What is a Pre-36 Iscorama's "taking lens" worth?

Rick Moonbeam Darge

Hey guys, 

I recently bought a Pre36 Iscorama lens off ebay. After getting it in the mail, I noticed that the Taking Lens was not as described. The seller described the taking lens as having an M42 mount but instead I got a lens with a MinoltaSR mount. Another issue was that the aperture ring was very difficult to twist and when I did close the iris down, none of the iris blades were visible, meaning, the iris blades are either missing or jammed up completely. Now I understand that the beauty of this lens is the ability to use other taking lenses which I have been doing but I feel a little cheated because the original taking lenses is useless. I spoke to a few of the Iscorama repair guys and they believe it will cost around $400 if it CAN be fixed. I've been talking to the original owner and he wants to make the sale correct so I'm asking you guys, the community, what do you think the TAKING LENS is worth? If it can't be fixed, how much do you think I should be asking as a refund? Is it worth 50% of the total cost of the package? 20%? I'm not sure.. Bernie from Super 16 Inc. (funny guy) said that it should be worth 35-40% but I haven't heard anything else to say otherwise. 

A side note, if I can successfully fix this issue, is it possible to use a MinoltaSR adapter to EOS without having to get an adapter with a corrective lens? All of the MInolta to EOS adapters I've seen have a corrective piece of glass within them that fixes the flange issue. I've considered the option of paying someone like Duclos lenses to hack off the minoltaSR mount and permanently install an EOS adapter but that is sure going to be pricey. 

Thanks for the help guys. Other than the crappy taking lens, the front element is completely pristine and producing really amazing pictures on a 5D mark II. The lens really transforms your camera into something magical. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I wouldn't bother fixing the taking lens. The image from it with the anamorphic isn't as nice as you can achieve with other lenses. I am not sure of the value as never seen it for sale on it's own. I wouldn't say it was worth what it would cost to repair it that's for sure!

PS - my original taking lens from my pre36 Iscorama is also kaput… the focus is way off infinity!

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I'm basically trying to figure out. If I were to ever re-sell this Iscorama, I'm sure the potential buyer would dock me for not having the "complete" set. Makes sense for guys like us to use better glass but from a collectors point of view, it still has value. So my question is, what percentage of the overall used cost of a Pre 36 single coated Iscorama would be allocated towards the "taking lens"? 15% ? 30% ? 

I'd rather just negotiate with this particular seller a comfortable refund amount for the price I paid for the entire package because I feel I was a little misled. For me it just hurts resale value and that's what I'm trying to figure out here. 

some of the real ebay lens go round and around.

people buy them something is not workin then they sell it on.

you see if the seller was honest it has a financial impact on his sale price.

even if you can use other lens the fact is an iris issue a miss allignment impact lens seperation dryed up focus all should impact the price based on an honest listing.

if the seller was an idiot and you got the optic for 600 dollars be happy if he was serious and you payed top dollar min refund of 300 us dollars if you payed top top price.

just because you may not use the original taking optic is not important these are rare ish optics more often than not taking lens go missing in theory a complete system should be worth more than half a system.

the seller should pay the full price of a bernie o service i got given neg feedback cos i charged someone once 2 dollars 2 much on a ebay shipping.

value should be in a complete serviced unit regardless of the fact you may not like or use the back taking section.

do not hack the back section get it repaired and  stick it in a draw safe you do not need to use it.