" options I've been toying with. I've tried to get a 5d3 on the cheap to tinker with Magic Lantern, but none of my lowball offers have been accepted ... yet. Had one at $500 last week with 180,000 clicks on the shutter and then the seller backed out for a $600 offer. The search continues...

Chris

On 3/6/2020 at 1:09 AM, Geoff CB said:

I'm tempted to sell it but probably will keep it in case I ever need to use Canon glass on it. 

If you think you're going to probably sell it in the future and you're unlikely to need it yourself, then I'd sell it sooner rather than later. 

As very very clearly Sony is ditching the FZ mount for E Mount instead, even on their highest end cameras! (VENICE)

Thus at the moment only F5/F55 owners will pay a high price for an EF - FZ active adapter, and those users will be disappearing over time. 

Like some others I'm looking into a second hand Ursa Mini 4k now that the price has come down. I'm not sure of the EF vs PL mount. The EF is more practical, but the PL feels more legit and one of the Chinese Cinematics rehoused Sigma 18-35 zooms could be the go. However that also comes in EF which is a few hundred cheaper. The decision would rest on whether I'm likely to want to rent a Cooke lens or something. I also like the idea of a 7artisans 35mm lens on the EF mount - shout out to "Call Me By Your Name"!

My main concern is DR, however I noticed how much better the raw footage is in the BMPC4K (earlier gen sensor) than the ProRes, so I plan to shoot raw. I've been searching online for some sample DNGs from this sensor (preferably the Ursa Mini 4K) but so far I haven't found much since a lot of the stuff posted a few years ago has expired Dropbox links.

If anyone has any raw footage from this camera I'd love to download a few DNG frames! Hit me up! The alternative is to rent one for a day.

9 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

Like some others I'm looking into a second hand Ursa Mini 4k now that the price has come down. I'm not sure of the EF vs PL mount. The EF is more practical, but the PL feels more legit

The DR range of the 4K sensor is much less than the 4.6K sensor, also is worse in low light. 

I'd 110% go for the 4.6K version instead. 

Also if you go for the Pro version, you'll be able to swap the mount between the EF and PL version. 

But I'd say if you're looking at the cheap price of a URSA Mini 4K then definitely EF is the way to go for you, otherwise you'd be spending much much more on the lenses than you've got the budget for. 

and one of the Chinese Cinematics rehoused Sigma 18-35 zooms could be the go. However that also comes in EF which is a few hundred cheaper.

The Nikon / Canon mount isn't merely "a few hundred cheaper" (which is technically true?), but is HALF THE PRICE

And you can't shoot with just that lens, got to get the Sigma 50-100 as well. Then goes another couple of grand. 

And what if you want something longer / wider such as 135mm / 200mm / 14mm / 10mm?? Well there goes thousands of dollars more to get them in a PL mount!

The decision would rest on whether I'm likely to want to rent a Cooke lens or something.

You don't really rent single lenses, you rent entire sets, which can get pricey.

13 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

Like some others I'm looking into a second hand Ursa Mini 4k now that the price has come down. I'm not sure of the EF vs PL mount. The EF is more practical, but the PL feels more legit and one of the Chinese Cinematics rehoused Sigma 18-35 zooms could be the go. However that also comes in EF which is a few hundred cheaper. The decision would rest on whether I'm likely to want to rent a Cooke lens or something. I also like the idea of a 7artisans 35mm lens on the EF mount - shout out to "Call Me By Your Name"!

My main concern is DR, however I noticed how much better the raw footage is in the BMPC4K (earlier gen sensor) than the ProRes, so I plan to shoot raw. I've been searching online for some sample DNGs from this sensor (preferably the Ursa Mini 4K) but so far I haven't found much since a lot of the stuff posted a few years ago has expired Dropbox links.

If anyone has any raw footage from this camera I'd love to download a few DNG frames! Hit me up! The alternative is to rent one for a day.

I have a look if I can find some dngs as i mostly shot prores. I am rocking the mini 4K since 3 years now, also got it because the 4.6 was way out of my reach. I was skeptical at first as well mainly about DR and the never ending rumors about the necessity to rig it up.Well, slap a small v-mount battery on it put in a cfast card and you are good to go; no cables no flimsy stuff. About DR, yes...there isn't much headroom in the highlights in prores (even in 444). You just wont be able to hold the sun if it's in your background and you try to expose for the skin even a little bit; small sony or canon apsc cameras do have more highlight retention and more DR on first sight for sure. What i fell in love with is the color information in the given DR. There is just so much more color information and fine gradation in the mids and shadows. Also the global shutter is just magic for everything that moves...no matter if the subject moves or the camera. If you shoot fashion shows with lots of flash light..you just cant beat the look of global shutter here. It's bad in lowlight, as are my eyes. So i never cared about it.

thats my very first test shot with the ursa, shot in prores 422 hq in hd only, its a noobish clip for sure but I got quite a bit better with handling that camera since then. As you can see if you are not careful the highlights clip away easily in a sunny day. 

5 hours ago, Celli said:

I have a look if I can find some dngs as i mostly shot prores. I am rocking the mini 4K since 3 years now, also got it because the 4.6 was way out of my reach. I was skeptical at first as well mainly about DR and the never ending rumors about the necessity to rig it up.Well, slap a small v-mount battery on it put in a cfast card and you are good to go; no cables no flimsy stuff. About DR, yes...there isn't much headroom in the highlights in prores (even in 444). You just wont be able to hold the sun if it's in your background and you try to expose for the skin even a little bit; small sony or canon apsc cameras do have more highlight retention and more DR on first sight for sure. What i fell in love with is the color information in the given DR. There is just so much more color information and fine gradation in the mids and shadows. Also the global shutter is just magic for everything that moves...no matter if the subject moves or the camera. If you shoot fashion shows with lots of flash light..you just cant beat the look of global shutter here. It's bad in lowlight, as are my eyes. So i never cared about it.

Thanks for your feedback on this camera and yes if you have any sample DNG frames that would be great!

For sure, the constrained DR is an issue. It may be a dealbreaker but I want to do more research. I have a feeling that the extra DR in raw may only be because of highlight reconstruction, but it's still useful. The trick is in how I choose to create the highlight rolloff with the sensor's captured linear data. Even with one less stop, a graceful rolloff created in post goes a long way.

I'm concerned about FPN but it seems if handled correctly with fill and maybe some Neat Video that it's manageable. What I'm not clear on is if any firmware tweaks and V2 sensor have improved this since the BMPC4K. But it seems just shoot ISO 400 in most situations.

Agreed, global shutter is HUGE for me. I own a Digital Bolex. And CFast cards being much cheaper too. I just want this as an experimental camera right now. No one wants this camera and it's going to keep getting cheaper. And what you're saying about just adding a V-mount - exactly. I'm looking at getting a FXLion Nano that I can use on both my Digital Bolex and this.

Yes this would be great for shooting fashion esp. if adding the RawLite OLPF. And dealing with flashes/strobes, which even an Alexa handles badly.

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The DR range of the 4K sensor is much less than the 4.6K sensor, also is worse in low light. 

I'd 110% go for the 4.6K version instead. 

Also if you go for the Pro version, you'll be able to swap the mount between the EF and PL version. 

But I'd say if you're looking at the cheap price of a URSA Mini 4K then definitely EF is the way to go for you, otherwise you'd be spending much much more on the lenses than you've got the budget for. 

The Nikon / Canon mount isn't merely "a few hundred cheaper" (which is technically true?), but is HALF THE PRICE

Don't assume I have no knowledge of the pros and cons of camera sensor DR. I realise it's lower DR than the 4.6k but I'm a big fan of global shutter among other things. As a personal challenge I'm interested to see what I can eke out of this largely ignored camera that continues to get cheaper. 

I'm not going for the Pro version, if that was my budget I would get an Alexa Classic. Tbh I'm not a fan of Blackmagic cameras but this old Ursa 4K intrigues me.

The Cinematic rehoused Sigma lens I mentioned in EF mount is "a few hundred cheaper" than the PL version. You can check the pricing:

http://www.pchood.com/index.php?route=common/home

I think you're referring to the original Sigma photo lens but I want something parfocal.

And you can't shoot with just that lens, got to get the Sigma 50-100 as well. Then goes another couple of grand. 

And what if you want something longer / wider such as 135mm / 200mm / 14mm / 10mm?? Well there goes thousands of dollars more to get them in a PL mount!

There are no rules beyond my individual film making needs. I'm not a gigging camera person that needs a stack of equipment to meet a client's whims. I work in the film industry as a vfx supervisor, but this is for my own no-budget creative projects where I determine the aesthetic including the lens lengths. And also maybe for shooting the odd vfx element where global shutter is very useful.

You don't really rent single lenses, you rent entire sets, which can get pricey.

I never said I wouldn't rent an entire set. I said I was interested in maybe getting a cheap great looking Chinese 35 like the 7Artisans Leica copy, and I name checked a movie that shot on a single 35 that I loved the look of. I would say for the majority of what I would do the 18-35 is great as a "variable prime" and if I needed more then I would buy the 50-100 later. On a 35mm film back like the Ursa 4K, going longer than 35 focal length has not been a need of mine so far.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

The Cinematic rehoused Sigma lens I mentioned in EF mount is "a few hundred cheaper" than the PL version. You can check the pricing:

Ah I see what you mean now. 

Didn't think you'd be buying the Cinematic modded lenses if you're getting it in the EF version. As usually people are buying them so they can get the PL mount to use on PL cameras.

19 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

I think you're referring to the original Sigma photo lens but I want something parfocal.

Not a good reason to get them in EF mount in my opinion, they're still optically the same lenses!

As Cinematics isn't changing the optical design, they're just redressing the externals of the lens. 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not a good reason to get them in EF mount in my opinion, they're still optically the same lenses!

As Cinematics isn't changing the optical design, they're just redressing the externals of the lens. 

The original isn't parfocal. I have a Cooke S16 zoom for my Digital Bolex and am kind of spoilt by that.

A lot of cine lenses are rehoused photo lenses - Duclos, etc for vintage photo lenses, but also things like Arri's original 65mm lenses were rehoused Hasselblad V lens elements.

On 3/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, Llaasseerr said:

Do that now for the original Sigma lens as well for comparison. 

Googling to check, it seems it is "near parfocal":
https://www.newsshooter.com/2016/12/04/does-the-sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-hold-focus-when-zoomed-and-could-your-lens-adapter-be-part-of-the-problem-or-solution/

Like I've been saying from the start, the chinese modding company isn't changing the optical design of the lens. 

Just doing window dressing of how the external body of it looks. (swapping the mount for PL, making it beefier, adding focus gears, etc)

Do that now for the original Sigma lens as well for comparison. 

Googling to check, it seems it is "near parfocal":

Like I've been saying from the start, the chinese modding company isn't changing the optical design of the lens. 

Well that's great to know.  Choice is good.

Before, you said that neither of them were parfocal and now you're saying they are both "near parfocal". Which is it?

My information was based on Sigma's own specs, also Cinematics saying "The lens has been changed into parfocal after modification" (quoted from their website).

I don't really care either, I was just throwing out some talking points in connection with maybe buying the Ursa Mini 4K and also seeing if anyone had any DNG frames to share 👍

Instead you've gone out of your way to tell me my choices of sensor, lens mount, lens length, lens type and lens features are wrong or misinformed. Okay thanks. 

I've seen some testing done on the 18-35 and the conclusion was mounting it on the A73 it depended on the adapter used. Some adapters it was parfocal others it was slightly off. With a speedbooster you are able to adjust the glass to get it perfect, but thats not possible with most adapters.

Now if you have an URSA you can shim the mount to adjust it so its not a worry. Thats not an option on every camera.