Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, buggz said:

What?

No way, I'll take my GH5 for video over this everytime.  I use anamorphic and 6k all the time.

I don't see how this is an upgrade from my GH5.

Though, I do have an X-T2 for stills, now maybe for that...

Man.. as an ex GH5 user, I'd go with the XT4 every time, unless I'm using anamorphics.  Bigger sensor, better color, better autofocus.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not to me : )

@Andrew Reid @androidlad I think there's room for a grand and a half in EUR (without taxes) for IBIS, 4K60p @ 400Mbps 10-bit (even though 4:2:0 color sampling is actually a PITA*) to make the buck today, who knows when and where X-H2 will land? There's the rumor not along this year...

*minute 26:33 from an old discussion on DVXUSER:

image.thumb.png.68de8c51a49e10e49f2be9705599d87f.png

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Is the X-T4 the basically an GH5 with larger sensor, but 3 years later?

The X-T4 still misses out on a lot of key advantages of the GH5 which I feel are important:
Proper headphone jack (no need for a USB adapter!)
Seems like better weather sealing (proper weather sealing vs "drip proof")
Waveform monitoring
Full Size HDMI 
Option of using the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 XLR Microphone Adapter

Is this really important David? Seems to you, it is. I don't think it will be for everyone...

To me this is what we take in the end; any of both will do the job even though 4:2:2 is theoretically an advantage to Panny, I like better the Fuji ergonomics as for instance -- let alone nice 240fps to make shallow DOF to shine besides superior CS (have any of you ever shot on B&W with a Fuji camera?) :

6 minutes ago, Django said:

wtf just noticed this:

..different manufacturing depending on color or do you think the made in Japan is pre-sample model only?

I usually always get black version but would go silver if it means MIJ..

Retail X-T4 units are made in more than one country, to the same standard.

2 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Retail X-T4 units are made in more than one country, to the same standard.

When Fuji shifted production from Japan to China on XT3 there were quite a couple lemon units. That wasn't nearly the case with XT2. Quality Control just isn't the same.

Anyways, are you saying XT4 country of origin is random?

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Is this really important David? Seems to you, it is. I don't think it will be for everyone...

I think many people could find a couple of things from that list (I left of so much, such as the big one: Unlimited recording!!) to still prefer the Panasonic GH5

Remember too, the GH5 has been out for a very long time. The GH5 is right at the very end of its life cycle, while the life cycle of the X-T4 hasn't even begun yet. 

So any MFT shooter would be wise to wait and see what happens, if a new GH6 or other MFT camera is coming along. 

3 minutes ago, Django said:

When Fuji shifted production from Japan to China on XT3 there were quite a couple lemon units. That wasn't nearly the case with XT2. Quality Control just isn't the same.

That can't just be said like this. You can have the same level of quality control in any country, it's a question of cost. "Made in China" shouldn't automatically be taken as worse quality than Made in Japan, Germany or the US. If you manufacture in comparable plants to the same specification and the same quality control process, you have the same outcome.

You don't even compare the same product (X-T2 vs X-T3), so you can't expect it to be identical regarding manufacturing issues anyway.

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

I think many people could find a couple of things from that list to still prefer the Panasonic GH5

Remember too, the GH5 has been out for a very long time. The GH5 is right at the very end of its life cycle, while the life cycle of the X-T4 hasn't even begun yet. 

So any MFT shooter would be wise to wait and see what happens, if a new GH6 or other MFT camera is coming along. 

For sure, Panasonic is ahead. And you don't change one system for another because of a camera announcement ; ) But each one have their quirks...

2 minutes ago, Phil A said:

That can't just be said like this. You can have the same level of quality control in any country, it's a question of cost. "Made in China" shouldn't automatically be taken as worse quality than Made in Japan, Germany or the US. If you manufacture in comparable plants to the same specification and the same quality control process, you have the same outcome.

You don't even compare the same product (X-T2 vs X-T3), so you can't expect it to be identical regarding manufacturing issues anyway.

Yeah in theory that should be the case, in reality it simply isn't. Most companies outsource to China for cost & volume ramping and that has significant effect on QC. That's just the way it is.. and XT3 is certainly proof of that. We're talking serious hardware malfunctions, glue smells etc. Never were these problems ever noticed on any MIJ fuji cam.

The Fuji plant in Sendai is also notorious to take QC to an extreme level:

I just don't see that type of infrastructure / QC in China. Besides with coronavirus related production issues, I'd rather not be too dependant on China with my gear at the moment.. 

20 minutes ago, Django said:

That's just your stereotype and bias.

Made in Japan X-Pro 3 had some serious QC issue: https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4465821

Can I jump into conclusion that "made in Japan" has now become complete crap?

X-T4 are made in both China and Japan.

17 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I guess it is safe to infer silver version will be made in Japan... Nice find cowboy ; -)

No.

image.thumb.png.4478c711470e617985d0cc915e1f6d9f.png

Very well, which means your theory is correct or both black and silver can be made either in Japan. Now needs to find a silver one also made in China... LOL

Anyway, what can we know so far? Other than speculating ; ) In any case, I think it's more prejudice or tradition than anything else : ) Both can end fine, that is, if that guy DBounce was not correct... : D

@Django If we’re doing the whole anecdotal thing I can safely say I would prefer the Made in China Fuji’s. I had two X-T2s, both brand new, and both wonky, one had the screen misaligned and the other had the faux leather on the grip out of place. They both had a weird smell as well.

I also bought a brand new X100F, made in Japan of course, and the screen in the viewfinder got permanently stuck so I had to get a new copy.

Owned two different X-T3s as well, both felt really well put together and I had zero problems with their functionality, never had them lock up not even once, and they never overheated.

My current made in Japan Nikon Z6 has the card door all out of place with at least two millimeters of play from the body.

And I never buy gray market products, always from a reputable retailer in Sweden.