Camera prices

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have noticed a similar trend the last few years.

People have unsubstantial expectations on a lot of different products.

I was shopping for a car lately, most people were like "if it costs more than 20.000€ is an unfair price", finally all these last cars started from 20.000 and going way up.

People were expecting a "cheaper" car, but with the same quality as it is, the latest and better thermal engines, all the most modern safety feature (staying in lane, automatic brake, sign recognition, e.t.c) but with a price tag similar to the previous model.

Same with the video lenses here on another topic. Fast zoom, not too big, not too heavy, ultra cheap, e.t.c when that wasn't seemed feasible people started taking out features, "we do not need parfocalness, don't care about focus breathing, let's make it a 3f to make it smaller and cheaper" e.t.c

Certainly some things seem overpriced, but there must be a reason or more for that. We should be more pragmatic with our expectations and stop complaining all the time.

If something is more expensive than we can afford, we can go a tier down, or buy used.

Manufacturers set the prices.  Users decide if they want to buy.  Not enough buyers, camera makers lose money.  Even if manufactures created a "jesus" camera that did everything and wipe your butt; if it's so expensive and not enough people want to buy or afford to buy; the manufacturers will lose money.  If everyone thinks camera prices are overpriced, even if the prices "aren't", and people don't buy.  manufactures lose money so in fact, the cameras are in fact OVERPRICED.  That's how the market works.  A lot of times, value is based on perception.  Right now, the majority of people think smart phones provide a better value. $3-4k for a camera?  or just buy an iphone?  Most people just buy the iphone.  So yes, in that perspective, cameras are overpriced for the vast majority of people.

For the majority of people on this forum, according to Andrews latest "what are you shooting with poll", it seems like any camera over $3-4K is overpriced since most people use the pocket 4k camera which is $1.3k and has no real autofocusing.  I could be wrong.

I have always looked at it that there are some brands that if you want and can afford, price does not enter into it (EG Leica).     Other than that, you pay a premium for the latest spec but if you can live with the previous generation, you can save a bundle and if you go back another generation (or two in some cases) you can have still highly usable gear for a fraction of the price.

With video I guess there IS a point at which if you go too far back you get stuff that does not compete.

I can not afford anything new now but I mostly have the stuff i always wanted and will do me for a while.

I am having a lot of fun buying lots of little cameras (mostly point and shoot for less than the price of a coffee in many shops.    My latest is a little point and shoot Nikon that cost $4 (Australian).     Way to slow and only HD video but is ok for that and still better than the video from SD cameras that cost far more not too long ago.    Its still are actually quite ok (in good light and its slow sync flash is quite good (though not stabilized).

My latest A7s will do me with some half decent lenses.