The GH5 isn’t a Cinema Camera

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The film, now airing on the History Channel, has an impressive big budget look, but was shot for just $120,000.

Wow, wow, that's dirt cheap! 

(very curious about what the budget break down was! In Episode 3 they mentioned lighting got a heavy emphasis, with a lot of the money going into that)

Interesting how they talked about in Episode 2 that they didn't use any ND filters, because it broke right at the start, so instead controlled the exposure via shutter speed which they reckon helped with the final outcome due to all the action scenes they did. 

In Episode 3 they mentioned that their next camera with the Panasonic S1H. 

Gotta be controversial here and say some of the scenes don't blend very well. One looks like a million bucks big screen type of stuff, the other more of a small YouTube webseries video vibe. Though more than anything, I think post-production has made it stand out and make it still stick together. Fine grading. Let's not forget about sound design, that was bloody brilliant. Everyone can go out and get a GH5. It's those who master the things beyond the camera where the difference is really being made and where there's so much potential to still grow for me personally.

Oddly enough camera matters less on big sets and more on small sets image wise. 

Big productions prefer "cinema cameras" for the workflow though, probably more than the image. If an XT3 was housed in an Alexa type body it would be great for big productions. 

Something like the Alexa really shines on a film like the Revenant where they used all natural lighting.

7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

One looks like a million bucks big screen type of stuff, the other more of a small YouTube webseries video vibe.

To be fair, many YouTube web series get made with a bigger budget than that. The last web series I worked on had nearly double the budget of this film. And this film is a period piece!!!! That adds so much more to the cost / complexity.  

75% lightning and composition, 20% lens, 5% camera with any camera made after 2016.

I mean with the new way of filming...

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-stagecraft-photos/

They probably could have filmed the Mandolorian with a GH5 and nice cinema lenses, definitely an S1H. You don’t need Alexa levels of Dynamic range when the background is a digital HDR screen. 

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I've said it time and time again. Lens and lighting make shit look Hollywood, camera choice is basically just the film stock. 

Wrong!!! the camera is not basically just the film stock, it is the what many people use as an excuse to not create stuff.  ALso, it is the way camera manufacturers empty my (and many other people's) pockets.

The funny thing about "professional cameras" are that they are so flexible (grading, exposure, etc.) that if you mess up, it's easier to fix.  But those that need the fix-ability (beginning film makers) cannot afford it, and those that can afford it (professionals); doesn't need the fix-ability -- all the while manufacturers are smile while pushing the greatest and latest.

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

It's those who master the things beyond the camera where the difference is really being made and where there's so much potential to still grow for me personally.

Me too.

In fact, when I bought the GH5, one of the things that made me choose it was that it removed the equipment as being a potential limitation on what I am able to create.  Or, to put it another way, the GH5 is better than I am in every possible way, and I think may never put a limit on my ability to create.

Now, I may buy new cameras in the future, (in fact, I will have news very soon) but I will never be buying a new camera because the GH5 is a limitation on my work that I want to progress beyond.

I won't speak for other people, and certainly in Hollywood and the upper echelons of talent, the GH5 might be quite limiting to the artistic vision that others have.  But for me, it's like buying a Porsche 4WD and only driving it up the street to the shops to buy milk.

9 hours ago, kye said:

Me too.

In fact, when I bought the GH5, one of the things that made me choose it was that it removed the equipment as being a potential limitation on what I am able to create.  Or, to put it another way, the GH5 is better than I am in every possible way, and I think may never put a limit on my ability to create.

Now, I may buy new cameras in the future, (in fact, I will have news very soon) but I will never be buying a new camera because the GH5 is a limitation on my work that I want to progress beyond.

I won't speak for other people, and certainly in Hollywood and the upper echelons of talent, the GH5 might be quite limiting to the artistic vision that others have.  But for me, it's like buying a Porsche 4WD and only driving it up the street to the shops to buy milk.

Some of the best times was milk runs in my Ferrari. It’s only down the street but it only takes 6 seconds to go from 0-60. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:48 PM, Mako Sports said:

I've said it time and time again. Lens and lighting make shit look Hollywood, camera choice is basically just the film stock. 

Well, don’t forget the locations, wardrobe, and cast. That trailer would look like a YouTube camera tests without those.

It looks really good but I am not shocked it was shot on a GH5, those cameras are clearly super capable. Interesting they went with a super fast shutter. Seems extremely budget to make that call based on a broken filter? 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, kye said:

it's like buying a Porsche 4WD and only driving it up the street to the shops to buy milk.

Isn't that what anyone who buys a Porsche 4WD gets it for? It's usually a status symbol for the golf club or school pick-up lane.

They sure as hell aren't buying it to tackle the Madigan Line.

1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

Isn't that what anyone who buys a Porsche 4WD gets it for? It's usually a status symbol for the golf club or school pick-up lane.

They sure as hell aren't buying it to tackle the Madigan Line.

Yep... although the parallels with people buying Alexas to shoot home videos aren't there, because Alexas are big, heavy, and complicated.

Cameras are a funny thing - I shoot family travel videos and the best camera for me to do that (even now) is the GH5...  regardless of price.  Ie, if I was infinitely rich then it is still the best camera I could buy.  Even the super rich YT people that you see buying RED 8K cameras typically run-n-gun them for a bit but end up back to the GH5 or A7iii and the cine camera was never heard from again.

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Interesting they went with a super fast shutter. Seems extremely budget to make that call based on a broken filter? 

The film was self financed, so yup, a very low budget. 

And it seemed the fast shutter benefited them, because of the high paced fast action / slow motion. 

39 minutes ago, kye said:

Cameras are a funny thing - I shoot family travel videos and the best camera for me to do that (even now) is the GH5...  regardless of price.  Ie, if I was infinitely rich then it is still the best camera I could buy.  Even the super rich YT people that you see buying RED 8K cameras typically run-n-gun them for a bit but end up back to the GH5 or A7iii and the cine camera was never heard from again.

Or they leave it just for shooting with in the studio, such as Marques Brownlee

Or they have a small crew to shoot with it alongside them, such as Linus Tech Tips or Devin Graham

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Or they leave it just for shooting with in the studio, such as Marques Brownlee
Or they have a small crew to shoot with it alongside them, such as Linus Tech Tips or Devin Graham

Yeah, that can happen.  I think these instances were much more informed purchases and they knew what they were getting into.

I was more thinking of the people that make the "I just spend $100k on a cinema camera!!" type posts.  The main example I can think of is Jon Olssen, but I've seen others around the place.  People that have heaps of money, ask themselves what the "best" or "most expensive" camera is and then they see the amazing specs and then want one, but find it's too heavy for the out-and-about content that typically they shoot themselves or only have a single person crew.