Upgrade path from entry-level DSLRs...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Sorry if this is reposted, please direct me to that topic if available as I can't find my answer. 

My little cousin came out to me for advice on what camera to get after his Canon Rebel. I've always been able to answer these easily but this time it seemed truly hard for me to give him proper advice, so I just said come back to me after a while. 

He's a kid really, 17-18, not working or even intending to work in videography at all, just a hobby.

When I looked up the current market I found that an old Canon Rebel is actually still very comparable to anything in that price-range right now...

and that there hasn't been any real improvement to make a Rebel/nikon entry-level seem old or outdated... even the newer versions (from the same company) of these DSLRs are not worth upgrading to! 

I am leaning on just saying stick with the Rebel if it's enough, and upgrade when you can afford full-frame (5d) or a real camcorder (fs100/c100 etc), and use the money for lenses.
Is there anything I am missing here? (cameras from other companies that are targeted at the same kind of consumer for example)?   

What is the upgrade path from entry-level DSLRs? What is the upgrade path for DSLRs at all? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

One more vote for the G6. The focus peaking and EVF make it much easier to shoot video with than a DSLR. It's small, and AF is OK when using MFT glass if he'd benefit from that. The image is superb. In fact, get one yourself too!

I went from a T3i to a G6, and couldn't believe the jump in image quality. Panny's do take a bit of getting used to after shooting with a DSLR, but are easier to use in the long run.

You asked for a rather general upgrade path. As I see it, there still is a certain aesthetic difference between MFT and full frame, but without any doubt, G6 footage can be cut with 5DMiii (as long as we are not discussing raw, and even then G6 will win if the grading wasn't done by an expert). From a distance, the other competitors become just invisible.

BTW Ebrahim, regarding your original post, everything you say about Canon is true (unless you want AF - then the 70D offers something new but has similar image issues to the T2i).

However, for Nikon it is not true. The D5300 is a significant improvement on the D5200 (which itself was great and came out only last year), and the brand new D3300 has the same sensor and processor as the D5300, so should be a HUGE improvement on their entry-level line. If I wanted the cheapest camera for ILC video, I would consider either the G6 or the D3300 (though perhaps wait for a few video tests of the D3300 to appear online to confirm it is comparable to the D5300).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thank you very much for all your inputs, they've opened my eyes to a whole new market existing that I didn't know of!

@Matt about your advice of getting one myself, well, that's what I decided after watching the test footage done by this little thing. It truly is impressive, even for someone mainly working with Canon c300s, RED scarlets and epics!