Pictures of the new GH 4K

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yea I read more about it and got it now.

Strange. I'm surprised :)

I would have expected a different form factor, let alone using the exact same GH3 body with some different sensor / processor in it and bumping up the price a lot.

Engadget published some specs.

1. It comes out February with a price tag of 2000$ or less. Wow this is definitely a surprise for me.

2. UHD content can be recorded at 200 Mbps, and output in a full live feed via a mini-HDMI port (thanks to ALL-I Intra mode) to display on a computer or record to a hard drive. Or footage can be recorded straight to an SDXC card -- a UHS Class 3 prototype variant tuned for such a task was on display

3. It can take pictures while recording video.

The most interesting part however is missing. Will it be able to record 10bit 4:2:2 ?

At least 20 new 4K cameras will hit the market between now and NAB 2014, according toJeromy Young, CEO and founder of production technology developer Atomos. Some can be expected to be announced at IBC next month in Amsterdam.The Australian vendor, maker of HD-SDI hard disk recorders like Samurai, has advance warning of release dates for the cameras in order to develop products that link with them. He did not reveal further details of plans, which are under NDA.(extract from The Hollywood reporter)

4K sticker on a GH3. Very weak way for Panasonic to make it 'official'. Could they not have made a bigger and more imaginative splash than this?

On the other hand, it's good to know what we can expect. It is definately a hybrid camera, not some kind of AG-AF101 successor.

GH4 was suppose to be modular design according to the rumors. And the camera on the photo looks like GH3 with some tweaks. It looks Panasonic was under pressure to produce something 4K rather sooner than later and also at lower price point. Initial price according to the rumors was around 3500-4000$.

This is exciting news. It means most likely GH4 competition also comes in the first quater of the year, at worst first half of the year and would also be in this price range.

Today Nikon will have presentation at CES about D4s HD-SLR. It would be interesting.

I really hope RAW video comes together with 4K. Obviously the push will be on 4K but for me RAW video implemented as standard feature in 2000-3000$ range consumer cameras is much more intresring.

Engadget are now saying it's not a mock up but the real thing and will be available in February for under $2K.

That sounds great, but it also sounds more like a GH5, the successor for the consumer/prosumer DSLM model GH3, rather than the AG-GH4(K) (for $3k) pro video camera that was rumoured here (too) earlier.

Well, whatever the case, and whatever it will be called, that sounds logical, too, because like Sony, Panasonic have 4K TV sets and other consumer goodies to sell, so pushing a 4K-capable camera to the consumer market asap makes sense. It's good to see affordable 4K cameras hitting the market this year.

My guess is that Panny didn't want to wait until September to unveil a GH5 with 4K and be last to the party with all these other 4K models coming out.  So they put out a 4K version of the GH3 with solid codec and a price tag that's half that (maybe even less... $1499?) of the BMPC 4K and 1/7 the price of Canon's 1DC.  I think it's positive that Panasonic is trying to usurp any perception that they're not going to remain competitive in the hybrid video value-performance area.  The GH5 will probably adopt most of the base spec of the GH4K when it is announced in Sept., plus other features like IBIS, overcranking and more refinement in still imaging performance... making the GH4K nothing more than a stop-gap system for this part of the product cycle.

Just because it's on the Panasonic stand doesn't mean it's not a fake just that in this instance it's a proper Panasonic fake.

Yup, sort of. Based on the photos and the way it's being displayed it appears to be what it looks like, a GH3 with a 4K badge pasted on it.

It's a common thing in CES, companies are presenting official fakes, aka prototypes and mockups rather than the real thing. As long as they don't have the actual end product, they're doing image marketing and attention fishing with the mockups.

The "silly season" will be long and apparently pretty lively this year. First CES, then the Japanese show a month or so later, and then there's even Fotokina in September. Plenty of time for rumours, releases, and bloody squabbles about mockups, rumoured specs and demo clips streaming online.  :P