Confusion surrounds 1D X Mark III Dual Pixel AF in 5.5K RAW mode – Does it work or not?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

1dx-mark-iii-scaled.jpg

Now the hype has died down over the 1D X Mark III, we get a chance to see in the specs and manual where the cripple hammer has come out.

Read the full article

https://www.eoshd.com/2020/01/confusion-surrounds-1d-x-mark-iii-dual-pixel-af-in-5-5k-raw-mode-does-it-work-or-not/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I thought that DPAF didn't work in no-crop 4K 50/60p. But it did work in no-crop 30p and in cropped 4K 60p.

Personally, I am getting more excited about Komodo...the FX9 and the C500mk2 each seem to have drawbacks. For B camera, the 1DXmk3 is awesome but expensive and limited codec options. No Sony 10-bit DSLM yet.

Komodo COULD be awesome. Although ultimately I have to consider what my clients want. But 16-bit R3D with compression options, speedbooster options, RF mount, half the cost of an FX9...

The chart clearly indicates that AF doesn't function in all FF 4K60p modes. It does in 4K60p crop.

As for this: Dual Pixel AF operates in all modes except for none crop 4K or RAW at 60p/50p recording.

The phrasing is a little confusing but I'm sure they mean: except for none crop 4K at 60p/50p.

In any case I'll make sure to verify this myself next week when I should get a hands-on the unit.

Yea, would be great to get this verified, but everything I've read and watched has said AF doesn't work in 50p/60p in Raw and 50p/60p in full-frame 4K. Both a bummer, but not a huge deal for me personally because the file sizes in 60p raw are so gigantic I can't see myself using it very often and the 4k crop mode is only 1.3x, which isn't terrible for 60p AF. Just if you want to use something super wide. 

Did the user check at 30p RAW or above? 

Could be that two different spec sheets, one in europe and one in usa, are both wrong but would be a big mistake.

As I stated on a previous thread view that camera can shot at 20 fps RAW 14bit photo with AF tracking does not seems impossible at least at 24/25 fps RAW video.

But yeah if people could check would be great.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Does he speak about it or actually SHOW it?

I cannot be bothered to watch many YouTube videos, can you watch it and report back 🤣

He actually tested the body so i think that he say it because he tested it... He shows a B-roll footage with focus tracking while he is saying that. 

I will put my hands on this camera on Tuesday so i will try it out. 

I want to see a video that shows setting 5.5k RAW 30p and then performing AF while recording. People can say what they want and with so many YouTube rush preview of the preview of the preview of the preview reviews 🙂 I don't trust any. I prefer to trust the spec (hopefully these are correct)

50 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I want to see a video that shows setting 5.5k RAW 30p and then performing AF while recording. People can say what they want and with so many YouTube rush preview of the preview of the preview of the preview reviews 🙂 I don't trust any. I prefer to trust the spec (hopefully these are correct)

Id be feken pist if af isnt included with raw.

23 hours ago, Django said:

I don't get it what's not clear about this official chart? :

canon-1d-x-mark-iii-RAW-specs.jpg

Exactly. Pretty clear from the official specs sheets canon give us. No need to interpret it otherwise, the asterisk shows only when DPAF is not available. All the others recording formats are with DPAF 🤷‍♂️

• Administrators

Sometimes the official spec sheets have mistakes in them.

Like the Leica SL2 manual.

sl2-5k.jpg

Full frame 8K pixel readout (full scan)? Yes please!

And sometimes specs change between the draft of the manual and actual V1.0 firmware.

Maybe the SL2 did indeed have a Full frame 5K mode from 8K during development, which was subsequently changed to 5.5K crop mode.

But it's more likely here that the copy-writers got confused between 35mm and Super 35mm sensor areas.