Canon EOS 1DX MKIII or Fuji GFX 100

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What a choice, so jealous.

Since you are not going to use it for action much, that says the Fuji to me....the Canon for action or newspaper reporting.

Canon tilt shift lenses work great on it too I understand and the 17mm becomes a ultra wide (I would love to try mine on that camera though i would need a whole new computer to cope).

I really have to get my FD 85 1.2 fixed now (somehow), it has the dissolving bearings problem but is too nice a lens to trash or let go.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Probably the Fuji. The 1DX is just a little outdated at least body wise and the codec isn't good enough to justify it. Much cheaper lesnes though. 

Codec isn’t good enough?

5.5k RAW 

4k DCI 4:2:2 10bit log h265

4k DCI 4:2:0 8bit h264

4k UHD 4:2:2 10bit log h265

4k UHD 4::2:0 8bit h264

Seems to me that the codec choice is just great.

41 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Codec isn’t good enough?

5.5k RAW 

Id be honest @gt3rs h265 is the worst codec to work with 4k is nightmare choppy as fuck

Thats from mavic pro 2 anyways 

my pc spec

i7 8700k oc 5ghz

64gb ram

2tb ssd samsung evo

1080 ti 11gb and 

Windows 10pro

8 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

Id be honest @gt3rs h265 is the worst codec to work with 4k is nightmare choppy as fuck

Thats from mavic pro 2 anyways 

my pc spec

i7 8700k oc 5ghz

64gb ram

2tb ssd samsung evo

1080 ti 11gb and 

Windows 10pro

What program do you use for editing?

Kind of fun when the 1dx ii came out here everybody complaining about the old codec (although super fast for editing) now that they use the most modern one everybody complain that is bad because slow to edit.... 

53 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

What program do you use for editing?

Kind of fun when the 1dx ii came out here everybody complaining about the old codec (although super fast for editing) now that they use the most modern one everybody complain that is bad because slow to edit.... 

Sorry i forgot to mention i use Premiere pro 10% when need to deliver fast 

And when time is option i use Davinci (still learning)

As for h265 i transcode them to easier codec and work away 

Personally I would go for the Fuji without hesitating. But I am shooting a lot of stills and it is not some fast moving action, so image quality is the most important thing. And that part will probably put the GFX quite a bit infront of the Canon. 

If I were shooting sport events, I would take the Canon instantly

Neither, once I'm in this price range I'm buying a cinema camera, not compromising and getting a stills cam (albeit an excellent one). 

However if I had to choose I would probably go with the GFX for the better stills, and shooting my 35mm manual lenses in 1:1 format using the full width of my lenses. 

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Neither, once I'm in this price range I'm buying a cinema camera, not compromising and getting a stills cam (albeit an excellent one). 

However if I had to choose I would probably go with the GFX for the better stills, and shooting my 35mm manual lenses in 1:1 format using the full width of my lenses. 

I agree with the cinema camera option in this price range and I’m a little hesitant, but I am leaning towards purchasing the GFX 100. I can wait a bit longer with hopes Fuji would surprise the industry and release an extremely video centric version of this camera. But more than likely I will end up with this camera. 

I never been attracted to full frame because I feel you can mimic it with wider lenses for the relative shot, sorta, but this is actually the first time I’ve seen the difference between sensors and its size. 

4 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

I agree with the cinema camera option in this price range and I’m a little hesitant, but I am leaning towards purchasing the GFX 100. I can wait a bit longer with hopes Fuji would surprise the industry and release an extremely video centric version of this camera. But more than likely I will end up with this camera. 

I never been attracted to full frame because I feel you can mimic it with wider lenses for the relative shot, sorta, but this is actually the first time I’ve seen the difference between sensors and its size. 

Did you shoot in the past with an MF camera?

Not sure how fast is the GFX100 as I never used one but the few MF cameras that I tried they were just very slow in all like startup, time to review picture, zoom in, next picture etc. hopefully today they are much faster.

Are you shooting primarily video or photo?

For video the GFX 100 give you the MF size but the rest for the price IMO is pretty mehh, not usable AF in video, no 4:2:2, no 60p..... for similar price I would take the FX9 anytime or as a stretch a C500 II because with the saving in lenses you will have similar total budget. Depending on that choice add a Canon R or A7 III.

If mostly photo and you really want highres I would pick the A7 IV.

10 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Codec isn’t good enough?

5.5k RAW 

Oh wait I was thinking you were talking about the old 1DX 

yeah I'd probably go with the new Canon. I wish it had a better monitor but I'd just throw a small HD on it. 

6 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

Get a Sony FX9, it's "only" a thousand bucks more than a Fuji GFX100

So I’m really close to making my purchase. However I’m always the person that buys the product and then in the next month or so, a new or updated version is announced. That’s the only thing keeping me from hitting the buy now button. I think I’m going to hold off a bit longer just to make sure no surprises are going to occur.....don’t know how long though.  

8 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

So I’m really close to making my purchase. However I’m always the person that buys the product and then in the next month or so, a new or updated version is announced. That’s the only thing keeping me from hitting the buy now button. I think I’m going to hold off a bit longer just to make sure no surprises are going to occur.....don’t know how long though.  

Well, the 1DX Mark IV is a looooong way off, so you're safe there.

However, might be worth waiting for the RF model that has similar video specs. I'm hoping for around NAB 2020 after I announce the high-resolution model in February. 

2 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

@currensheldon after reviewing the Canon’s specs again, I won’t consider it. My thinking is that since I won’t be able to get an Alexa LF anytime soon, I will “hack” into that look by using the GFX 100 for its gorgeous large format look. 

oh dear

I really really do not think you should be splurging out $10K on a camera when you don't understand even basic specs such as sensor size!! (let alone what that really means to an image) Plus you already own great cameras, you don't need another. 

The ALEXA LF is *NOT* "large format" in the sense stills cameras are (such as the Fuji GFX 100).

If all you care about sensor size being same ish as an ALEXA LF (but at a much lower cost of course) then grab yourself a Panasonic S1H

I'd much rather shoot a feature film with a Panasonic S1H and an extra six grand of lenses than a Fujifilm GFX 100

Although, if the Fujifilm X-T4 lives up to its promise, I'd probably rather shoot a feature film with a X-T4 than a S1H! (especially as I could then use those lovely Fujifilm MKX T2.9 Cine Zoom Lens with a couple of X-T4 bodies)

It is "large format" relative to what is