Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I think you still need to send them in and pay the fee

If only they could figure out what Apple is doing with their apps.

Must be a trick to it somehow.

I just can't quite put my finger on it... Something to do with a world wide web type store thing? and encrypted payments??!

• Super Members

Call me cynical but I think you pay the fee for the "upgrade", send it to Nikon, they clean the sensor so it looks like they've done something and then send whatever you've paid them straight on to RED as a royalty payment before sending your camera back ;)

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You should try the Fringer EF mount adapter for the Z6. The AF is like dual pixel AF. Works much more reliably than the Techart e-mount adapter did.

The Z6 remains a very underrated tool.

I think the problem is that almost all the competition is more interesting in one way or another and the body design make it look like a cheap Nikon 1 series thing.

Absolutely underrated. IBIS is on par with S1H. And I fell in love with it's autofocus using Z lenses (have 50mm and 24-70 f4). Never thought I would, but they did it right definitely giving video shooters some thought  - lenses practically don't breath, focus absolutely silently, and there's no hunting, transitions are smooth. There was so much hate and misinformation about Z6 from the beginning. And Nikon are so incapable of marketing the strengths of their products, it almost makes you cry...

5 minutes ago, Zeng said:

Absolutely underrated. IBIS is on par with S1H. And I fell in love with it's autofocus using Z lenses (have 50mm and 24-70 f4). Never thought I would, but they did it right definitely giving video shooters some thought  - lenses practically don't breath, focus absolutely silently, and there's no hunting, transitions are smooth. There was so much hate and misinformation about Z6 from the beginning. And Nikon are so incapable of marketing the strengths of their products, it almost makes you cry...

Still on  my radar for my next hybrid system. A second generation of bodies, and a few more lens options can make it absolutely right. R5/R6 are scary though..

The Z6 keeps calling me also.

Love everything about it except back up card slot (could live with that) and lack of 4K 60p, but otherwise just about perfect for my needs.

And the ‘lack’ of lenses some talk about. Eh? Perfect line up for me personally.

With it looking increasingly likely like zero weddings in France this season, it could be a contender for 2021...

8 minutes ago, Brother said:

Did they get rid of the screen delay in 24fps video recording? Remember it driving me a bit crazy when I used it about 5-6 months ago. 

Unfortunately no. I sold mine because of this, but I really miss it though. And I know some people aren’t even bothered by this, but just like you I found it too annoying to live with. Hopefully this gets remedied on the mark ii. And I really wish Nikon would release their compact primes already.

My biggest gripe with Z series was no internal Log. You also gotta go external for 10-bit & ProRes RAW. If Nikon addressed those three points and threw in 4K60p on a Mk2 they might be competing. But somehow I doubt anything is coming soon. Are there even rumors of a Mark II Z line?

2 hours ago, Brother said:

Did they get rid of the screen delay in 24fps video recording? Remember it driving me a bit crazy when I used it about 5-6 months ago. 

Screen delay when recording externally to Ninja V was improved. Was around 8 frames, now around 4. But only for Prores Raw.

21 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

They could probably just send someone they know and trust over on a bike to get it.

It is not unheard of for guys on bicycles to be carrying around a check for tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars / pounds (or heck, even millions!).

That's the beauty of modern day money, it can be practically weightless!

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is not unheard of for guys on bicycles to be carrying around a check for tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars / pounds (or heck, even millions!).

Well that particular cyclist certainly did.

And had plenty of carry space left for a few prescriptions.

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That's the beauty of modern day money, it can be practically weightless!

The stuff on his prescriptions certainly helped with the weightless thing.

Without sacrificing any power.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:53 PM, Andrew Reid said:

and the view assist works well too

I wonder if they updated it or is it a completely new feature.

There is no assist on X-T3, unfortunately, and the "Natural Live View" thing that's supposed to properly display F-LOG / HLG on camera, seriously messes with zebra readings.
Things, that weren't even near clipping point in HLG preview, are lit up like a Christmas tree after enabling it.

Overall, I find Fuji's zebras quite too conservative.
There were times when I had to slightly overexpose the image and I was getting a lot of zebra'ed areas, but after importing the footage to Resolve, I saw that those areas weren't clipped at all, even though I've got my zebras set up to 100% (can't go higher than that).

Sure, it was a nice surprise, though I'd rather have a tool that I can trust and if it tells me something is clipped, then it truly should be.

I notice the X-T4 IBIS has a mode which combines OIS and sensor stabilisation BTW.

Absolutely ! However the 16-55 f2.8 doesn't have OIS :) 

I do miss the f2.0 of the Samsung 16-50mm f2.0-2.8 at 16mm and it's OIS,  however having a bit more reach +IBIS is really nice. Overall I think the samsung isn't as sharp as the Fuji especially at it's widest end.

The Z6 remains a very underrated tool.

Totally agree. I also can't understand why Nikon wouldn't make a 4K 60p 10 bit version of it. They should make one this year and announce it. Many people wouldn't want 8K raw from Canon if they could get 10bit 4k for half the price.

I think the problem is that almost all the competition is more interesting in one way or another and the body design make it look like a cheap Nikon 1 series thing.

It's probably not the best in anything, but the most balanced hybrid out there. Even the lens lineup feels this way. All the lenses are VERY good, but none of them are spectacular, or special (I'm ignoring the noct f0.95 on purpose, I still don't get the idea of making such a niche lens when there isn't anything faster than f1.8 out there yet).

Yeah, I'm not warming to the feel of it either. X-Pro 3 and X-H1 far nicer and pro-feeling. The whole thing is covered in soulless, thin, faux leather. The way that fake leather covers the entire back of the LCD when it's closed - UGH. What were the thinking. X-T4, for want of a better word just feels a bit cheap? A bit clinical? Not as fun? Yet it has all the right features in the right place... Just played at a slightly tinny tone.

That's exactly what I'm feeling. And to be honest, the Z6 isn't very "fun" to use, but it just grows on you with the ease. It feels good. Like a pillow. You didn't know you needed it until someone took it away.

The shallow grip is woeful on the X-T4.

I can't wait to tweak it and try a couple of accessories. There is literally no grip on this camera !

There doesn't need to be two lines at the moment.

I just don't understand why so many camera manufacturers get it so wrong right now ! With the market being what it is keeping so many different lines, many products, and not just Fuji ! Nikon with the DSLR... At least Canon got it. They said "no more EF glass" and that's what it is. I'm sorry for anyone who invested but they can still use it on the EOS R. And the adapters are amazing. I mean the market is really small right now. You have to go big (quality/specs wise), and small (a small number of bodies). In a couple of years/months/weeks one body will fit the need of 90% photographers and videographers combined. They keep getting smaller, better battery life, better glass, better photo & video. How long will it take until you can merge a BMPCC 6K and a Z6/EOS R/A73 ? How many lines of different cameras will you need then ?

The ISO dial doesn't do it for me. Would rather have it on a jog wheel like normal.

I'm glad you mentioned that ! I discovered the jog wheel on the NX1 and expected every other manufacturer to use it. Instead most manufacturers still use those awkward small arrows buttons. A jog wheel makes it 100x easier and faster to move in your camera settings. Plus on the NX1 the jog wheel was combined with buttons. "Checkmate !"

I find it depends a lot on the lens. Some of Fuji's best lenses like the 23mm F1.4 have old fashioned grinding motors and moving barrels during AF. They are extremely loud for video shooting and slower than the internal focussing lenses like the zooms.

Fuji needs to update their primes and it was a stupid decision in the first place to put such old AF tech in the lenses.

On the camera body side I feel the AF is fundamentally good but still not as reliable as it should be for video.

Thanks for the uptake :)  I will try again tomorrow with a model. AF seemed worse than on the NX1 & Z6. But I don't want to dismiss the camera yet I still feel like there is much more to tweak and explore AF-wise before jumping to any conclusion. I would be disappointed if I couldn't use some faster lenses due to bad AF... F2.0 on APS-C on a wide-ish focal is nothing special.

I also like the Micro Four Thirds 1.95x crop mode at ALL resolutions and frame rates

I have not yet discovered this mode ! That could be fun & useful to get this extra focal lenght.

F-LOG is great for maximum dynamic range, at least 12-stops by eye, and the view assist works well too although could use a contrast adjustment slider.

Coming from the Z6 I feel happy enough to have that assist lol, but agree that the contrast can be a bit harsh depending on the situation. It worked fine for me for now, but you can always improve. I would like however to be able to import my lut in the camera. That would be really nice. 

The finger hole to undock it and the mechanism is a bit too stiff and fiddly on the X-T4 though.

Yes ! I used to love this flippy screen on my GH2-3-4 ! And even regretted not having one on the NX1, but then realized how quicker I got these shots. Now it feels awkward having to take out the screen, flip it around, pray that you're not going to run into obstacles (cables and what not). And you said it all, it's "difficult" to take it out. Not difficult. Just not easy enough, and that's how I feel overall : everything could be a bit smoother, a bit more practical to use. 

The Nikon Z6 I think is a bit of a Canon EOS R6 type camera, if that is how we expect it to turn out - not quite a 1D X III with RAW and 5.5K but 4K at normal frame rates, a good all rounder, with good colour and decent AF with EF lenses (Fringer adapter).

I feel the X-T4 neither has the nimbleness or fun of an NX1, but it doesn't lack for features that's for sure.

It feels like Fuji has one set of designers on X-H1 / GFX 100 and another set on X-T series. One side is designing pro cameras, the other side is a bunch of hipsters with their retro ISO dials and should be fired.

Definitely agree with that. The X-T4 is not fun to use. But it's a powerhouse in many aspects. Its image in 4K 10 bit, I wish I could get this out of the Z6. It really feels like a couple of cameras seem "unfinished". But I guess we have been spoiled with so many toys lately ! Right now I don't know how much I am willing to invest in the Fuji, I would like to get the 35mm f1.4 but I'm very worried about the AF.... And f2.0 on APS-C feels a bit "meh".  I'll probably keep playing with it, getting used to it and come back in a couple of weeks, read my comments and go : "I was so stupid !" 

Or Nikon makes a big announcement tomorrow about a Z6 mark II and I get to buy all the Z lenses out there !
#indecisive 

58 minutes ago, neosushi said:

Definitely agree with that. The X-T4 is not fun to use. But it's a powerhouse in many aspects. Its image in 4K 10 bit, I wish I could get this out of the Z6. It really feels like a couple of cameras seem "unfinished". But I guess we have been spoiled with so many toys lately ! Right now I don't know how much I am willing to invest in the Fuji, I would like to get the 35mm f1.4 but I'm very worried about the AF.... And f2.0 on APS-C feels a bit "meh".  I'll probably keep playing with it, getting used to it and come back in a couple of weeks, read my comments and go : "I was so stupid !" 

Or Nikon makes a big announcement tomorrow about a Z6 mark II and I get to buy all the Z lenses out there !
#indecisive 

What about the 33mm 1.4 by viltrox? From reviews its actually sharper and has less vignetting at 1.4 than then Fuji's very own 35mm 1.4, plus the bokeh is actually nicer(no onion rings)

11 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

What about the 33mm 1.4 by viltrox? From reviews its actually sharper and has less vignetting at 1.4 than then Fuji's very own 35mm 1.4, plus the bokeh is actually nicer(no onion rings)

Thanks ! I don't know why I thought Viltrox lenses were only manual... Duh... I'm going to check some reviews right away :) 

14 minutes ago, neosushi said:

Thanks ! I don't know why I thought Viltrox lenses were only manual... Duh... I'm going to check some reviews right away :) 

So from what I have looked up so far, the 33mm Viltrox seems to be only a half stop brighter than the f2.0, you can't focus as close as the Fuji so you kind of lose a bit of the f1.4 advantage. Also the sharpness doesn't seem great, as well as build quality. Price-wise it's more expensive than the fuji. Mmm I'm leaning towards the Fuji 35 f2.0, but that would be the equivalent of a f3.0 on a FF (bokeh-wise). I wouldn't mind if Fuji put out a newer version of their 35mm f1.4 with (much) better and quieter AF... 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:41 AM, Brother said:

I love my Z6 for form factor, but this delay problem alone makes me constantly consider selling it because it can't be used for a live event environment or on a proper set.