Panasonic LA7200 - edge blurring

Matthew Marshall

Ive been experimenting for a while with the Panasonic LA7200. I just cant seem to cut down on the edge blurring with it.

I shot this with a Canon 5d Mark III with 85mm L1.2 and the edge blurring is still very evident. I had hoped the telephoto of the 85mm would help but it did not seem to.

http://adobe.ly/1fKUVlU

ISO320

85mm

F8

1/400 sec

However I've seen videos of people using the La7200 with Canon EOS 5d Mark II full frame with none of the edge blurring. Really been trying to figure this out, does anyone have any suggestions?

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Maybe its just not noticeable here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The folks shooting without soft edges are using diopters, like the rare Foton.  There's a fairly comprehensive list in this forum of various models available.  The large front element makes it harder and often more expensive to get good results.  Look here, go to youtube or google and you'll find various combinations of mods and diopters folks have used to get decent footage out of the la7200.

If you're shooting with a 5D, however, a better solution is to just shoot with an oval iris, a streak filter and post crop.  Less hassle and comparable results.  I'd only make this suggestion for the 1D/5D though.

I would take this advice, it's experience talking. I wouldn't spend my money on expensive diopters for this lens if I was you.

Well, I don't have actual experience with the LA7200 admittedly, but I've watched practically all of the "how-too" videos when I was evaluating lenses a couple years ago, deciding which I was going to buy.  It's not hard to see the writing on the wall though.  They're still commanding a good price on ebay (though who is to say whether what I see is actually selling or if it's loads of re-listings, I'm not tracking) but soon there won't be any reason at all to put yourself through the gymnastics this thing requires to get a decent image.  It or Century/Optex adapters.  

The new adapter offerings shouldn't really effect LOMO and Iscorama prices but they should make the DV era 16:9 adapters worth about $100, if that.

Yes. I don't think the LA7200 will be worth so much once the SLR Magic anamorphic is available. SLR Magic also has 1.3x squeeze, focus through and is much sharper at the edges.

Besides the edges, both the SLR Magic and Letus adapters also allow faster stops across a more broad range of focal lengths, before benefitting from diopters.  Unless you're shooting a wide, daylight vista, being stopped down more than f/4 begs the question "why shoot anamorphic?"

The new adapter offerings shouldn't really effect LOMO and Iscorama prices but they should make the DV era 16:9 adapters worth about $100, if that.

you really need to stay off that china heroin crack pipe 100 dollars or less for the panasonic do the math brains.

is the slr magic 500 dollars better than any of them that is the question.

the  16.9 things will drop below new slr magic lens price sure but a total collapse  : ) nahh

your friends gonna have to make  more interesting less bland optic matey : )

or at the very least your gonna have top film a decent test clip

gee the market up create a bit of excitement cos it flat at the moment.

can't wait to side-by-side them;

but no matter what, LA7200 is still cheaper than Letus or SLR magic adapters, so it won't affect it's price, not by large anyways;

Matthew,

you can't expect perfect results from the lens that was designed for the sensor 50x smaller than FF

so it won't affect it's price, not by large anyways;

roads says the panasonic highway is dead and is heading nowhere fast.

a tokyo ride toll cost charge of a 100 bucks at most or less.

clear china bent flare lane the only ugly but easy way now.

old japan just could not cut it.

panasonic anamorfick is paul walker in a burst of fast and furious pure blueflare flames.

ice cold bent flare trucking china glass.

it's 3 optics not 2  so they say donte you nose.

maybe talented seb can make it sing if not back to the drawing bored