Blackmagic 4K Production Camera - First Sample Videos from Grant Petty

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
bmpc-4k-beach-small

The first 4K images are rolling off the 4K production camera, shot by Grant Petty himself no less. I'm hugely impressed with the image. It breaks new ground for resolution for an accessibly priced movie camera.

The download is absolutely huge at 9GB. If you just want a glance at what's on offer, you're in luck because I'm going to guide you through the images now and do a bit of grading...

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Those streets at night are pretty dark - my guess is he's shooting at 800. He's also getting a long depth of field there so it could even be 1600. Either way it's looking good for night.

And please do come to Melbourne soon :D

4K you will all most likely need a new computer for that ..

New Mac Pro has just gone on sale for shipping in January - Price of a fully loaded Mac Pro is USD $9,599 (+tax), that's 12 core/64GB RAM/1TB flash/6GB Graphics card. Monitors (Sharp 4K 32 inch are additional $3,595 (+tax) each and you're going to want a couple of those . . . . so you're looking at around $18,000 for a fully loaded Mac Pro with two 4K monitors . . . . .

ouch!!!

4K you will all most likely need a new computer for that ..

PLEASE, thats NONSENSE. I edit 4k, 5k and 6k video files on my notebook, with no effort. Why does everyone thinks that 4k, ProRes and RAW files demand too much processing power? Thats TOTALLY WRONG.

A 1080p AVCHD is SO MUCH WORSE to process. You will need a good computer to deal with highly compressed files. Thats not the case with RAW. RAW is light as a feather.

The only thing you will need is storage, and there are lots of cheap solutions for that.

• Administrators

It's true you can edit 4K on a laptop BUT you need either SSD or a RAID array, a bog standard HDD won't cut it. An SSD on its own is too small and a RAID array won't fit in a laptop. So you're attaching the RAID drives to the laptop via USB 3.0 I take it?

I have 2 256GB SSD`s to run the OS and my softwares - inside the notebook.

To store stuff I use external HDDs (7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s), and they are more than enough!

With that setup I can handle every single video file from the BM, RED, ALEXA etc

Can you be so kind and tell us your specs of your laptop.. the model ram gpu and cpu as well as the storage drives... are they 1Tb or 3tB  and the workflow of your editing softwares (i think you running a PC not Apple) so you prolly don t use a FCPX .. Thank you

model: Alienware M18x R2

- 3rd gen core i7 OC

- 16GB RAM (can be upgraded to 32)

- dual 256GB SSDs

- dual nvidia geforce GTX 680M (SLI)

- I have 2 3TB HDDs (7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s) for heavy files

Softwares

- Windows 7

- Lightroom

- Premiere Pro

* You can spec a much cheaper version that can also handle 4k files.

PLEASE, thats NONSENSE. I edit 4k, 5k and 6k video files on my notebook, with no effort. Why does everyone thinks that 4k, ProRes and RAW files demand too much processing power? Thats TOTALLY WRONG.

A 1080p AVCHD is SO MUCH WORSE to process. You will need a good computer to deal with highly compressed files. Thats not the case with RAW. RAW is light as a feather.

The only thing you will need is storage, and there are lots of cheap solutions for that.

my point is that today the new Mac Pro has gone on sale and its not cheap for a full spec machine !!!   and I see you are not using a Mac so its not relevant to you then...

• Administrators

The Quad core Mac Pro in the UK is £300 more than the top of the range Macbook Pro Retina 15" with raw / CUDA capable GPU...

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-pro

But much more powerful of course.

No £2500 is not cheap for a dustbin but it will set you up for 5 years of 4K editing. So to some might be a good investment! Not for everyone, that's for certain.

I dont understand the hype with those mac's. There is nothing special about the hardware and the software is a pain in the ass. You always have compatibility issues. Whats the point of having a software that works if most things wont work with it? And its WAY overpriced.

I own an Apple display, and thats enough Apple on my life. I cant live with a system that creates that amount of boundaries