Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

54 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Kind of. The real supporters of the m4/3 format are Panasonic and Olympus - all the others (Blackmagic included) are very niche.

From Panasonic, I clearly see a GH6 on the horizon, but not much more - there are rumors of a GX10, but as a minor update. Olympus just repackaged the E-M1 II in a smaller body to make the E-M5 MK III, and rumors says that the same sensor will be used for the E-M1 MK III.

M4/3 evolution is dependant nowadays on Sony to evolve on sensors. Olympus is struggling financially to evolve their platforms (if the E-M1 MK III still use the same chipset, will be a VERY  bad sign). Panasonic could repurpose the tech developed for the L cameras to m4/3, but don't see much intention to do it - everyone (except Fuji) is pushing full frame, better margins on bodies and (especially) lenses.

As I said, I love my m4/3 gear, it fullfills almost all that I need (except low light - my dream camera is a proper GX body with IBIS and the GH5s internals). And I think that m4/3 will be a viable format for video for a good amount of time - but maybe not for stills, where the sales volumes are. And don't want to end with a bunch of bodies and lenses with very deprecated values in a phase out, like was with 4/3 users.

And Fuji is doing a lot of things right. Have bodies and lenses with the same or a little more size and weight than m4/3 (for people, like me, that likes compact gear). In two generations jumped from some of the worst video tech for some of the best. Is (maybe) the only manufacturer that their bodies frequently surpasses expectations in specifications. Their prices are competitive. IBIS was the last barrier for me (I use a lot of vintage lenses), maybe they will be my future.

Very similar thoughts here. MFT needs some series news sensor tech to stay relevant and the only major sensor player (Sony) doesnt seem to care much. Fuji is doing a lot of things right lately. I just want to see GH6 and A7SIII specs but mostly will get either XT4 or GH6 (only if it has PDAF - that's a must have condition). XT4 seems to be a very good option either way. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

From Panasonic, I clearly see a GH6 on the horizon, but not much more - there are rumors of a GX10, but as a minor update.

If the GH6 is the same leap forward as the GH5 itself was, then the GH6 will stay relevant for a very long time!

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The real supporters of the m4/3 format are Panasonic and Olympus - all the others (Blackmagic included) are very niche.

Yes, they're very niche, but they've also been amazing in bringing out products perfectly suited for many us filmmakers. Shouldn't be discounted, and instead regarded as a big positive about the system! 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

If the GH6 is the same leap forward as the GH5 itself was, then the GH6 will stay relevant for a very long time!

Yes, they're very niche, but they've also been amazing in bringing out products perfectly suited for many us filmmakers. Shouldn't be discounted, and instead regarded as a big positive about the system! 

Yes, as I said, I think that MFT will be relevant in movie circles for some time. But in the stills arena, where the volume exists, could happen a phase out - and MFT became kind of a PL mount, only used in niches.

Meanwhile Sony still struggle to put 4K60P on their mirrorless cam.

Things not looking good for Sony video shooter and Sony sensor business as well now that Samsung gonna take the phone sensor crown over Sony with their 2nd gen 108MP sensor on S20 ultra and 8K capable 64MP on S20

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Meanwhile Sony still struggle to put 4K60P on their mirrorless cam.

Things not looking good for Sony video shooter and Sony sensor business as well now that Samsung gonna take the phone sensor crown over Sony with their 2nd gen 108MP sensor on S20 ultra and 8K capable 64MP on S20

But everyone (Panasonic/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus) is still buying their sensors from Sony, yeah? Have any of them switched over to Samsung? I have a feeling Sony sensor business is doing quite well still.

9 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

But everyone (Panasonic/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus) is still buying their sensors from Sony, yeah? Have any of them switched over to Samsung? I have a feeling Sony sensor business is doing quite well still.

The problem is not with Sonys sensor manufacturing department, but their imaging department. Just look at the Panasonic S1, S1H as well as the Nikon Z6 or the Sigma FP. They use Sony sensors and can do a lot of things Sony cameras can't. 4K60p, 10bit or ProRes RAW. 

I think Sony Imaging is clinging to their Bionz X, which I guess is the problem in their video department. 

20 hours ago, Carz said:

Sounds like this is going to have a fully articulating screen. Fuji is going for the jugular. 

Not clear if it will be a full tilt (GH5 like) or a flip/tilt (like the S1H). Hope the S1H design, or at least the XT100 design (and that was the cause that they abandoned it in the XT200).

You please still shooters (which prefer tilt only LCDs) and movie shooters.

Regarding 6K 60p, I haven’t seen anyone talking about the elephant in the room—HEAT. The S1H’s fan is what enables it to shoot 6K 24p/5.9K 30p continuously. The XT3 wasn’t great at heat dissipation even with a smaller sensor at 4K, so unless Fuji has not only improved heat management  but also surpassed Panasonic in just 1.5 years, then I don’t see 6K 60p working very well on this camera.

I would expect this mode to have severe limitations, if it exists at all. For example, very short recording time limit, no IBIS/Autofocus, etc...

On 1/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, Amazeballs said:

Very similar thoughts here. MFT needs some series news sensor tech to stay relevant and the only major sensor player (Sony) doesnt seem to care much. Fuji is doing a lot of things right lately. I just want to see GH6 and A7SIII specs but mostly will get either XT4 or GH6 (only if it has PDAF - that's a must have condition). XT4 seems to be a very good option either way. 

I think (from my humble opinion) that MTF would probably end like 1 inch sensors. Who is now making cameras with 1 inch sensors? Lower end point and shoot cameras and lower end camcorders. Or the phones.

With the progress in technology, be it in the form of computing power of processors, better heat management, nanotechnology allowing more "working stuff" to be put in the sensor chipset, etc, I think Darwin evolution with the help of the marketing guys will allow bigger sensors to take the place of smaller sensors. Unless the smaller sensors will offer something still hard to have otherwise, like, I can suggest, time of flight AF, faster readout, full color photosites or God knows what else.

With 2019 technology, it is easy to have basic raw video in a camera with also a big sensor in the 2000-4000 euro range (S1h, Blackmagic P4k and P6k, Z6, ecc.)

7 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

Regarding 6K 60p, I haven’t seen anyone talking about the elephant in the room—HEAT. The S1H’s fan is what enables it to shoot 6K 24p/5.9K 30p continuously. The XT3 wasn’t great at heat dissipation even with a smaller sensor at 4K, so unless Fuji has not only improved heat management  but also surpassed Panasonic in just 1.5 years, then I don’t see 6K 60p working very well on this camera.

I would expect this mode to have severe limitations, if it exists at all. For example, very short recording time limit, no IBIS/Autofocus, etc...

I think sensor size plays a big role in that area. S35/APSC seems like a great medium