The GH5 isn’t a Cinema Camera

Alt Shoo

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The film was self financed, so yup, a very low budget. 

And it seemed the fast shutter benefited them, because of the high paced fast action / slow motion. 

Or they leave it just for shooting with in the studio, such as Marques Brownlee

Or they have a small crew to shoot with it alongside them, such as Linus Tech Tips or Devin Graham

In one of the Linus videos, his video guy says that their RED transition was motivated by their need of a very fast workflow: almost daily episodes, a lot of episodes being shotted simultaneously - more leeway to make fast exposure adjustments on post, more cropping options to punch-in in post instead of running multiple cameras.

I think that having the best tech, in a tech channel (it applies to Brownlee too) gives than a good comparison point to cheaper tech, and gives a useful perspective of cost/benefit for value comparisons. And, of course, fulfilling gear lust. :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kye said:

Yeah, that can happen.  I think these instances were much more informed purchases and they knew what they were getting into.

From their videos on this topic, I think not even Linus truly knew what they were getting themselves into!

55 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I think that having the best tech, in a tech channel (it applies to Brownlee too) gives than a good comparison point to cheaper tech, and gives a useful perspective of cost/benefit for value comparisons. And, of course, fulfilling gear lust. :)

Definitely, shooting on "THE BEST" is part of their marketing strategy. Gets them more views, gives them more topics to make videos on, and so forth. 

Makes more sense for them to do it than say a Make Up YT Channel buying an 8K RED

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

From their videos on this topic, I think not even Linus truly knew what they were getting themselves into!

Perhaps.  Of course, drama and tech aren't exclusive, and drama drives views!

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Makes more sense for them to do it than say a Make Up YT Channel buying an 8K RED

Totally.  If you are doing a makeup channel then you need good skin tones, so it has to be ARRI.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, kye said:

Perhaps.  Of course, drama and tech aren't exclusive, and drama drives views!

Linus has seemed genuinely frustrated about RED at times. 

On 1/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, kye said:

Totally.  If you are doing a makeup channel then you need good skin tones, so it has to be ARRI.

Excellent point! Why are they not doing this? Maybe the big makeup channels are secretly doing this.