Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

While Sony had been aggressive in their marketing, I don't really think it is accurate to say "upgrading and selling every 6-12 months." If so, we would be on the a7S V by now.

Yes, there was a case when the a6500 was released about 8 months after the a6300, but that was - as far as I understand - due to the release of the a6300 release being pushed back because of flooding at the factories in Thailand. 

Also in that instance, the a6500 was not an update or a replacement, but viewed by Sony as a higher end model than the a6300. So unlike how the a7 II was and update of the a7, and the a7 III was an update of the a7 II, the a6500 was meant to sell at a higher price point than the a6300 and for both lines to sell continuously at different price tiers.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from Sony keeping their older cameras around for a long time. For instance, a6000, a6300, and a6500 are all still for sale, despite the release of the a6100, a6400 and a6600.

But yes, it was the plan of Sony to be a "disruptor" because Canon and Nikon were so entrenched as the market leaders - and because Sony A Mount sales were so bad - that they had to be innovative and productive in their camera releases.

BTW: In case ANYONE is wondering, no, I am not advocating Sony cameras (or ANY brand of camera) to anyone.  I have a hard enough time trying to figure out which camera is right for ME, let alone someone else :)

hehe all true - just having a bit of fun at Sony's expense. Seems like a lot of A7sII users went to A7III though. And A7rII > A7rIII > A7rIV was pretty quick as well. Same with all the a6000-bodies coming out all the time. Not really sure which models are replacing which models,  but it's a bit convoluted in there. 

I sold my Sigma FP last month after deciding to go back to the one I missed the most, the X-T3, found one used for $800. Fast forward a few weeks later and the first X-T4 rumors pop up, have to turn around and sell that 3. Not, mind you, because I need the latest and greatest (clearly I don’t since I went back to a year-and-a-half old camera), but an X-T3 with IBIS (let alone maybe higher resolution) is too good to pass up and what I’ve been longing for since the X-T3 first came out. Fingers crossed that Feb 4 is the day 🤞🏻

I have used during two weeks of shooting in a recent Asia trip the XT3 and Sony A7III. 

The XT3 was a massive disappointment. 
I had to use 4 batteries in a day where I used 1 for the Sony. The grip was awful. The AF was much worst than I anticipated.  The lack of IBIS ruined some footages and the stills we took at the same time same place are laughable versus the Sony.

I am much more interested to see what the A7SIII and Canon bring at this point 

• Administrators

I partially agree but this is why I liked the X-H1. Good battery life, big grip, good AF and exceptional IBIS.

If Fuji can successfully marry the two together, they have a major winner

AF needs to be a bit more bullet proof but it's still pretty good... depending on the lens. Some of the X lenses use whirry old focus motors and heavy moving front element.

16 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I have used during two weeks of shooting in a recent Asia trip the XT3 and Sony A7III. 

The XT3 was a massive disappointment. 
I had to use 4 batteries in a day where I used 1 for the Sony. The grip was awful. The AF was much worst than I anticipated.  The lack of IBIS ruined some footages and the stills we took at the same time same place are laughable versus the Sony.

I am much more interested to see what the A7SIII and Canon bring at this point 

The battery life isn’t the best, but you can get 400 shots per a battery and with the battery grip or a portable is usb-c battery, i can film a 10 hour wedding without issue. 

I think this is the first time anyone has said the Fuji IQ is laughable, especially when it comes to color science. Maybe you need to tweak your settings or picture profile?

i stopped using my 1DX II because of the XT3s photo and video quality. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I partially agree but this is why I liked the X-H1. Good battery life, big grip, good AF and exceptional IBIS.

If Fuji can successfully marry the two together, they have a major winner

AF needs to be a bit more bullet proof but it's still pretty good... depending on the lens. Some of the X lenses use whirry old focus motors and heavy moving front element.

Definitely my experience was based on XT3 and not XH line or future XT4. For sure if it really has better battery life, grip and so on it could be a great package.

I guess I just made a focus on a few aspects during the 2 weeks of travel but they frustrated me very much and had a better experience on the Sony. now reviewing the footage I have more keeper on the Sony due to AF, IBIS and not missing key moments with battery issues. 

Also I have to be honest, now I want to stick to FF. There used to be a time Where you could only find good video specs at a good price and good form factor with M43 sensor size, or APSC, but 2020 should finally bring us all of this into a nice FF package and with a very decent weight and size unlike old FF DSLRs. 
Between an XH like body and an EOS R like body, there isn’t much difference. Some savings on weight with glasses... but FF rules it for me (and for stills also mostly). 
I am not even mentioning marvels like the sigma FP that almost competes with M43 sizing. 

Having GH5 video specs in an LX100 form factor would be great and have a real advantage and I could see myself using that in combinaison with a FF system. At least there is a lot of difference between the 2.

• Administrators

LX100 II was a bit disappointing for video wasn't it... Definitely needs a proper update next time

I can see some Sony users moving back to a GH6 with 6K and Phase-detect AF... would be a very big deal, if A7S III disappoints.

Also a smaller version of S1, not so heavy, better AF.

2 hours ago, chadandreo said:

I think this is the first time anyone has said the Fuji IQ is laughable, especially when it comes to color science. Maybe you need to tweak your settings or picture profile?

I precisely said the stills, which we shot RAW so no picture profile to talk about. IQ wise video was great (I actually used the recommandations from this forum in a post I created prior to the trip and that was great).  

I edited hundreds of stills from both cameras, since we shot with a friend and myself. Many times we got "duplicates" like similar photos of a sunset for example taken with both the A7III and the XT3. And I confirm the A7III shots were much superior both in Dynamic range and noise control. It's just what I see on my screen. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

LX100 II was a bit disappointing for video wasn't it... Definitely needs a proper update next time

I can see some Sony users moving back to a GH6 with 6K and Phase-detect AF... would be a very big deal, if A7S III disappoints.

Also a smaller version of S1, not so heavy, better AF.

I agree, LX100 was disappointing. 
For sure a GH6 with proper AF would be killer, so would be a smaller S1 with better AF. Panasonic makes great video cameras, their main flaw right now is AF across the line. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Panasonic should just use IR or ultrasonic AF to satisfy the 0-10 meters vlogging scenario and use DfD for the rest if there is some conspiracy against them using PDAF.

Not sure how you mess up dynamic range with an XT3, it’s amazing in RAW and even jpeg. Heck even the 10 bit log is pretty decent. Low light performance is definitely lacking. 3200 on the Fuji is about as clean as 12,800 on the Sony or S1 or Z6. That said you don’t get the overdone noise reduction. But yeah you need more batteries and stabilization. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Panasonic should just use IR or ultrasonic AF to satisfy the 0-10 meters vlogging scenario and use DfD for the rest if there is some conspiracy against them using PDAF.

That's not such a crazy idea, as a lot of the criticism of Panasonic AF is focused (ha!) on that 0 to 10m range of usages. 

5 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I precisely said the stills, which we shot RAW so no picture profile to talk about. IQ wise video was great (I actually used the recommandations from this forum in a post I created prior to the trip and that was great).  

I edited hundreds of stills from both cameras, since we shot with a friend and myself. Many times we got "duplicates" like similar photos of a sunset for example taken with both the A7III and the XT3. And I confirm the A7III shots were much superior both in Dynamic range and noise control. It's just what I see on my screen. 

I was talking about photos. I wasnt sure if you shot in JPEG or Raw. 

That makes sense when it comes to DR and Noise from a fullframe camera. 

If it meant dropping the 6K resolution, I'd honestly prefer that the XT4 shoot 422 internally over 420. I love my XT3, but I really don't like the 420 color space, especially for grading. I have a Ninja V but I really dislike external recorders. Once you start throwing cages and external recorders onto cameras like these, I just don't see the point. If I'm going to do that, then I'd rather have a legitimate video camera then some awkward, Frankenstein rig with cables, adapters, clamps and mounts dangling off the body. So many failure points. So many things to jostle loose. It all just ends up being a huge pain in the ass. 

I think Fuji has absolutely beautiful color science and their lenses are amazing. I'm really looking forward to the XT4. I hope they include 422 on it! I'd take 4k 422 over 6k 420 any day. BETTER pixels over MORE pixels!

15 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

If this doesn’t come to pass, will this be the biggest blue balls event in mirrorless history?

No. That's the a7s III, of course. Just today I talked to a Sony shooter who was hanging on to his S II and dreaming of when the S III will show. I've been shooting on the T3 for less than a year and I bet you I'll have the T4 before he gets his  fantasy camera. 🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

No. That's the a7s III, of course. Just today I talked to a Sony shooter who was hanging on to his S II and dreaming of when the S III will show. I've been shooting on the T3 for less than a year and I bet you I'll have the T4 before he gets his  fantasy camera. 🤣🤣🤣

Look at what Fuji has had between the a7Smk2 and mk3:

X-H1, X-T3, X-T4, and more!

Sony is the new Canon