Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, chadandreo said:

The battery life isn’t the best, but you can get 400 shots per a battery and with the battery grip or a portable is usb-c battery, i can film a 10 hour wedding without issue. 

I think this is the first time anyone has said the Fuji IQ is laughable, especially when it comes to color science. Maybe you need to tweak your settings or picture profile?

i stopped using my 1DX II because of the XT3s photo and video quality. 

I get 1000+ shots out of a single battery stills only shooting raw + Jpeg every wedding. Easily. 1000-1500. And before anyone cries "balls", week in, week out. It mostly depends how you have the thing set up and how you use it...

But the XT3 absolutely chews through batteries for 4k video no question and even with a battery grip, ie, 3 batteries in total, I need to swap out at least the 2 in the grip to get through a typical 9-12 hour day.

However, I prefer the Anker power bank / USB option and have that attached to my monopod and with that system in place, can easily shoot (video) on a single internal battery (ie no grip) 9-12 hour day.

Neither solution is ideal which is why I welcome the XT4 with IBIS and supposedly better battery. The only two things I am really interested in.

Hard to design lenses with big focus throws for manual focus AND quick autofocus as those are kinda different goals? That's why cinema and stills lenses are different?

Also you'd be certain to lose the ability to swap lens mounts, which is a pity, as that is one of the best features of the MK Zoom lenses. (and is what would allow you to use them for 10+ years of your career! Across many different camera bodies)

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

LX100 II was a bit disappointing for video wasn't it... Definitely needs a proper update next time

I loved the original LX100.  Other than the non-tilt screen, weak viewfinder, only so-so stabilisation, and some weird colours sometime (like lips and other reds), the LX-100 original was a fantastic pocketable video and photo camera.  Still one of my favourites along with the original OMD E-M5.

They fixed a lot of the LX100 problems above with the GX80, however the IBIS and viewfinder on the GX80 are still not the best.  I travelled through Malaysia last spring with a GX80 and the Panasonic 15mm + 45-175 zoom, and after I wished I would have brought my GH5 with me.  Especially for the zoom work, too much wobble.  I have used the 100-400 on my GH5 to film sailing from shore and snowboarding at the olympics and it was magic-stable.

I'm not a pro, so I would sell a lot of my M43 gear for GH5 features in an LX100iii.

Sorry for the Panasonic diversion.  I've always been a bit curious of Fuji cameras so looking forward to what comes with the X-T4.  Probably a larger camera than I want to carry though.  Can't wait until you guys get your hands on it.

6 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Interesting, the X-T3 with 10bit All-Intra beats the A7iii. Wasn’t someone just saying it was the other way around, and laughably at that?

Not trying to take anything away from the dynamic range of the X-T3 (and even the X-T2), but doesn't the chart you posted reference the a7S II and not the a7 III?

Do you have a chart that features the DR of the a7 III?

And while I trust the lab results of the Cinema 5D, they should also be pointed out that they are still lab results. One of the factors that affect dynamic range performance in the lab results is the amount of noise in the shadows. In the real world, SLOG 2 and SLOG 3 are almost always over-exposed by 1.5 stops or so, and because of the way those codecs handle highlights, they can be brought down in post and still retain detail (yes, there is potential banding).

I don't know if that is the same for F-LOG or not. When I was thinking of buying an X-T3 a while back, people generally advised NOT to overexpose F Log by more than half a stop. 

I've searched around and haven't ever seen a "real world" comparison of DR between F Log on the X-T3 with S LOG 2 of the Sony a7 III where different over- / under-exposure values are used to try and squeeze as much DR as possible out of their codecs. I've had a play with some F Log footage from an X-T3 that was sent to me by various owners and to be honest, the DR looked to be slightly less than what I could get out of my a6500 shooting in S Log 2. Could be operator error though so hardly scientific. 

And for anyone who cares, I bought a Panasonic S1 for the dynamic range in 10-bit 4:2:2 30fps, so I am not just trying to "defend" Sony. 

Also, I hope - and expect - that the X-T4 will be an amazing camera.

34 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Not trying to take anything away from the dynamic range of the X-T3 (and even the X-T2), but doesn't the chart you posted reference the a7S II and not the a7 III?

Do you have a chart that features the DR of the a7 III?

And while I trust the lab results of the Cinema 5D, they should also be pointed out that they are still lab results. One of the factors that affect dynamic range performance in the lab results is the amount of noise in the shadows. In the real world, SLOG 2 and SLOG 3 are almost always over-exposed by 1.5 stops or so, and because of the way those codecs handle highlights, they can be brought down in post and still retain detail (yes, there is potential banding).

I don't know if that is the same for F-LOG or not. When I was thinking of buying an X-T3 a while back, people generally advised NOT to overexpose F Log by more than half a stop. 

I've searched around and haven't ever seen a "real world" comparison of DR between F Log on the X-T3 with S LOG 2 of the Sony a7 III where different over- / under-exposure values are used to try and squeeze as much DR as possible out of their codecs. I've had a play with some F Log footage from an X-T3 that was sent to me by various owners and to be honest, the DR looked to be slightly less than what I could get out of my a6500 shooting in S Log 2. Could be operator error though so hardly scientific. 

And for anyone who cares, I bought a Panasonic S1 for the dynamic range in 10-bit 4:2:2 30fps, so I am not just trying to "defend" Sony. 

Also, I hope - and expect - that the X-T4 will be an amazing camera.

The A73 has more dynamic range then the XT3, though of course there are potential banding and color issues as well as noise reduction issues. The S1 has more dynamic range than both cameras and of course has the internal 10 bit recording the Sony lacks. 

The XT3 dynamic range is still really good. Seeing as I light most of my scenes its never really an issue. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Hard to design lenses with big focus throws for manual focus AND quick autofocus as those are kinda different goals? That's why cinema and stills lenses are different?

Also you'd be certain to lose the ability to swap lens mounts, which is a pity, as that is one of the best features of the MK Zoom lenses. (and is what would allow you to use them for 10+ years of your career! Across many different camera bodies)

Yes, but I am also going to have a pair of XT4’s forevvvvvvvvvver 😀

Self-reality check, OK that isn’t realistic but being serious, if this XT4 is what I think it will be, it won’t be some kind of holy grail, but something that ticks all my boxes which is something no Fuji (or camera) has done to date.

And my requirements are not high but as I may have mentioned before, XT3 spec with IBIS.

Unless absolutely forced to update for some reason in a few years, I will be golden.

Re. the MK’s, even if AF, I probably would not for my run & gun hybrid photo/video work.

39 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The A73 has more dynamic range then the XT3, though of course there are potential banding and color issues as well as noise reduction issues. The S1 has more dynamic range than both cameras and of course has the internal 10 bit recording the Sony lacks. 

The XT3 dynamic range is still really good. Seeing as I light most of my scenes its never really an issue. 

Yeah, exactly. 

The X-T3 is the "better" camera for most situations when compared to the a7 III. 

Just in those cases that I personally find myself in, where dynamic range is paramount, then the a7 III would have been better.

So I figured just get the S1 (which is, BTW, a really cool camera, but man is it HEAVY!!! Makes my old D750 and DSLR lenses seem light.)

9 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

And my requirements are not high but as I may have mentioned before, XT3 spec with IBIS.

Well... with the X-T4 release, maybe pick up another X-T3 body at a good price used and get a gimbal???

As you can probably tell, I have no idea of what your workflow is like on site, so I my suggestion is probably as useless as can be. That hasn't ever stopped me in the past :)

On 1/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It ranks the most popular USED cameras as well:

1st place: Sony α7R III 
2nd place: Sony α7 III 
3rd place: Sony α7 II 
4th: Sony α7R II 
5th place: Nikon D500 
6th: Fujifilm X-T3 
7th place: Sony α6400 
8th: Canon EOS 7D Mark II 

I've just had a look on e-infinity's eight best sellers and there are four Sony full frame cameras, a Canon and a Nikon DSLR, a Tamron lens with Sony mount and a Sony GM lens. No APS-C cameras at all, not anything from Fuji, nothing from Panasonic. The Sony E-mount ecosystem is so versatile and excellent that Fuji cannot compete in this arena, at least not today. APS-C? Come-on, who wants to buy APS-C when full-frame cameras are abundantly available: Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sigma, Sony. Fuji made a big mistake not jumping on the FF band-wagon in-time. Fuji is esoteria, honestly, when thinking in a system. Sigma and Tamron are churning out brilliant and affordable lenses for E-mount. Even if the rumored X-T4 was going to be technically that great, it wouldn't guarantee business success. Samsung NX1 is a nice example. Samsung should have been the first maker of a FF mirrorless camera, instead Samsung was just wasting its resources on APS-C, and eventually closed the division. Fuji is kept alive by the gigantic amount of cash coming from Instax, I am an Instax film user me myself, too. Buying Instax film I help Fuji to maintain its digital division, too.

7 minutes ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

I've just had a look on e-infinity's eight best sellers

Well, e-infinity is a grey market site.. I wouldn't really consider it as a good indicator of best selling cameras. IMHO, it rather shows which users tend to support tax evasions and other trickery only to save a couple of bucks..

Taking a look at B&H mirrorless top sellers clearly shows that Sony is doing good, but so is Canon, Nikon (!) and Fuji.
What's more, FF cameras are as popular as their smaller APS-C brothers. Or the other way around.

APS-C was pronounced dead many times, but it's still rocking on. And I hope it will for a long, long time.

• Administrators

Well, have you seen what e-infinity is selling the A7R IV for? £2200.

It is £3500 in the UK shops.

No wonder they have sold a bucket load.

E-infinity isn't a good representative for the market, the pricing is a fluke and they are a niche grey market store.

6 hours ago, heart0less said:

Taking a look at B&H mirrorless top sellers clearly shows that Sony is doing good, but so is Canon, Nikon (!) and Fuji.

I wouldn't take that listing as the holy gospel word, B&H might massage those results to be biased towards ones which have the best margin for themselves?

Ok, I'll take off my tin foil hat now

Last year Sony had a education promotion with 30% off, including A7RIV and A9. So the final price was around $2449. 
As a european, paying 4000€ ($4410) for the same item feels wrong, even considering the price includes taxes. 

Personally I don't care about statistics or talk from resellers. As spiffs seem to be getting more common, his interest might not be the same as mine. 

To get back to the X-T4: really looking forward to it, the X-T3 was great, but there were a few things that could be better.