Which 25mm lens should I get?

acuriousman

I want an amazing M 4/3rds lens for shooting video and ONLY video. Preferably, as beautiful as possible and with great colors.

Right now, I'm torn between the Leica 25mm F1.4 and the Voigtlander F0.95. Does anybody here have experience with eitheir or both of these?

Also, will the GH2/GH3's focus assist (Hitting the touchscreen and having it zoom in for focusing) work the Voigtlander since it's manual?

Thank you for reading.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

YASHICA 24MM F2.8 is an amazing lens - Carl Zeiss Distagon equivilant , my go to standard lens on micro 4/3

amazing contrat and colors at a fraction of the price of a zeiss distagon

Fujinion C mount 25mm f1.4 is a very fast stunning lens very very sharp even wide open and great contrast and color

this is now my favourite 25mm for micro 4/3 - its very very sharp and fast

pentax 25mm f1.4 c mount superb rich warm colors and great zeiss like contrast

sigma fd 24mm 2.8 great sharp lens and cheap

also the Canon fd mount 24-35mm L series lens is an amazing lens for shooting video , it has aspheric elements and a cinematic look like no other lens I have

it is PL mount cinema lens quality the images it produces for video. insanely sharp with great colors.

f.095 on a micro 4/3 camera is a depth of field of less the 1cm ....about 5mm !! 

I find it unusable for shooting video

peoples noses are infocus and eyes are out of focus and f0.95 is usually very soft fully open

so before you spend a fortune think how often will you use it at f0.95 ......if you shoot arty stuff its fine

if you shoot people........5mm is too arty for me

I sold mine as I never found it usable

I just picked up the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 and got to play around with it for a little while yesterday. The build quality is alright considering that it's a lightweight and, compared to full frame or cine lenses, very small. The focus ring feels smooth and has a very long focus throw, plus the digital zoom when manually focussing can be quite useful. 

I mainly bought this lens to test the stills quality of the GH3, so I wanted to have a lens that features AF (and it's extremely quick!). If it's for video only, I guess I'd get something different with a bit more weight and grip to it. 

Also, will the GH2/GH3's focus assist (Hitting the touchscreen and having it zoom in for focusing) work the Voigtlander since it's manual?

Andy, I think he was referring to the focus assist instead of proper AF / AF tracking. I'm interested in this, too: Does the 3x magnification work with fully manual lenses as well? I think it should but can't test it myself, so it'd be great if you could let us know. Thanks!

YES IT DOES

the focus assist works on all manual lenses

just make sure you switch the camera menu to - shoot without lens

this stops it looking for a panasonic auto type lens

I use this focus assist all the time on my G6 and GH2 to line up every shot in focus

G6 is easier ait it does have peaking to which I now leave on all the time - its handy to have

I have this version ,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191029221945

and its very very sharp wide open on my G6 , superb outside at night for shooting in City centres with lots of lights Neon etc

you do have to remove the rear collar as it wont fit a c mount adaptor and replace the collar with a piece of cut off a plastic  35mm film container to replace it , then it fits a c mount adapter all ok.

Ive modded 2 of these lenses last week its easy to do.

also great for portraits , renders faces very nicely ,

great bokeh too you dont get they wierd awful swirly bokeh you get off the cheap chinese 25mm f1/4 thats common on ebay now

f.095 on a micro 4/3 camera is a depth of field of less the 1cm ....about 5mm !! 

I find it unusable for shooting video

peoples noses are infocus and eyes are out of focus and f0.95 is usually very soft fully open

To be fair, if your subjects are not near the lens, shallow depth of field isn't too hard to handle.  Wide shots at night wouldn't be an issue at all.  Medium shots with disciplined blocking is viable.  If you want closeups then yeah, you'd have to be strategic with what you're doing with your actors or subjects.  Also, softness that's quite noticeable in hires photographs, isn't that bad, imho, @1080.  One has to decide if the DOF is worth the edge softness, I guess.

Still, you can always just shoot an f4 and save the wide open apertures for times when the light is low and can't be controlled.  For instance, I know that I found myself shooting pretty wide-open on a documentary where I was inside night clubs and in dark backstage areas.  In that case, every little bit helps.  In those situations, I wouldn't mind having a .95.  Not willing to pay 1K for just that 1 extra stop though.  Yet.  

I got a doc shoot coming up this spring... Might have to rent the .95 and see what I see before then.