Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

23 minutes ago, M.R. said:

If I'm not mistaken OIS is normally always better than IBIS right?

It's hard to find some good sources where you can see some of the cheaper lenses tested, so I'm asking here.
The image quality seems fine, judging from the reviews, of all the cheap or moderately cheap kit lenses from Fuji.
But how is the OIS and Autofocus of the following lenses on a Fuji XT 3 (or XT 4, or compareable model)

Fuji XC 15-45mm F3.5 - 5.6 OIS PZ
Fuji XC 16-50mm F3.5 - 5.6 OIS II
Fuji XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4 R LM OIS

And how does it compare to the Fuji XF 16 - 80 mm F4 R OIS WR for instance?

I can only comment on the 18-55 2.8 which has amazing OIS and auto focus. I also have the 50-230 which also has good OIS and auto focus. IBIS seems to F up stabilization on wider lenses(almost every IBIS system I've seen). While the OIS does a great job at the wider end. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Fuji's IBIS is like Panasonic's auto focus. They just don't seem to care. 

Besides the stepping issue, it's very good.

I have a 135mm manual lens that I couldn't even focus properly for a still shot on the X-T3, but it's a joy to use on the X-H1 because of IBIS.

X-T4 will be more popular than X-H1 so I am sure they will try harder to solve these issues.

13 hours ago, Stathman said:

Besides the stepping issue, it's very good.

I didn't buy the X-T4 yet, but the IBIS on the X-H1 was great, especially considering it was Fujis first IBIS system. It worked better with photos than video, but even in video, after a firmware update or two, it was very good. I wouldn't rank it far behind the GH5. 

And Fujis OIS lenses have some of the best stabilization I have used yet. Even their 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 kit lens has great OIS. 

• Administrators

Try turning IS Boost off, see if it frees up the camera a bit for panning motions... That is designed to mitigate even the smallest movement for a locked down shot without a tripod.

I wonder when Sony will have an answer to the X-T4. They must be losing a shit ton of sales.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Try turning IS Boost off, see if it frees up the camera a bit for panning motions... That is designed to mitigate even the smallest movement for a locked down shot without a tripod.

I wonder when Sony will have an answer to the X-T4. They must be losing a shit ton of sales.

Andrew, as I know you own also a few anamorphic lenses. Can you please do a test with X-T4 when you have the camera? Thanks!

• Administrators
On 5/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, rawshooter said:

Look closer - IBIS stutters at 00:04, 00:21 and 00:38 and jumps at 00:36. (I even downloaded the video and watched it in an external player to make sure this wasn't caused by Vimeo's sometimes unreliable streaming.)

Here it seems like an editing choice in the video. A purposeful chop / skip.

Until I try this camera myself it is tricky for me to know what other people's shakey hands are doing 😂

IBIS can only do so much.

Fuji has past good form with IBIS. Sony's is really weak, compared to my Fuji X-H1.

17 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Andrew, as I know you own also a few anamorphic lenses. Can you please do a test with X-T4 when you have the camera? Thanks!

Yes I plan to pair it with a Baby Hypergonar!

Works on a Super 35mm frame at 55mm.

I'd like Fuji to add a firmware update for 4:3 shooting, up to 60p. Max res.

Sensor is capable of it.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here it seems like an editing choice in the video. A purposeful chop / skip.

Until I try this camera myself it is tricky for me to know what other people's shakey hands are doing 😂

IBIS can only do so much.

Fuji has past good form with IBIS. Sony's is really weak, compared to my Fuji X-H1.

Yes I plan to pair it with a Baby Hypergonar!

Works on a Super 35mm frame at 55mm.

I'd like Fuji to add a firmware update for 4:3 shooting, up to 60p. Max res.

Sensor is capable of it.

Anamorphic mode should be 6:5 like Pocket 6K, to go up to 60P, the sensor needs to be cropped to 3728 x 3020.

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/frequently-asked-questions/alexa-sxt-faq/why-6-5-i-thought-you-needed-4-3-for-anamorphic--41676

Just a few bad and boring shoots to test my XT4

https://vimeo.com/416181826

password : xt4anamorph

1 / 48s, ISO 1600, ND16 filter, F-log, 400Mbps, NR-4, SH-4

IS mode : IBIS/OIS; IS mode boost : off
anamorphic Sirui lens 1.33, F1.8
Exposure adjustment with declic aperture ring with the zebra as a video instrument.
XT4 hand-held.

Editing FCPX; colorgrading Resolve (RCM no LUT)

15 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Thinking about have some Fuji taste, with an XT-30; anybody have good stabilization samples with the 18-55 f/2.8-4 kit lens? (sorry for the off topic)

Except for the static wide shot at the beginning, this was shot handheld with the 18-55 kit lens on the x-t2 (pretend that it's a Marvel movie and watch through the credits).

6 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

Just a few bad and boring shoots to test my XT4

https://vimeo.com/416181826

password : xt4anamorph

1 / 48s, ISO 1600, ND16 filter, F-log, 400Mbps, NR-4, SH-4

IS mode : IBIS/OIS; IS mode boost : off
anamorphic Sirui lens 1.33, F1.8
Exposure adjustment with declic aperture ring with the zebra as a video instrument.
XT4 hand-held.

Editing FCPX; colorgrading Resolve (RCM no LUT)

Nice work !

Funnily enough I was Place de la contrescarpe and right where you were in the quartier latin doing the same kind of shots with my X-T3 two days ago !

• Administrators
11 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Enna is stil using NX1. I watch his films often while I also had that great Samsung camera. Now he is testing both, X-T4 and NX1. ISO jump.

That's a pretty interesting finding.

The NX1 is way smoother.

5 hours ago, keessie65 said:

yes, and the NX1 is 5 and a half years old....

Well, the coffin is nailed shut for me in regard to the XT4 now and as much as the Samsung is tempting, I think I'll just stick with the XT3!

I am always slightly sceptical about some of the reviews and criticisms of any new kit unless I know and trust the reviewer.

I don't necessarily mean 'know' as in know them personally, though I know a few folks in the (photography world mainly), but rather they deliver consistently unbiased reviews.

I had someone I know (in Australia) do an IBIS test yesterday at various focal lengths, both with and without DIS on and not very impressed...

The slightest movement with the DIS on, then it bakes in some weird compensation, so may as well go without it and use warp stabiliser instead.

But that's a bit of a faff if it's a lot of material and I'm more about keeping my workload as low as possible, so based on this issue (I'd want it bullet-proof and rock solid and expect in time, knowing Fuji it will be), combined with price (plus extra batteries, charger et al) plus the screen I absolutely bl🥵🥵dy hate (but could have lived with it if there were enough compelling reasons...but there aren't) so I'm out.

I don't hate it, - there's just not 'enough' there for me and too many other issues/compromises personal to how I like to and want to work so I'll wait and see what an XH2 may bring...