Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

@Django If we’re doing the whole anecdotal thing I can safely say I would prefer the Made in China Fuji’s. I had two X-T2s, both brand new, and both wonky, one had the screen misaligned and the other had the faux leather on the grip out of place. They both had a weird smell as well.

I also bought a brand new X100F, made in Japan of course, and the screen in the viewfinder got permanently stuck so I had to get a new copy.

Owned two different X-T3s as well, both felt really well put together and I had zero problems with their functionality, never had them lock up not even once, and they never overheated.

My current made in Japan Nikon Z6 has the card door all out of place with at least two millimeters of play from the body.

And I never buy gray market products, always from a reputable retailer in Sweden.

I have the opposite experience but to each their own, I'm not trying to impose my views.. just stating my preference.

Made in China or Japan I don't care, - zero build or other issues with either XT3 I used all last year and I had no idea where they were made until I just checked the one I have retained and found out China.

Pre-ordered a pair of 'wherever they are assembled' XT4 bodies for this year's wedding season and looking forward to receiving them end of April/early May...or will need to buy a pair of XH1's to tide me over as by then, my season will have started and my sole XT3 won't cut it!

Yeah the XT2 had more issues than the XT3. Could be a firmware thing over actual build quality though(probably I'd think). The XT-4 IBIS looks way way better than the XH-1. Here's hoping they improve it even more. 
The AF is reported worse than the XT3 which I am sure is a firmware thing, so I think the final product will be much different. 

On 2/26/2020 at 1:02 PM, androidlad said:

(Pre-production) X-T4 IBIS exhibits noticeable warping with some lenses:

d95e83bd0b904e3b4c71229d386a5af1f80def06

b31070e3d679044556e1b8bd1c25bac8ac47c156

03ebea21b166c14df28550c34bff35231380a248

Didn't pay attention to the others but Kai definitely has no idea how to hold a camera for a video shot at least in that video review... what a mess! LOL Let alone the dirty allover that beauty... I'm sorry but that way to operate a capture device is simply not acceptable to my standards... : )

Without mention the IBIS itself, which means, what it is, there are distinct modes:

2 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Warping is only when you use electronic stabilization.

Have you seen an example of just IBIS without the electronic stabilization that demonstrates no warping?

The AF issues are a real bummer. I am semi confident fuji will fix it however why the hell didn't they before they went and showed the camera off to every youtuber and their brother. 

7 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Warping is only when you use electronic stabilization.

I don’t know what to think about this X-T4.
Fuji gave us everything they should include in the X-T3, but no true Game changer,
Still some quirks (crop on 4k60, no internal 4.2.2, recording limit, exposure step).

Hope the XH-2 will me more than that.

Warping happens with IBIS only.

Correct. That's exactly what I left well inferred in my post... : ) With camera operation like Kai has shown it will hardly be avoided. There's no auto mode for crappy use. Blame the operator, not the tool in the same way we must congratulate one for a shiniest outcome when occurs ; -)

As far as these guys say, Sony for AF (let alone Canon), Panasonic for IBIS and Fuji for CS. Here's the perfect cam! LOL

In any case, I believe the results will vary accordingly the glass. Time to think to look for slower ones... if that will help. Learn to deal with IBIS follows, like driving a race car ; -)

On 1/22/2020 at 8:14 PM, kaylee said:

hey whats the expected dynamic range for this guy in video?

whats the dr of the xt3? like as a benchline lol, im new to fuji

I think you're going to be looking at about 11 to 12 stops with F-Log--and 10 bit 422.

Fuji now includes an internal LUT for LOG shooting--it's going to make exposing F-Log much better, and make peaking more useful. Personally, I'd shoot Eterna for video except in some extreme situation. The X-T4 looks like state of the art for APS-C cameras---best in class. I LOVED shooting the X-H1--such a wonderful experience--Nikon Z6 too. Both awesome.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

As far as these guys say, Sony for AF (let alone Canon), Panasonic for IBIS and Fuji for CS. Here's the perfect cam! LOL

In any case, I believe the results will vary accordingly the glass. Time to think to look for slower ones... if that will help. Learn to deal with IBIS follows, like driving a race car ; -)

Kacey's tests are RIDICULOUS. Who in their right mind uses a camera like that?

Plus, Gerald and Kacey were shooting on a preproduction model with lenses that probably needed firmware. I think the results of the cameras sent to various reviewers varied--which makes sense. One reviewer hooked up a GH5 and the X-T4 and did a side to side walking test---and the X-T4 acquitted itself extremely well. IMO, the X-T4 did not get a fair review with Gerald and Kacey.

Better to see Jem Scholfield-- or Gordon Lang. Really good jobs, both of them.

The whole 5 pages of this topic is why pre-production models and firmware makes zero sense to me. How am I supposed to get anything from these videos if everything they show is subject to change? How am I supposed to know if the jerky warpy IBIS is just pre-prod firmware or will be there in the camera I can ACTUALLY buy? How can I make a decision about the autofocus performance when everyone says "oh it's just pre-prod firmware it will be improved"? 

All I can get from these videos is that the camera looks nice, but I could also take it from reading a spec sheet and looking at the images online. Everything else isn't representative of what I'll find in the store.

I just want a GH5 with proper autofocus. 

I think the main problem coming from these videos is that 90% are made from photographers that have limited understanding of video work. They think IBIS is a gimbal replacement or some sort of steady cam. It is not. 

If you add to the fact a lot of the footage displaying wobble artefacts are probably using the new EIS feature, well that just adds to the misjudgment of the IBIS.

From the few footage that uses the IBIS correctly, it seems to me that it works really well. Nothing to worry about.

Same thing for AF, even Canons dual pixel AF isn't flawless and won't replace a follow focus.

There is actually technique to maximise a camera's AF sticky rate. Lens choice, lighting can also alter performance.

That's not to say these pre-production cameras don't have issues, but until they ship these videos are just what they are: an early hands-on approach.

1 hour ago, Django said:

I think the main problem coming from these videos is that 90% are made from photographers that have limited understanding of video work. They think IBIS is a gimbal replacement or some sort of steady cam. It is not. 

This is the problem we have with Slog2, VLOG etc. The internet says it's crap but they don't know how to use it properly. 

Very compelled by the X-T4 to use as a general all round purpose cam, but then again, it maybe worth waiting to see how that R5 stacks up. Or a new GH6 for that matter. 

It’s a real mixed bag out there right now regarding reviews, but keep in mind these are really pre-reviews on pre-production firmware.

Same as it ever was.

What this camera boils down to really are two factors;

1: What is your Fuji experience because if this is just the latest in a long line of X camera use, most of it is good. Very good indeed and Fuji being Fuji will have ironed out any initial kinks prior to or soon after availability.

2: What are you going to be using it for? Pure stills camera? Possibly better options out there for you depending on your needs. Pure video camera? Better options are out there. But as a genuine hybrid? This is where it will shine especially how I work.