Confusion surrounds 1D X Mark III Dual Pixel AF in 5.5K RAW mode – Does it work or not?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Thank you, that proves it for 10bit (C-LOG)

Now I think what is happening with the RAW mode is those claiming no AF had it in 60p.

Still would like to see proof of it working in 24p, 25p, 30p though.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my 8K full frame sensor readout on the Leica SL2 ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Now I think what is happening with the RAW mode is those claiming no AF had it in 60p.

Andrew, what are your thoughts on the SL2 in low light? Any footage or clips you could share, or even post up for download? Haven't seen too many samples from it besides cinema5d's.

• Administrators

It has a good character to the image at ISO 6400 especially in 10bit, with a fine organic noise style, perfectly usable. At ISO 12,800 above it is quite a noisy camera compared to the super clean S1H, Z6, A7 III, and A7S cameras of this world.

ISO 12,800 continues to be a rarity for me, I usually don't need to go higher than 6400.

What did C5d show?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It has a good character to the image at ISO 6400 especially in 10bit, with a fine organic noise style, perfectly usable. At ISO 12,800 above it is quite a noisy camera compared to the super clean S1H, Z6, A7 III, and A7S cameras of this world.

ISO 12,800 continues to be a rarity for me, I usually don't need to go higher than 6400.

What did C5d show?

Thanks, good character sounds nice. The only footage I’ve seen is the C5d first impression video. Been interested in what you’ve done with it.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Reid said:

So i tested the Canon 1dx mkIII today and i briefly put it in 4k RAW 25p to test if the dpaf would work. Short answer is it works like a charm. I didn't have lot of time to test other framerates and resolutions but I then asked a Canon rep about it and he said that it works in raw until 30p then it's not possible. 

Note aside, the autofocus in video seems to be improved again, it's impressive. Rack focus is very natural, face/eye detection works near flawlessly... I'm very impressed. 

2 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

So i tested the Canon 1dx mkIII today and i briefly put it in 4k RAW 25p to test if the dpaf would work. Short answer is it works like a charm. I didn't have lot of time to test other framerates and resolutions but I then asked a Canon rep about it and he said that it works in raw until 30p then it's not possible. 

Note aside, the autofocus in video seems to be improved again, it's impressive. Rack focus is very natural, face/eye detection works near flawlessly... I'm very impressed. 

You mean RAW so 5.5k not 4k right as there is no 4k RAW...

By the way folks did you see the wild rumors that appeared on the internet concerning the next pro Canon mirrorless body that should be announced next month ? 

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/

The Canon rumor guy would rate it CR3 as he says in the intro just before the specs... I don't know how this all would be possibly true, especially coming from Canon, but it were true then that is insane!!