Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

X-T3 120fps 1080p is achieved through a horizontal 4832 pixel full readout, and vertical 1:2 binning resulting a 4832 x 1359 bayer, which is then downsampled to 1920 x 1080.

To achieve 240fps without a further crop, a 2:3 vertical subsampling needs to be added before 1:2 binning, resulting a 4832 x 906 bayer.

15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

This is just it, working pros have to make business decisions...

I made a business decision to go with the XH1 as my primary video (weddings) camera in 2018.

Within 6 months or so, the XT3 came out with a far superior video spec.

2019 season meant taking a massive hit on the XH1 to upgrade to XT3.

I fully agree, for all of us who are working professionals means we need to think about the business perspective of any purchase. 

When I buy a Panasonic G85 later this year it will be purely a hobby expenditure, just like buying a set of golf clubs would be, thus the price / benefit / ROI doesn't matter. So long as I like and enjoy it, plus I can afford it. 

While if I buy some $5 pouches to protect my "G3 IEMs" which I hand out to the director/scripty/clients/producer/etc then those are clearly a business purchase for me, and I can easily see a positive ROI from them thanks to their low low cost and the protection and professionalism they'll provide my "G3 IEMs". Thus I purchased these instantly when I first read about them yesterday.

But if I buy a new Lectrosonics SRC, then maaaaybe I can convince (fool?) myself there is a positive ROI somewhere in the loooong term from owning a fourth Lectrosonics SR

While if I was to buy an Aaton Cantar X3 recorder full kit (with Cantaress / Hydra / etc) then I know my ROI is going to negative on that! That isn't a smart business decision. I'd lose less money buying that set of golf clubs instead. 

Now to bring it back to the wedding business, and to stop talking about the sound department, did you get any more clients due to filming with a X-T3 instead of an X-H1? Did any of those clients you did get, did they pay you more because you had a X-T3? Did the X-T3 save you time? (remember, time = money)

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer to all those question is a no.

In fact, just maaaaybe the X-H1 is a superior camera for weddings than a X-T3? As due to the huge amount of footage taken, often 8bit is preferred over 10bit (thus the X-T3's big advantage is negated), and due to the nimble handheld nature of shooting weddings the IBIS exclusive to the X-H1 shines through as a big strength of the X-H1.

Perhaps you could have gone all of 2019 without buying any cameras at all?? Or maybe only a very small purchase.

For instance, hypothetically speaking if you just had only 2x X-H1 but already have a spare Ninja V lying around then there could be a good positive ROI from getting the cheap X-T200 (or X-T30) when they were announced. As the Ninja V unlocks unlimited record times, and a third camera would add a real tangible benefit at a low low cost as a locked off wide to save you in the edit when both the A & B cam gets compromised during a wedding (sometimes just due to bad luck, someone walks across one camera, and from the other camera angle the bride is looking ugly in that moment). Or just simply to improve the edit! To spice it up by cutting to another angle now and then.

Now to bring it back to the wedding business, and to stop talking about the sound department, did you get any more clients due to filming with a X-T3 instead of an X-H1? Did any of those clients you did get, did they pay you more because you had a X-T3? Did the X-T3 save you time? (remember, time = money)

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer to all those question is a no.

In fact, just maaaaybe the X-H1 is a superior camera for weddings than a X-T3? As due to the huge amount of footage taken, often 8bit is preferred over 10bit (thus the X-T3's big advantage is negated), and due to the nimble handheld nature of shooting weddings the IBIS exclusive to the X-H1 shines through as a big strength of the X-H1.

Perhaps you could have gone all of 2019 without buying any cameras at all?? Or maybe only a very small purchase.

Indeed, clients have no idea what anything was shot on, never mind whether it was XH1 or XT3, 1080 or 4k. Rather the switch was more for me. Call it professional pride, call it job satisfaction etc, but that plays a part.

The move to the XT3 did involve an extra step in the workload and that was the conversion of the .265 to prores so my PC could handle it but I gained the ability to punch/crop in much more heavily.

On the other hand, I sped up the process in various other ways so swings and roundabouts...

The downside was the loss of IBIS, though I was still running a 3 camera set up at the time based on 2x stills cameras and 1x video (the XH1 in 2018 and XT3 in 2019) on a freestanding monopod.

For the 2020 season, I am going to reduce that to just 2 bodies and lose the monopod for 90% of the day so the IBIS is a must.

The problem now would be going back to the XH1. Better ergos, no question, but the new battery means no need for a battery grip or external powerpack plus 6x better low-light AF and so the XT3.5 has a pretty big draw over both the XH1 and XT3.

Could I make any of them work? Would anybody notice? Of course and no, but I would and that's an intangible part of being a pro at anything isn't it, - the knowledge that are you doing, 'just enough' or 'giving it your all'?

From that pure business perspective, if I knew for sure that an XH2 was 100% coming in around a year, I would 100% hold off for one year and carry on with XT3 until that time because I know I would want to move to XH2's.

But it's a 'unicorn' at this time and I have to make a decision based on what is available as much as I/we wish Fuji would commit to earlier official announcements.

What I am currently telling myself is that though I would prefer the mythical XH2, I almost certainly will get a pair of XT3.5's and commit to 2 years regardless. And be content with that.

^Agreed. Most of my clients don't have a clue what I'm shooting with. Could I get by with a 5D3? Probably, most of my deliveries are still in FHD. New gear can be inspiring though and the features they bring are useful to me as a DP. 

XT2/XH1 has a 0.2x crop when shooting 4K. So you're really at 1.7x instead of true 1.5x APS-C/Super35 like XT3/XT4 has. 

Again, no client would ever notice that but it does make a difference when composing.

I personally skipped XH1/XT3 coming from an XT2 but will probably pick up an XT4. 

I just love those dials, overall IQ and lack of OLPF on X-Trans sensors.

Nokishita just leaked the full spec sheet.

https://doc-0g-ao-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/5nmdmcnfio76k738otv2dej37qfi8dhb/cmn1pi8n2jhv2u2d7ilm9uajg3ocatts/1582228800000/01433304230180543164/05935394919779228397Z/1iX8rilmgVJwsmYQKF145o3Cu8HJ8A0sR?e=download&nonce=3rpfss69n43fo&user=05935394919779228397Z&hash=enf3917f6e2i3spe7si0rvdr5g359fu0

11 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Looks like the same movie modes (and time limits) of the XT3, with the inclusion of 240fps in full HD, with 3 min time limit.

4k 60p can now be shot in DCI 4K at 400mbps vs previously only ultra HD at 200mbps 

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

4k 60p can now be shot in DCI 4K at 400mbps vs previously only ultra HD at 200mbps 

DCI 4K 60P is already available on X-T3. And 400Mbps is for All-Intra only up to 30P.

It's the formatting that's confusing.

The only change is the addition of FHD 240/200P, the rest is exactly the same as X-T3.

2 minutes ago, androidlad said:

DCI 4K 60P is already available on X-T3. And 400Mbps is for All-Intra only up to 30P.

It's the formatting that's confusing.

The only change is the addition of FHD 240/200P, the rest is exactly the same as X-T3.

DCI 4K 60p is greyed out on my XT3 and I have the latest firmware.