Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good news.

This is something I asked about in my upcoming Fuji interview. Looks like I can delete the question now ;)

Maybe keep it in there if you can 😅 I believe there's still a bit of a question mark there, I haven't found it as much of an improvement as those other users.
I'd be interested to maybe even find out about the nature of what they claim exactly was improved by v1.02. Did they simply scale IBIS strength down overall (honestly it could be that), did they just pinpoint and targeted fix that one exact 'catch-up' step it does, etc.  There's still stepping but it just doesn't jump off entire cliffs now. And I even found my description of how it works now almost contrary to theirs (what they said about delay initiating panning... there's *less* delay now imo. Feels like there's tighter reponse in the frame movements and I can see how that would prevent the big catch-up stepping it was doing. But for general purpose stabilisation that may have put us further still from floaty-smooth Olympus IBIS)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Are you planning to / could you ask them about stepping aperture? It's be great to have a smoother transition on native lenses.

Likewise stepping ISO has been a pain for transitions. and I would have loved to be able to apply a maximum upper auto-ISO value limit in video (which in itself would mitigate visible stepping too), I find the auto ISO to be really useful for run & gun stuff but it's just pushing it allowing all the way to 12800. You're talking about ending up with clips in the mix that needs completely different drastic levels of NR or maybe even just not usable. Something 6400-8000 would be perfect as an upper limit we could apply. I know you aren't getting to go and just throw a feature wishlist at them instead of an interview of course 😅

Really hope Fuji provide a similar update to the X-T4 (and maybe the X-T3 too) for it to be able to output ProRes RAW externally as they just did with the GFX100 sometime in the near future... assuming it's possible, of course. It sounds as though we're still aways off from getting an X-H2 where such a feature would seem immediately obvious, so it'd make sense to capitalize on the hype towards these two cameras in the meantime by providing them a means to output some sort of RAW video codec. 

Obviously it's not needed, as I've seen plenty of incredible results from the internal 10bit 4:2:0 H.625 codec and the externally outputted 4:2:2 10bit ProRes, but I feel like the presence of a RAW option would help sweeten the pot a bit more for some.

1 hour ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

Really hope Fuji provide a similar update to the X-T4 (and maybe the X-T3 too) for it to be able to output ProRes RAW externally as they just did with the GFX100 sometime in the near future... assuming it's possible, of course.

It wouldn't really be possible or make sense, since the X-T3 and X-T4 have sensors with X-Trans (instead of Bayer) filter patterns. Neither Resolve, nor any other video software would be able to process that material.

And even if you added X-Trans support to all those programs, it wouldn't be practical because demosaicing X-Trans is a computationally much more demanding process and would result in terrible playback performance.

9 hours ago, rawshooter said:

uldn't really be possible or make sense, since the X-T3 and X-T4 have sensors with X-Trans (instead of Bayer) filter patterns. Neither Resolve, nor any other video software would be able to process that material.

And even if you added X-Trans support to all those programs, it wouldn't be practical because demosaicing X-Trans is a computationally much more demanding process and would result in terrible playback performance.

My hopes 💔😭

6 hours ago, josdr said:

fuji should release a decent update for the X-T3.. It is getting ridiculous by this stage... And with so many new cameras incoming, it will buy them a lot of goodwill, when new Fuji bodies come...

What is getting ridiculous? There have been so many great firmware updates for the X-T3 over the past two years. At some point you have to expect the old cameras to stop getting new features.

I think we will get at least one more firmware upgrade to the XT3 but it will be the last (other than the lens related ones that pop up from time to time).

Classic Neg and AF tweaks, but I'd reckon that's it.

Fujifilm are probably just holding off to protect initial XT4 sales which is to be expected, so maybe late Summer?

Just speculating...

47 minutes ago, Brother said:

Fuji giveth and fuji taketh away... IBIS jumping have been replaced with micro jitters in the 1.02 firmware and it ain't pretty. XF35/1.4 with IBIS only, no DIS or boost. 25 fps h264 200mbit. Watch in full screen to better see the jitter.

In fairness though, I've only gotten good results with IBIS on X-T4 with IBIS Boost On, I never turn it off, even if I am panning.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:01 PM, Brother said:

Fuji giveth and fuji taketh away... IBIS jumping have been replaced with micro jitters in the 1.02 firmware and it ain't pretty. XF35/1.4 with IBIS only, no DIS or boost. 25 fps h264 200mbit. Watch in full screen to better see the jitter.

Haven't even watched the video yet and I know all too much about it. It's a bummer because I guess this means if I want OTHER improvements that come with future firmwares, I have to accept this generally-a-bit-uglier-but-"reliably ugly" IBIS along with it...

I wasn't quite ready to come out and say the v1.00 IBIS actually worked better for me (just had to be careful with those slow pans and changes of directions, construct my shots' movement a bit more thoughtfully, not a bad thing at all for someone just learning to really USE a video camera as a creative tool), but, well. I'm kind of saying it, or at least that I now don't know what's worse.

I feel like the Fuji Autofocus (not a big hangup for me as I focus manual so much) is a bit of a similar letdown in real world practice for people compared to the specs/on paper etc. Also focus breathing... I never even saw the big deal people made about that phenomenon until I looked at how some of these Fuji lens focus pulls look. It's pretty offputting. There's nearly no Fuji lenses I seem to desire for video... I will only be bothering with their pancakey primes, and only as a tool for easy every-day-carry point and shoot stills convenience, I think.

I don't think they're gonna get there with Firmware updates on this camera, unless maybe their next hybrid video/stills unit really is a huge long way off due to Covid stuff and they kind of change tack to milking this model for better and better sales or something. Hope so, but... doubt it. I'll stick with the system for the life of the XT4 at the least though I think, and see what comes next.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:37 PM, Brian Williams said:

In fairness though, I've only gotten good results with IBIS on X-T4 with IBIS Boost On, I never turn it off, even if I am panning.

I know that I hate the DIS, but, IS Boost I'm not even sure what to make of yet (other than obviously being good for totally locked-off look. Have you found you preferred it on both firmware versions? With what kind of lenses? Any good videos showing it's the lesser evil? Everything I saw so far made me not so confident about it.

I'm still doing my manual dumb adaptor lens with fake shorter focal length setting workaround for the moment for crucial video shots I guess.

3 hours ago, dgvro said:

I know that I hate the DIS, but, IS Boost I'm not even sure what to make of yet (other than obviously being good for totally locked-off look. Have you found you preferred it on both firmware versions? With what kind of lenses? Any good videos showing it's the lesser evil? Everything I saw so far made me not so confident about it.

I'm still doing my manual dumb adaptor lens with fake shorter focal length setting workaround for the moment for crucial video shots I guess.

Here is my quick test I just did with firmware 1.02 and the WR 35 f2 lens.

Honestly, I can't tell which mode is working best here. Am I moving too fast to see it?

18 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Here is my quick test I just did with firmware 1.02 and the WR 35 f2 lens.

Honestly, I can't tell which mode is working best here. Am I moving too fast to see it?

In this video, I maybe noticed the IBIS-only shot having a sliiightly shakier quality. To be honest none of these clips seemed to suffer much from the micro stepping stabilisation anyway. It's just such a tight, brief shot and yeah, maybe not even the exact sort of panning that causes it either. 'orbiting' around a central point and panning as you move position (in order to maintain framing on the centre point) seems to be what the IBIS makes the biggest shitshow of. Likewise raising the camera's altitude while tilting up or down slowly simultaneous.

DIS looked okay here and it reduces shakiness normally but it clearly causes disgusting warping/jelly in my clips so far, I can't go near it. Maybe on longer lenses it's more usable due to the quirks of the optics compression on longer focal lengths, i.e. if it's at its worst on a very wide lens (especially anything less than perfectly rectilinear), maybe it's by the same token conversely way less terrible on an opposite sort of lens (long).

Hmm. Similar again, I guess the IBIS-only one did look a tiny bit worse - definitely could see those micro quantum leaps this time!

Everything from IBIS+Boost onward seemed a little better, yep. Still something a tiny bit nervous about the movement in the +IS Boost one, it's almost like you can see it just about restraining the micro stepping as it happens, haha.

Good to know, thanks for this. I'll continue to give IS Boost another fair shot. Especially since it's not adding crop and it doesn't (I think?) introduce any warpy jelly biz.
I think an IS anti-boost toggle option might what I'd kill for (at least on the initial firmware). I see Olympus, Kings of IBIS, even have a whole sliding scale parameter you can set ❤️