Van Diemen Iscorama upgrade

Rick Moonbeam Darge

• 3 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sent mine to Van Diemen about 2 weeks ago ... Hate to shoot the next projects "un-anamorphic"  :ph34r:

Three reasons why i did this:
a) with the close focus mode (i did it myself) there is a chance of getting dust inside the lens when the lens is set to very close focus.

b) protection
c) focus gears

You get a more robust lens but you loose a bit of flexibility – because of it`s design (as mentioned before).

It becomes a real "fat lady" after the mod. And with the close focus mod done you'll need a FF with a faster gear ratio (2:1 like the Arri Cine FF). And this FF isn't a lightweight at all!!

When I got my ISCO back from VD, I decided to mod the mod.

A friend of mine – "SFX Lange" based in Hamburg – did the following:

- we made it noticeable lighter (the mount is the heavy part of it)

- we've added a solid lens support (Vocas) 

- we attached a torque motor on the lens support (redrock micro remote)

The ISCO is held by the lens support and is just "pushed" in front of the lens (not screwed!)

Now I can change the taking lens within seconds, without a recalibration of the ISCO is necessary.

Have fun!

post-34355-0-68243300-1396373494_thumb.j

post-34355-0-70772500-1396373593_thumb.j

post-34355-0-85798000-1396373612_thumb.j

Now I can change the taking lens within seconds, without a recalibration of the ISCO is necessary.

It would be great to add a rotating filter thread to the lens so you an screw the Iscorama onto this thread without rotating the Iscorama.
This rotating filter thread could look like an Variable-ND filter. One part remains fixed on the takting lens and the other part is rotating. 

I don't need to fix the ISCO with the lens. The beauty of my Leica Summicron's (35, 50, 90) is that they have a moveable sunshade.
I can move the sunshade over the ISCO`s thread.

Ah nice!

Mine arrived today:
23gz9yt.jpg
2pzxszo.jpg

Maybe i´ll try your trick with my Leicas :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw: VD did a great job. Very solid. And i was lucky because i just waited about 3 weeks ;)

Does anyone find that due the weight difference of the isco and the taking lens that sometimes the taking lens focus  + whole isco rear section of the isco rotates when trying to focus the isco? 

I run into this when using smaller taking lenses sometimes and want to create some sort of collar that locks the taking lens at infinite, any ideas?

It doesn't usually bother me but I recently bought a custom focus gear and am trying to get follow focus going so the taking lens can't be wobblin round!

With this ISCORAMA, still need to adjust both focus?  Is it single focusing possible?  If no, which ISCORAMA possible, how to tell?

Ah nice!

Mine arrived today:
23gz9yt.jpg
2pzxszo.jpg

Maybe i´ll try your trick with my Leicas :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw: VD did a great job. Very solid. And i was lucky because i just waited about 3 weeks ;)

- we've added a solid lens support (Vocas) 

can you give me the exact parts of the Vocas lens support? 
What is that ring around the Iscorama?

Thanx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about something like an adapter for my swing-away-mattebox. So you can swing away your Iscorama and just change lenses.

Here is my Tilta Rig:
2ykcc2p.jpg