Vote for BMPCC Software Features

Rumple

Hi Everyone,

There have been many feature requests for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, so I thought it might give the guys that work at Blackmagic Design a better idea of what we all think is a priority if we completed a poll, rather than keep adding to long long lists, in various threads, on various forums...

My intent is to give the results to BMD so they know what we are all yearning for, rather than have them trawl through hundreds of post, on a myriad of forums. I'm hoping the data will speak for itself.

I think I've included pretty much all the (reasonable) requests I've been reading about. Now, I know some of them might be harder than others, but I added them in anyway.

Note: I have randomised the features in the poll to try and not influence the votes. So they are in no particular order and in a different order for each person...

You do not need to register to vote, and no email addresses are being collected. Just tell us what you want from most to least!

Please vote here:

Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Survey is invalid or no longer exists."

I think they know what people miss on the Pocket at Blackmagic.

Let me show my own list and please comment on it (in order of my personal priorities):

1. The remaining recording time must be shown on the OSD.

2. I'd like a little more contrast and saturation on the display (display menu settings: "Video").

3. If I play back a clip and press OK during it, I'd like to be asked "Delete clip?"

4. I'd like a ProRes (without HQ) option. You don't shoot the beauty shots with PR anyway, and for i.e. interviews the lower bitrate survives the grading you apply to it.

5. I'd like the camera to remember the iris values and peaking after putting it off or battery change.

Some things probably can't be changed, like audio quality. There is a project underway to make a specialized miniature stereo microphone with built-in pre-amp, based on a successful in-ear concept called Ohrwurm ("earworm") with distinct cardioid characteristics (self-contradictory though it sounds). It could be screwed to a cage and preserve the so-called stealth factor. This isn't going to be cheap. Otherwise there are external solutions, and with modern NLEs the need to synchronize in post has lost it's horrors.

Card formatting in camera? Why? You need a computer anyway to store the clips.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in replying. I had set up the post to email me when replies were posted, but apparently this didn't happen.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://stellarsurvey.com/s.aspx?u=692218CF-93D8-490C-ABD1-3D50BB5E90D4&

You will notice nearly all the features you asked for.

I don't however ProRes 422 (not HQ) will be implemented, as this would cost BMD extra to licence the codec from Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
First off, apologies for the delay. Personal and professional engagements have hindered me completing this poll.

I have now collated the data and can reveal the results.
In most popular to least popular the features you'd like to see most are:

1st: Display Media Percentage/Time/Space Remaining
2nd: Audio Metering
3rd: Media Formatting

4th: Display Histogram
5th: Manual WB Adjustment
6th: Clip Deletion

7th: Remember Settings after Powering Off/On
8th: User Assignable Up/Down/Left/Right Directional Buttons (for ISO/WB/Audio/Shutter Angle Hot Keys)
9th: Extended ISO (50ISO, 100ISO, 3200ISO, 6400ISO)
10th: Reorder Menu Layout for most used Settings (ISO, WB & Shutter Angle etc) to be at the Top
11th: Output "Video" colourspace via HDMI
12th: OIS On/Off Menu Option
13th: Output resolution options via HDMI (1080p/1080i/720p)
14th: Display Focal Length (on active lenses)
15th: Display Focus Distance (on active lenses)

Some of the results were very close, but it's obvious the most important features we'd like.
There were 195 votes, so thank you to all that took part.

BMPCC.png