Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what's going on with the IBIS in this video, but I had to stop watching after a couple of minutes because the frame edge wobbling was giving me a headache (from Levi Allen using a "loaner model")...

Fuji Xt-4: Am I finally Switching Camera Systems? (Q&A) - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKiT9fHaQw

...and based on the comments there, I'm not alone, oofah.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Not sure what's going on with the IBIS in this video, but I had to stop watching after a couple of minutes because the frame edge wobbling was giving me a headache (from Levi Allen using a "loaner model")...

Fuji Xt-4: Am I finally Switching Camera Systems? (Q&A) - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKiT9fHaQw

...and based on the comments there, I'm not alone, oofah.

Why does some guys still believe X-T4 is a steadycam. It's not a promotion for this camera. I could have done a better test, send me that camera please 😉

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 98 percent of all the preproduction videos on the X-T4, since I was super interested in buying it and replace my Z6 with it. I can safely say that the warping and wobble from the X-T4 is worse than all the cameras I've ever tried or owned (A7III, Olympus EM-1 II, Z6 and GH5).

This is a huge disappointment. I've also seen one video where the guys testing the X-T4, I think in Malaysia, gets the camera to overheat within 15 minutes, something that never happened with my X-T3.

What I find especially disturbing is that if you are hand holding the X-T4 with as little movement as possible it still exhibits warping, even on a moderately wide lens like the 16mm. This doesn't happen with my Z6 on a 24mm. It's very very stable. 

From what I have seen, so many of these tests seem to involve waving the camera around and then saying, hey, look at how bad this is. Quite often, by someone who isn't into Fuji or does reviews from their bedroom in their parents basement.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration but I have seen plenty of rock steady output which is what I am looking for and on Fuji lenses such as the 50mm f2 which will be my go to if this season ever gets going. And an XT4 appears in reality. I'm a longer lens kind of guy.

I suspect any other warping issues will have been resolved by then as Fuji historically fix this kind of thing. Hardware, less easy/impossible such as if you hate the screen like I do, you either have to live with it or do something else, but I am pretty sure this warp/wobble thing won't be a thing in the second half of this year.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

From what I have seen, so many of these tests seem to involve waving the camera around and then saying, hey, look at how bad this is. Quite often, by someone who isn't into Fuji or does reviews from their bedroom in their parents basement.

He's using the 10-24mm which would cause a problem on any IBIS system, but notice how even when he's trying to hold the camera still, there's excessive warping. The only time it looks ok is when he's on his boat, with the camera presumably fixed with a gorilla.

Unusable. It would look ten times better with the X-T3 and the 10-24mm only using OIS of the lens. 

19 hours ago, Simon Young said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 98 percent of all the preproduction videos on the X-T4, since I was super interested in buying it and replace my Z6 with it. I can safely say that the warping and wobble from the X-T4 is worse than all the cameras I've ever tried or owned (A7III, Olympus EM-1 II, Z6 and GH5).

This is a huge disappointment. I've also seen one video where the guys testing the X-T4, I think in Malaysia, gets the camera to overheat within 15 minutes, something that never happened with my X-T3.

The potential overheating issue is much more of a deal breaker to me. You got a link to that video?

I was set to purchase a X100V as travel hybrid but the camera overheated after 5 minutes (!!!) during a basic 4K test at the camera shop.

Even during still shooting I could feel the back of the camera get hot (now a known issue on the X100V).

I'm sort of fearing Fuji is cramming too high specs for their compact bodies, a problem Sony got into around A7R2.

2 hours ago, Django said:

The potential overheating issue is much more of a deal breaker to me. You got a link to that video?

I was set to purchase a X100V as travel hybrid but the camera overheated after 5 minutes (!!!) during a basic 4K test at the camera shop.

Even during still shooting I could feel the back of the camera get hot (now a known issue on the X100V).

I'm sort of fearing Fuji is cramming too high specs for their compact bodies, a problem Sony got into around A7R2.

Luckily we’re dealing with APSC and not FF. 

5 hours ago, Django said:

See the overheating around 8:50. I actually bought the X100V despite the overheating, I'm only using it for photos but it gets really hot as you say. I've got really high hopes for Canon this year but knowing Canon I'm not holding my breath.

15 minutes ago, kaylee said:

in the spirit of togetherness, would somebody pretty please tell me what the key reasons are that ppl are unhappy with the XT4, so I can avoid reading a heap of stuff...? 

From keeping up with the thread myself, I'd say:
1) IBIS, but this is controversial... some are just saying the testers are being unrealistic
2) overheating? (although like the latest video said which raised this "issue", if you flip out the screen then that releases the heat. But he didn't go into how much longer the camera can go if you flip it out always?)

Remember, the X-T4 is still only pre order, wait until it ships and gets into more hands before judging it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 2:13 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Well, have you seen what e-infinity is selling the A7R IV for? £2200.

It is £3500 in the UK shops.

No wonder they have sold a bucket load.

E-infinity isn't a good representative for the market, the pricing is a fluke and they are a niche grey market store.

@Andrew Reid Have you purchased anything from E-Infinity? Is it worth it? Anybody else buy from E-Infinity/grey market?

1 hour ago, Devon said:

@Andrew Reid Have you purchased anything from E-Infinity? Is it worth it? Anybody else buy from E-Infinity/grey market?

Yes, lots to the UK. Have had one problem with a lens which I sent back and got a replacement - this made me feel vulnerable as hell but they came good and all was well in the end. Definitely not the usual brick and motor experience but the savings are worth it IMO.

8 hours ago, Fairkid said:

Yes, lots to the UK. Have had one problem with a lens which I sent back and got a replacement - this made me feel vulnerable as hell but they came good and all was well in the end. Definitely not the usual brick and motor experience but the savings are worth it IMO.

Thank you! Have you purchased any camera bodies grey market?

Haven’t used e-infinity for a while but had zero problems.

Instead, have been buying all my kit new (cheaper than refurbed used prices) from e-global.

Beware one thing though, return is a PITA, at your expense and to China! After I decided not to keep a gimbal, it was better to sell it on eBay...which is what I did.

But if it’s not going to be returned, very good prices though delivery a bit slow. Normally they quote something like 6-8 days but the reality is more like 2-3 weeks, but as long as your need is not urgent, prices are very good.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Haven’t used e-infinity for a while but had zero problems.

Instead, have been buying all my kit new (cheaper than refurbed used prices) from e-global.

Beware one thing though, return is a PITA, at your expense and to China! After I decided not to keep a gimbal, it was better to sell it on eBay...which is what I did.

But if it’s not going to be returned, very good prices though delivery a bit slow. Normally they quote something like 6-8 days but the reality is more like 2-3 weeks, but as long as your need is not urgent, prices are very good.

thanks for the info! Is this what you’re referring to? https://www.eglobalcentral.com

Looks like e-infinity has better prices still. I assume the price fluctuates between the two?

2 hours ago, Devon said:

thanks for the info! Is this what you’re referring to? https://www.eglobalcentral.com

Looks like e-infinity has better prices still. I assume the price fluctuates between the two?

Be careful with grey market, sometimes they're great, sometimes they're pain in the ass.

I ordered a fujinon lens in the end of january from eglobal, but after ofew weeks the lens was still "on it's way", so I reported it to paypal. 1 day before my paypal case got closed (and got my money back) they actually shipped the lens. By that time I have bought another one, so now I'm stuck with two 23mm lenses. 

Not sure about einfinity, but definately avoid eglobal.