5D Mark III Raw Lowlight Test

jpfilmz

Mostly shot on a 5D Mark III with the Magic Lantern Raw Hack with some H264 footage mixed in.  I believe I was shooting at ISO 20000. Lenses used were the Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and the Canon 24-70m f/2.8.  The raw files were graded in Resolve with bmd film applied and exported as 444 prores.  I was very impressed at how well the raw footage looked in the low light.  With the h264 video I have to turn on a z96 LED to not get noisy footage....but its sooo soft.  It's incredible how well raw does in low light.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, did you get any dead pixels? I've been having a really hard time with them at high ISO while shooting raw.

Hi Brandon, have you tried anything like Ripple Tools II's RT Cloner for dead pixels? I haven't, but I tried replicating the general idea myself in FCPX a while ago to try to get rid of some sensor dirt on a shot (with a mask on a layered clip moved slightly to the side). It didn't really work because there was a lot of camera movement in the shot so the 'cloned' area kept changing, and not always in sync with the masked area.

I don't have any dead pixels on my 5300 yet, but I'm concerned about what I'll do when/if I do get some...

Hi Brandon, have you tried anything like Ripple Tools II's RT Cloner for dead pixels? I haven't, but I tried replicating the general idea myself in FCPX a while ago to try to get rid of some sensor dirt on a shot (with a mask on a layered clip moved slightly to the side). It didn't really work because there was a lot of camera movement in the shot so the 'cloned' area kept changing, and not always in sync with the masked area.

I don't have any dead pixels on my 5300 yet, but I'm concerned about what I'll do when/if I do get some...

I've used the BG Pixel Blaster, which fixes the problem one agonizing pixel at a time...

I'll check out RT Cloner.  Maybe it's a smidge easier.

Apparently Raw Therapee is supposed to be a good program for my problem (don't know about AVCHD though).  But it has an intimidating interface.  I'm gonna keep the fix within FCP X if possible.

Hi, did you get any dead pixels? I've been having a really hard time with them at high ISO while shooting raw.

No, I haven't experienced any dead pixels as of yet.  There was an error in my above post.  I didn't shoot over 2000.  How high of an ISO were you shooting when you experienced dead pixels?

No, I haven't experienced any dead pixels as of yet.  There was an error in my above post.  I didn't shoot over 2000.  How high of an ISO were you shooting when you experienced dead pixels?

I usually start getting dead pixels at ISO 6400.  Which is a real shame because otherwise the footage is totally usable after a little de-noising.