Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

The XT3 wasn’t great at heat dissipation even with a smaller sensor at 4K, so unless Fuji has not only improved heat management  but also surpassed Panasonic in just 1.5 years, then I don’t see 6K 60p working very well on this camera.

I never had heat issues with my X-T3 at 4K, is this a known issue?

Just now, Brian Williams said:

I never had heat issues with my X-T3 at 4K, is this a known issue?

I have the same questions. I've used my T3 on a couple of multi-hour shoots without any overheating problems. This was at 4k 24, so maybe 60p would be different. But since most of us shoot to a 24p base timeline, we only use 60p for be-roll and thus takes are much shorter, thus lessening the potential for overheating issues.

2 hours ago, EphraimP said:

I have the same questions. I've used my T3 on a couple of multi-hour shoots without any overheating problems. This was at 4k 24, so maybe 60p would be different. But since most of us shoot to a 24p base timeline, we only use 60p for be-roll and thus takes are much shorter, thus lessening the potential for overheating issues.

I didn't say it was a major issue I just said it wasn't great, and will add that's compared to pretty much every Panasonic camera ever. If you're stopping/starting a lot throughout a multi-hour shoot at moderate temperatures (as most people do) the X-T3 doesn't have a problem at all. But if you have more extreme needs, it's not perfectly reliable like a GH5 or S1/S1H.

I've had my X-T3 overheat when shooting continuously @24p for about two hours (only stopping/starting when the limit ran out and to change batteries). It consistently needed a cool down after that much time. I also had occasional issues shooting half-hour long takes on a project in Bali (and fortunately kept a GH5 on hand to fall back on when it did). Again, these are fairly extreme cases, but I mention it as a negative because coming from the GH5 I was disappointed to even have to think about overheating at all. 

I've yet to subject my S1H to the same extremes @6K, and sure the sensor size difference between APS-C and Full Frame will help. But my point is that if the X-T3 couldn't handle those extremes @4K 24p, then an X-T4 with reliable performance @6K 60p feels like a stretch without some hidden caveats. 

I'm not saying Fuji can't do it. I'm just keeping that 8K pinch of salt on hand! 

1 hour ago, JR Lipartito said:

I didn't say it was a major issue I just said it wasn't great, and will add that's compared to pretty much every Panasonic camera ever. If you're stopping/starting a lot throughout a multi-hour shoot at moderate temperatures (as most people do) the X-T3 doesn't have a problem at all. But if you have more extreme needs, it's not perfectly reliable like a GH5 or S1/S1H.

I've had my X-T3 overheat when shooting continuously @24p for about two hours (only stopping/starting when the limit ran out and to change batteries). It consistently needed a cool down after that much time. I also had occasional issues shooting half-hour long takes on a project in Bali (and fortunately kept a GH5 on hand to fall back on when it did). Again, these are fairly extreme cases, but I mention it as a negative because coming from the GH5 I was disappointed to even have to think about overheating at all. 

I've yet to subject my S1H to the same extremes @6K, and sure the sensor size difference between APS-C and Full Frame will help. But my point is that if the X-T3 couldn't handle those extremes @4K 24p, then an X-T4 with reliable performance @6K 60p feels like a stretch without some hidden caveats. 

I'm not saying Fuji can't do it. I'm just keeping that 8K pinch of salt on hand! 

Interesting. I've run mine for more than 4 hours straight at a concert off of a v-mount without problem, as well as various other long shoots without heat issues.

5 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Interesting. I've run mine for more than 4 hours straight at a concert off of a v-mount without problem, as well as various other long shoots without heat issues.

Running it off a V-Mount helps. The internal battery contributes to the heat. 

You can just google “X-T3 overheating” and you’ll find no shortage of reports of similar or worse issues than mine. 

3 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

Hmm. I wonder is that’s a quality check issue with some cameras. 

i live in Miami and usually have to shoot outdoors. I also have a wedding company in which we use multiple XT3’s without issue. Hopefully the next model fixes any issues. 

30 minutes ago, chadandreo said:

Hmm. I wonder is that’s a quality check issue with some cameras. 

Could be! There's also a lot of variables at work including environment and shooting style, so people having very different experiences is not unusual. I'm certainly not saying the X-T3 is as bad as a Sony, which is going to overheat on you like clockwork no matter what. Fujifilm's track record with heat is just not as flawless as Panasonic, who still decided 6K would require a fan and at only 24p. I just want to see how it works before I get too excited.

1 hour ago, Carz said:

The X100V was just released. It has a 4 stop nd filter built in. It seems to not work in video for some reason. But why not add this into the X-T4 and blow everyone away? 

Panasonic said to add an ND filter to the S1H they would have had to do away with the mechanical shutter, and I don't think Fujifilm will be willing to do that on the XT line. I think the X100 line can fit an ND because there's no interchangeable mount in the way. We probably won't see ND filters in mirrorless cameras until they all give up mechanical shutters for e-shutters, which might be possible once global shutters become the mainstream.

43 minutes ago, JR Lipartito said:

Panasonic said to add an ND filter to the S1H they would have had to do away with the mechanical shutter, and I don't think Fujifilm will be willing to do that on the XT line.

However a GHxS or SxH series from Panasonic totally should do away with the mechanical shutter and have a multi stage ND filter instead 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

However a GHxS or SxH series from Panasonic totally should do away with the mechanical shutter and have a multi stage ND filter instead 

It’s funny, because every review I read of the Sigma FP, they always marked it as a negative that it “only” had an electronic shutter, for a camera clearly geared towards video.

Dinosaurs roaming amongst us I suppose.

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Unfortunately, that would affect photo quality,  substantially. Especially with fast moving subjects and mixed lighting.

For video it won't make any difference.