Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

Got mine yesterday so haven't had the time to do a proper test but Fuji IBIS is still weird. Included some shots of it in a video. It's like the software locks on to something and then realizes the camera is still moving and compensates by moving the sensor with a quick jump. Contacted Fuji about this and they said it was the first time they heard about it, strange... Did test the overheating, 3 x 30 min 4k 50p h265 200mbps was not a problem in a 22 degree room.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Static shots look fine though, can't help but feel this IBIS issue is overblown by those expecting gimbal results.

I think I'm about to pull trigger on a XT4. Coming from an XT2 it will surely blow my mind.

That is unless I go for a sigma FP. 🤔 

• Administrators

They do need to smooth out those sudden jumps somehow, but I can't help feeling if you knock a camera, be it a Sony, Fuji or Panasonic with IBIS, they are all going to do the same thing?

I'll do an IBIS round-up.

Got a feeling Olympus E-M1X will come out top.

2 hours ago, Django said:

Static shots look fine though, can't help but feel this IBIS issue is overblown by those expecting gimbal results.

I don't expect gimbal results, i don't even expect GH5 results. I expect a sensor that isn't jumping around for no good reason. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

They do need to smooth out those sudden jumps somehow, but I can't help feeling if you knock a camera, be it a Sony, Fuji or Panasonic with IBIS, they are all going to do the same thing?

I'll do an IBIS round-up.

For sure, knocking a camera around will introduce jumps in the very best of sensor stabilization units. But doing smooth movements like i did should yield better results. 

16 minutes ago, Brother said:

I don't expect gimbal results, i don't even expect GH5 results. I expect a sensor that isn't jumping around for no good reason. 

For sure, knocking a camera around will introduce jumps in the very best of sensor stabilization units. But doing smooth movements like i did should yield better results. 

What I'm saying is I didn't find it to be as distracting as others are making it to be, then again I prefer a stable handheld shot then a floating gimbal look.

I do know what you mean about the jumpiness though, it was there on XH1. It is disappoint to know they haven't sorted that out with all the talk of improved IBIS spring tech.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You still have the E-M1X? I’ve been thinking about the E-M1ii for documentary purposes, how high would you push the ISO on the Olympus? It’s the same sensor as the GH5, right?

• Administrators

Yes about the same as GH5 for low light, maybe a bit better. It's a superb shot-getter. But X-T4 is also a gem of a camera. I'd go with either over a Blackmagic Pocket.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Does the jumping happen the same on all lenses?

Lenses with built in OIS tend to do jumping with fast panning more than just using sensor stabilization.

He should try the IBIS boost mode as well. This adds a small crop but makes the stabilisation more effective in video mode.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Brother said:

Let's try and get a bit deeper into it... Not saying it isn't a bug, but we could do with knowing a few things... What lens was in use? What level of IBIS was turned on? Boost mode or just sensor shift? What focal length? Was it a manual focus adapted lens and was the focal length input into the menus? Or was it a native Fuji lens? If so, did it have OIS?

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Let's try and get a bit deeper into it... Not saying it isn't a bug, but we could do with knowing a few things... What lens was in use? What level of IBIS was turned on? Boost mode or just sensor shift? What focal length? Was it a manual focus adapted lens and was the focal length input into the menus? Or was it a native Fuji lens? If so, did it have OIS?

All the info is here:

• Administrators

I see. Certainly seems like a bug to me. Well mine arrives on Wednesday and I'll see if there's a way to shoot with it that doesn't provoke it. The rotating type of shot above certainly doesn't seem to be handled with any kind of finesse.

But it is V1.0 firmware, so I am sure it is fixable. Fuji are very responsive when it comes to these things.

I still have the X-H1 and will see if that also exhibits the behaviour.

Clearly not going to hurt every shot... But those rotations, it seems like the camera wants to catch up or over-compensate... Possibly what I think is going on, is that the sensor is moving on the X axis slowly along to try and resist the rotation, and then when it runs out of room, resets itself to the middle and then starts again.

Anyway, we'll see what Fuji has to say. I'm sending this to my contacts there.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I've tried 7Artisans 25/1.8 (with the correct focal length set in the menu), Fuji XF 35/1.4 and Fuji 23/2. They all yield the same results, both with SAF, CAF and Manual focus. IBIS was turned on, IS BOOST mode and DIS was turned off, turning them on makes the problem even worse. I've included a shot with IBIS+DIS in my test video that @androidladposted. I even tested H264 vs H265, DCI VS 16:9, 100 vs 200 vs 400 mbps, 25 vs 50 fps. Same result. 

The thing is, you have to move the camera slowly in order for this to happen. It seems to me that the camera realizes to late that it's actually moving and compensates for it with the "jump" If I increase the speed of the exact same movement, the sensor doesn't jump.

53 minutes ago, Brother said:

The thing is, you have to move the camera slowly in order for this to happen. It seems to me that the camera realizes to late that it's actually moving and compensates for it with the "jump" If I increase the speed of the exact same movement, the sensor doesn't jump.

This is the real bummer. I do slow pans with my GH5 a LOT– it's great with the IBIS, but if the XT4 keeps jumping like that it's gonna be a big problem for me. I rarely do quick moves.

Thanks for all your experimentation. I am hopeful Fuji will help solve this!