WTB: Tokina +0.4 Achromatic diopter

Rick Moonbeam Darge

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are a couple new, "large" diameter doublets coming to market soon.  They might not impact the resale value of this little gem at all but they'll offer alternatives where currently there aren't any.  Where the current price is based on scarcity, later on it might be based on vintage or its position in a still small market relative to the new lenses which, I believe, will be +.25 (Redstan) and +.33 (SLR Magic).  So neither one outright replaces or supersedes the Tokina in all applications but they'll offer alternatives and new stacking configurations.

Yah I heard about those, one of the reasons i considered selling a tokina! I was interested in the redstan .25  myself but it was supposed to come out months ago.

Is the slr magic is an achromat?  I wonder if they will be selling them separate from their adapter. 

Is the slr magic is an achromat?  I wonder if they will be selling them separate from their adapter. 

They're actually coming out with two, the +.33 and +1.3 as achromat designs.  When they went looking at what was out there they saw, basically, nothing, as you can see from this list compiled at Fuzzcraft.  

My understanding is that they intend to offer these as separate products, for photographers who have no interest in anamorphics as well as folks using non-SLR Magic lenses.  There's a finite number of the Tokina doublet out there and, obviously, not enough to really go around.  Also, it will be interesting to see what, if any, improvements are gained stacking two doublets versus doublet and single.

Yah I heard about those, one of the reasons i considered selling a tokina! I was interested in the redstan .25  myself but it was supposed to come out months ago.

i have the completed optics the mounts have to be altered i have 8 +0.25 new design.

i also have some new test new design +1   both 82mm ready now.

in the spring

also will have +0.65

and +0.75  all achromatic doublets

i have the completed optics the mounts have to be altered i have 8 +0.25 new design.

i also have some new test new design +1   both 82mm ready now.

in the spring

also will have +0.65

and +0.75  all achromatic doublets

Cool. Do you have price in mind on them yet?

• 2 weeks later...

No actually I am still looking. I search everyday but sure if you wanna venture out in the darkness and brave the winds, Ill remain humbly under my warm covers waiting for the day, counting the seconds until you toss a Tokina doublet onto my door step, waking me from my hibernation and completing the holy trinity of glass triumph. Ill loan you a horse. A fine horse.

High quality, large diameter diopters just aren't common.  Doublet even less so which are the best.  After all, they're designed for stills photographers trying to squeeze macro functionality out of non-macro lenses.  Those most useful to anamorphic enthusiasts (an incidental quality with respect to their main purpose) are going to be in the decimal strengths which may have less appeal for the stills guys.  

Looking at what's commonly available, most are smaller than the Tokina doublet's 72mm diameter and way stronger than its +.4 strength.  Depending on what you need the diopter for you might be able to get by for a while with an alternative.  A multi-coated singlet design should be just fine if you're mainly needing to be able to focus closer and not as concerned about cleaning up aberration.  I don't know that Hoya makes any in the sub +1 strength though, which is too strong for anything but ECU, generally.

Folks wanting an alternative to Tokina now should contact Andrew at SLR Magic (support@slrmagic.com) and inquire about their new 77mm doublets (achromatic, like the Tokina +.4) as a +.33 and +1.3 set.  They'll set you back less than half the going price for the Tokina.

if you are desperate and want a quality original over china copy i will have some more achromatic close up lens in 2 weeks.

+1 doublet 82mm

+0.25 doublet  82mm

+1 is older more classic design single coated slight yellow tint match iscorama well as it is classical recipe it is heavy ish.

the + 0.25 the glass has been made super thin to cut down on weight.

both have been designed to offer  achromatic correction covering 5d size sensor.

end of feb i will also have some +0.65  76mm new doublets

new original designs

price alas is gonna be at least £350 sterling.

each batch is only 8 pieces