Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

On 2/16/2020 at 9:42 PM, wolf33d said:

probably the same AF has me not excited. I mean, hard to be after the R5 development announcement. 

Are people not happy with the focusing system of the X-T3? Maybe not dual-pixel AF, but easily as good as Sony’s implementation on their cameras, no?

I wouldn’t hold my breathe on the R5 just yet, I know everyone is losing their shit over the potential of it (and rightly so if it turns out to be as good as it sounds) but never underestimate Canon’s ability to really screw things up, especially when something is suddenly leap-frogging all their current hardware; I’m interested to see what their version of 8K actually entails, or the quality of their IBIS. Or, at least, the price! Assuming that rumored €9999 price is wrong, but we’ll see. If correct, it shouldn’t be in the same conversation as a $1700 X-T4.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Certainly, however the fact XT4 uses same sensor, processor, video resolution, codec, AF etc.. makes it feel rather incremental than next-level (like the jump from XT1 to XT2 to XT3). The main enhancements are basically hardware (IBIS, flip screen, battery). It's cool, I might even get one; but its understandable others may be underwhelmed..

I am pumped for this camera. IBIS + a bigger battery were definitely the two biggest reasons I was holding on to my GH5 as my take anywhere, traveling video production camera. But Fuji strikes the perfect balance of small, compact, lightweight (lenses especially), high-quality, large sensor, great image, great color, good AF, etc etc. Full-frame is great, but lenses do get big and expensive FAST. And MFT suffers from low light performance and not good AF - and the high-end lenses are more expensive than the Fujis. 

Not to mention the Fujis are much better photography cameras.

Love the XT3, but the lack of IBIS and dismal battery life always held me back. Looks like both of those are fixed. Can't wait to sang the XT4 as my travel, small production video camera. Hope it gets true 10-bit 422 (rather than 420) and some sort of 4k 120fps burst mode. 

6 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

More infos from Fuji Rumors:

-No Pixel-shift yet.

-USB PD protocol implemented, as it charged very quickly with a PD 30W USB-C charger. Not so fast with a normal QC charger.

-IBIS can go up to 6.5 stops with some of the prime lenses.

-Priced at 1700 USD.

-Multiple Boost modes including normal / economy / boost AF / boost FPS / boost Res etc.

Wondering about the meanings of boost modes: boost AF - boost Res

I think Fuji is smart to hold off on the X-H2 and put out this "evolutionary" XT4 as a stopgap. One of the problems with the X-H1 was that it just inherited old sensor and processor tech from the X-T2 and put it into a better body.  So it was a little underwhelming from the start and easily upstaged when the XT3 came out little more than a year later with X-Trans 4 and X-Processor 4.

Rather than repeat the same mistake, they're putting out the X-T4 with IBIS and new battery giving X-H1 owners a viable upgrade path (imperfect as the ergonomics are) while buying themselves enough time (maybe six months to a year) to perfect a new X-Trans 5 sensor and X-Processor 5 for the X-H2, which will establish it as the true flagship. All models after that will inherent tech from the X-H2, including the X-T5, rather than the other way around. 

Will they lose some customers along the way? Maybe, but it will pale in comparison to what they will gain with the revolution of X-Trans 5 and the rebirth of the X-H.

8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The XH2 will still come. 

I still believe Fuji has too many different lines of cameras to support in a declining market (plus a recession will hit soon, making it even harder to support too many lines of cameras), thus they need to kill off at least one camera line. The X-H series is the most likely one on the chopping block. (just wish the X-T series had a top LCD!)

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I still believe Fuji has too many different lines of cameras to support in a declining market (plus a recession will hit soon, making it even harder to support too many lines of cameras), thus they need to kill off at least one camera line. The X-H series is the most likely one on the chopping block. (just wish the X-T series had a top LCD!)

I kind of agree, or at least they need to differentiate their cameras better. To me the XT line is out of place. Fuji already has smaller cameras for those who like that. The XH line should be for video people and people who like bulky cameras. 

Since the XT3 and XT4 are so good, they should just go all out with the X-H2 and make it first and foremost a video camera. Make it an XC-15 style camera (or a smaller C100), with modular XLR adapter,  internal NDs, all the video codecs, timecode, etc etc - plus the things people don't believe belong in a cinema camera - like IBIS. 

Go right up against the lower end ($2,500 - $4,000) cinema lineup that Sony, Canon, and Panasonic have abandoned (other than the S1H, which is still a hybrid mirrorless photo camera). 

Finally give the X-Mount a reason for their beautiful X-Mount cinema zooms and great mini primes. Make the ultimate doc/journalist/one-man-band camera. 

21 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Since the XT3 and XT4 are so good, they should just go all out with the X-H2 and make it first and foremost a video camera. 

Problem is the XH line is primarily aimed at professional stills photographers like sports shooters, hence the improved ergonomics over the XT line. What you're describing would be a different product line altogether--and while I want them to make that cinema camera too, it's just not what I think the X-H2 will ever be.

1 minute ago, JR Lipartito said:

Problem is the XH line is primarily aimed at professional stills photographers like sports shooters, hence the improved ergonomics over the XT line. What you're describing would be a different product line altogether--and while I want them to make that cinema camera too, it's just not what I think the X-H2 will ever be.

I usually like the cine cam bodies better but if they could really pull off a smaller camera that had everything you'd need for example a bright 1000nit screen 5", good IBIS, good battery life, internal ND's(electronic?), with XT3 specs you'd have a winner. The issue with DSLR type bodies is they usually need to be kitted out making them awkward. If they can actually do all that I listed though you wouldn't need to kit it out. Ultimate run and gun rig. 

2 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

Not necessarily. Look at a9 - super sports camera that just lacks some bells and whistles of cine body like log etc.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

The XH is a Hybrid line, hence the H! More of a GH5-type camera than something aimed predominantly at stills shooters. Yes the ergonomics are improved over the XT line, so it's frustrating to see two years pass, two big video-related improvements to the XT line but nothing for the XH line as if it has been scrapped due to internal Fuji politics or something. They should really set the record straight and tell us if one is coming or not. I'll be holding off my X-T4 purchase until I know if there will be an X-H2!

This is just it, working pros have to make business decisions...

I made a business decision to go with the XH1 as my primary video (weddings) camera in 2018.

Within 6 months or so, the XT3 came out with a far superior video spec.

2019 season meant taking a massive hit on the XH1 to upgrade to XT3.

Ditto it’s going to happen if I go XT4 for this year.

I really don’t want these 1 year life cycles (and yes, no one is forcing me), but it’s this situation now of going with XT4’s for this season with the knowledge the camera I really want (XH2) may come out next year. Or not...because Fuji ain’t saying.

On the plus side, the XH1 was good for me in 2018 and the XT3 in 2019. The latter may still be this year, but the XT3.5 ticks so many more boxes for me. Well the IBIS box and bigger battery without resorting to battery grip boxes, so is pretty much a dead cert.

But I am going to be peeved if they announce an XH2 at some point.

Ultimately, as a business, I just have to make the best decision(s) I can at any given time.

I personally dont have a problem with owning 2 cameras so if XH2 with better video specs will come out I will probably get it along XT4 and use both. For now XT4 should suffice my needs but I am still waiting for those final specs specially a WDR mode with 13.5 DR stops Androidlad was talking about. Really hope to see it. 

14 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

I personally dont have a problem with owning 2 cameras so if XH2 with better video specs will come out I will probably get it along XT4 and use both. For now XT4 should suffice my needs but I am still waiting for those final specs specially a WDR mode with 13.5 DR stops Androidlad was talking about. Really hope to see it. 

The extra DR would be the big spec that would really push the XT4 into a big upgrade category. Though, even with the same IQ as the XT3, IBIS and 2x battery life are already huge upgrades in my opinion. 

also, not a huge deal to sell a used camera for 70% of its new price after using it for a year to upgrade. Might “lose” $500 or so, but seems like you could easily build that into your pro work rates over the course of a year. Now, if I wasn’t getting paid for any of my video or photo work, I wouldn’t upgrade more than every 4-5 years.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The XH is a Hybrid line, hence the H! More of a GH5-type camera than something aimed predominantly at stills shooters. Yes the ergonomics are improved over the XT line, so it's frustrating to see two years pass, two big video-related improvements to the XT line but nothing for the XH line as if it has been scrapped due to internal Fuji politics or something. They should really set the record straight and tell us if one is coming or not. I'll be holding off my X-T4 purchase until I know if there will be an X-H2!

I seem to remember Fuji reps always sidestepping the H=Hybrid question and saying that it actually meant "High Performance". Then they would always bring up what a good match the body was for bigger telephoto lenses and sports shooting with its boost mode. So I wouldn't really expect an X-H2 to be all about the video specs. But yeah, I get the frustration, it was their first really serious hybrid camera until the X-T3 came along and stole it's thunder. But it would add insult to injury if the X-H2 were just an X-T3 with better ergonomics and IBIS, only to be upstaged again by a later X-T4 with IBIS and X-Trans 5 sensor. The X-H line should be the one that debuts their new sensors from now on.