Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

As an XT3/Fringer user with XT4 on the radar, I was not aware of this and thought IBIS worked with all adapted glass & adapters.

Potential spanner in the works then if this is the case as I was interested exploring the latest Metabones with focal reducer and a 24-70 from Tamron or Sigma.

Hmm...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

As an XT3/Fringer user with XT4 on the radar, I was not aware of this and thought IBIS worked with all adapted glass & adapters.

Potential spanner in the works then if this is the case as I was interested exploring the latest Metabones with focal reducer and a 24-70 from Tamron or Sigma.

Hmm...

As far as I know (it's barely documented clearly yet by anyone, including the makers of the adapters - they list some lens general compabilities but say very little about IBIS with each), they mostly turn your XT4 back into an XT3 in terms of IBIS, i.e. they deactivate it with tons of lenses.

I get that they've decided/settled for allowing OIS lenses to just replace the camera IBIS, fair enough, I can and do avoid OIS lenses anyway. But for zoom lenses than don't have their own OIS, I really would have thought the adaptor could still allow you use in camera IBIS. I suppose they have some difficulty around communicating the zoom focal length to the camera, which the IBIS must be calculated off. BUT this was no problem on my GH5 with zoom lenses on a Viltrox/Metabones adapter. There's probably just something really awkward about how Fuji handles IBIS focal length calculation.

Then there's the fact that I can still notice WILDLY different type of IBIS performance between two identical focal length lenses where one is native Fuji and one is a manual shoot-without-lens adapted mount...

IBIS in this camera has been a real disappointment, when you put all of it together. Likewise the AF I suppose, though that was never a huge hangup for me. But IBIS was my whole reason for buying an XT4. Sucks.

I did not know that.

I know it works with Fringer and Sigma 18-35 which is my current combo and my option lens is the Tamron 45mm f1.8.

I also have the Viltrox (X mount) 85mm f1.8 which I ‘assume’ would work with the XT4 IBIS and the Tamron has OIS anyway.

Most likely for me though is see how the XH2 turns out and make any decisions from that point onwards.

Oh and how do I know that combo of; XT4/Fringer/Sigma works? Plenty of YouTube videos out there!

16 hours ago, dgvro said:

I wanted to make a separate thread to ask about this but maybe I shouldn't:

Those of you who have used electronic adaptors to mount other lenses on the XT4 - which one(s) are best for still getting IBIS in the camera body to always function while using the adapter? Not DIS, not lens OIS, not IS Boost - I mean actual on-sensor IBIS.
I'm probably talking about EF->Fuji adapters here for the most part but sort of interested in whatever's out there too I guess.

It sounds like with nearly all the Fringer/Viltrox/Kipon/Metabones electronic adapters, you're pretty much getting an "all bets are off" with regard to whether IBIS will function in the camera when using the adapter, depending on the lens. I DON'T use and don't want to use any lenses that have their own OIS - and I know that OIS lenses force you to have the lens OIS supercede and deactivate the Fuji IBIS when using these adapters. But let's say just a regular electronic zoom EF lens like my Tamron 28-75 or Tokina 11-16, neither of which have lens OIS, apparently these will also prevent me from being able to use XT4's IBIS when on all of these adaptors?

Generally it seems like:
Lenses with OIS of their own - Fuji IBIS unavailable
UNstabilised Zoom lenses - Fuji IBIS is still defeated
Unstabilised fixed primes - Fuji IBIS usually may still work
Stabilised primes (rare, I can't even think of any) - Presumably still defeat Fuji IBIS

It's a real shame if so. If it's really only like that I will probably be going with some kind of fully manual dumb focal reducer (like a Zhongyi Lensturbo ii), keeping full use of IBIS (constantly setting focal mount length manually in the menu) and using other workarounds for if/when I want to change aperture.

15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Hmm...

I can speak to the Metabones adapter and a few  non IS EF lenses. I've use mine over the past few weeks with the 17-40L, 70-200 f2.8 (non-IS) and the 50 1.4. I didn't have receive any error messages about IBIS from the T4 when using these lenses  and was able to toggle Boost on and off. So I've assumed that IBIS was working with them. I just played around with the 17-40 and looked at footage I shot the other day with the 70-200, and it definitely seems like the IBIS is working. 

I have a 180 L Macro I can play with at some point, and I have a dumb Vizlex VND adapter I can put on and see if it makes any difference with IBIS and EF lenses, but probably not today.  Slammed with work projects and freelance stuff right now... a good place to be.

I'm happy with the Metabones speedbooster so far. I need to figure out an EF lens with good native autofocus that would fill a hole in my lens collection to buy and test with the Metabones. A  prime in the 50 to 80 range would be the ticket, I'm just not sure which lenses to look at here that aren't L-series. All my personal EF glass is L-Series, but I don't necessarily want to spend a grand+ right now on an adapted lens.

I think I did see in Metabones compatibility lists that certain zoom (non OIS) lenses from CANON do allow you keep the Xt4 IBIS active.

From what I could tell though they seemed to be saying no dice when it comes to similar from Tamron, Tokina etc. I generally can't ever afford the Canon branded 'equivalent' of my EF lenses. Tamron 28-75 and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8s were meant to be my poor man's workhorses. I'll have to buy an adapter from someplace that allows no hassle return and see for myself what really works or not.

As a video shooter I'm suddenly I'm kind of remorseful now that the Pana S5 has been announced at a sort of similar price point. Since I'm more of an IBIS zealot than an autofocus guy, it would have been awesome to have the full frame sensor for low light, similar (or better?) dynamic range, top notch IBIS, and apparently less overheating too. Trying to think of where the XT4 really would even have it beat... Size/weight, I suppose. "Eterna"? ...I can workaround with other color profiles all day, enjoy it even.

I haven’t really kept abreast with this thread so excuse me if this has been touched on before...

I’m a long time Fuji user. Currently running with 2 X-H1’s and an X-T3. I make most of my money in the stills department but am pushing further and further into video... I have most of the native Fuji fast glass but found for video I much prefer the look of vintage glass. I was lucky enough to inherit my father’s set of Ai-s primes which I’ve cine-modded. Mounted to the X-H1’s (fantastic stills / occasional video cameras) I’ve gotten some pretty stellar results even with their limited 8 bit codec. The softer lenses, older coating formulas cutting down on the overly sharpened image, beautiful highlight roll off + subtle bloom, and lovely organic looking flair (with a high quality ND in front of them). Of course when it comes to rolling shutter and pushing colors around the X-t3’s faster readout and superior codecs shine but I have much more fun just throwing the Nikkor 28 f2 or 50 f1.2 on one of the X-H1’s and just walking out the door.

In the time I’ve worked with the X-H1’s IBIS (after the firmware updates) I’ve found I can get pretty lovely pans, tilts, push-ins / pull-outs by putting it in a cage with a top handle and adding a bit of weight to the camera. Often in  lieu of a full rig by just screwing a 1-2lb counterweight directly under the center of mass... it seems by limiting the planes of movement (in a relative sense of course) the IBIS really does a lovely job.

For stills it’s a game changer especially when manually focusing old fast glass but that’s another story.

My question is has anyone tried this with X-t4? How does the IBIS perform under those conditions. 

Currently torn between selling the X-t3 and 16-80 and picking up an X-t4 or an s5. Or waiting perhaps another year for an X-h2. 🙃

Also does anyone know if the s5 suffers from the same latency issues over hdmi as previous Panasonic models? ... if so + lack of the ability to punch in while recording might make it a no go for my use case. Otherwise looks to be a lovely camera - of course a full size HDMI would be preferred!

Thanks for your time.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:37 AM, 63degreesnorth said:

I haven’t really kept abreast with this thread so excuse me if this has been touched on before...

I’m a long time Fuji user. Currently running with 2 X-H1’s and an X-T3. I make most of my money in the stills department but am pushing further and further into video... I have most of the native Fuji fast glass but found for video I much prefer the look of vintage glass. I was lucky enough to inherit my father’s set of Ai-s primes which I’ve cine-modded. Mounted to the X-H1’s (fantastic stills / occasional video cameras) I’ve gotten some pretty stellar results even with their limited 8 bit codec. The softer lenses, older coating formulas cutting down on the overly sharpened image, beautiful highlight roll off + subtle bloom, and lovely organic looking flair (with a high quality ND in front of them). Of course when it comes to rolling shutter and pushing colors around the X-t3’s faster readout and superior codecs shine but I have much more fun just throwing the Nikkor 28 f2 or 50 f1.2 on one of the X-H1’s and just walking out the door.

In the time I’ve worked with the X-H1’s IBIS (after the firmware updates) I’ve found I can get pretty lovely pans, tilts, push-ins / pull-outs by putting it in a cage with a top handle and adding a bit of weight to the camera. Often in  lieu of a full rig by just screwing a 1-2lb counterweight directly under the center of mass... it seems by limiting the planes of movement (in a relative sense of course) the IBIS really does a lovely job.

For stills it’s a game changer especially when manually focusing old fast glass but that’s another story.

My question is has anyone tried this with X-t4? How does the IBIS perform under those conditions. 

Currently torn between selling the X-t3 and 16-80 and picking up an X-t4 or an s5. Or waiting perhaps another year for an X-h2. 🙃

Also does anyone know if the s5 suffers from the same latency issues over hdmi as previous Panasonic models? ... if so + lack of the ability to punch in while recording might make it a no go for my use case. Otherwise looks to be a lovely camera - of course a full size HDMI would be preferred!

Thanks for your time.

I've used the XH1 and now own an XT4.
The XT4 is definitely just... better when it comes to IBIS. I found the XH1 to be sickeningly bad for the way I shoot, I had to get rid of it asap. Those little quantised jumps in sensor movement were destroying shot after shot. The XT4 has similar but more well-controlled issues I suppose. It's not up there with Panasonic IBIS though (not like GH5 anyway).

You're right about the planes of movement thing, this is the key with Fuji IBIS I guess. It just can't handle any sort of movement in more than one plane at a time. Tilt while panning? You'll get tiny jerks and catch-up movements in the stabilisation. Likewise strafing or raising the position of the whole camera in space while panning or tilting. You have to be very deliberate with the XT4 handheld movements. I never use the DIS digital stab. The IS Boost seems to be okay, to be honest I can't tell the difference in what that's doing half the time. It's performance may have been altered a bit in one of the firmware updates and I'm just confused about its efficacy now at this point.

Something about the XT4 footage stabilises pretty nicely in post, thankfully. Maybe the good performance for rolling shutter is important there. Stick (in DaVinci Resolve anyway) to the straightforward 'translation' type stabilisation and you can avoid the dreaded "warpy shit". So if you're happy enough to polish your footage after that way, you'll get perfectly great results with the XT4 IBIS, yes. Especially with a heavier setup, I guess.

The codecs are really great. I'm delighted with how well they hold up in terms of noise and dynamic range. They playback/edit fairly well for h265 and all too on my laptop.

• 1 month later...

My list of problems with XT-4 :

- 1.18 crop in 4k60 which is frankly too much, as I use this mode the most for my shooting style. Its bascily 1.52 apc-s crop plus 0.18, which results at 1.7 compared to 2 mft x 0.67 (using Viltrox) = 1.34 on GH5, it will be a serious downgrade if I switch 

- mediocore AF, not very reliable

- warpy edge IBIS 

- recording limits and overheating 

- useless for video manual dials 

Image is awesome, codec/nitrate choice amazing, price is perfect. Ergonomics is ok for me after disabling the manual dials for video mode. But I still can’t get around the AF... If anyone has good tips to help with video mode that would be awesome, especially :

- can you map the manual focus button to another switch that the one on the front of the camera ? 

• Andrew Reid unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...
On 9/1/2020 at 10:47 PM, EphraimP said:

I can speak to the Metabones adapter and a few  non IS EF lenses. I've use mine over the past few weeks with the 17-40L, 70-200 f2.8 (non-IS) and the 50 1.4. I didn't have receive any error messages about IBIS from the T4 when using these lenses  and was able to toggle Boost on and off. So I've assumed that IBIS was working with them. I just played around with the 17-40 and looked at footage I shot the other day with the 70-200, and it definitely seems like the IBIS is working. 

I have a 180 L Macro I can play with at some point, and I have a dumb Vizlex VND adapter I can put on and see if it makes any difference with IBIS and EF lenses, but probably not today.  Slammed with work projects and freelance stuff right now... a good place to be.

I'm happy with the Metabones speedbooster so far. I need to figure out an EF lens with good native autofocus that would fill a hole in my lens collection to buy and test with the Metabones. A  prime in the 50 to 80 range would be the ticket, I'm just not sure which lenses to look at here that aren't L-series. All my personal EF glass is L-Series, but I don't necessarily want to spend a grand+ right now on an adapted lens.

To chime in on this (four years later!) I recently picked up a Metabones X-mount 0.71x. I'm posting mainly as I couldn't find much about user experiences with them for X-mount. This thread was pretty much all there is, asides from a guy doing a youtube review but he used a 0.64x which seems odd as there is no 0.64x adapter for X-mount. 

I have only had it a couple of days and tried it with my X-T4 and the following EF lenses: Canon 50 1.2L, Canon 50 1.8 STM and Canon 16-35 F4 IS. It worked fine, focus, IS (when available) all worked. I'm not sure how great the focus is, but it did lock on to things. There isn't much vignetting that I could see. Overall it seems fine, I'm surprised more people are not using this adapter with X-mount bodies. The only thing of note is that it is quite tight on the EF mount with L series lenses (which have weather sealing gaskets). The 50mm STM was perfect, the other two took a bit of a twist to get on / off. But nothing extreme. Certainly there won't be any light leaks. I now want to try it out with some vintage glass, though I am a bit worried about hitting the optics with the rear of some of my older lenses. I'm working to the principle that adapted Contax Zeiss lenses that hit the mirror on a 5D will also not be usable on this speed booster. We will see.