Zeiss 35mm F/2 Distagon ZE T*

DanielVranic

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

100% get it

I have a rare prototype of this lens, serial number 0000009 or something I seem to remember.

Prototype or not, it is one of my best.

Very cinematic lens.

Awesome! By chance you have a few sample clips/screengrabs sitting around? Can't find a whole lot of good examples on this guy

I think there's some discussion of it here: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03/just-mtf-charts-zeiss-slr-lenses/

Distagon-T-35mm-f2-ZE_MTF_Average.png

Assuming that's the one, the curves remind me of many of the classic cine glass that they've also tested.  Contrasty (the top curve shows this) but not too clinical (the other curves are lower - when all the curves are towards the top then that's when lenses look super sharp) and the lower resolution and astigmatism towards the edges (lower lines = softer and IIRC when the solid and dotted lines diverge that means that the radial blur no longer aligns with the other blur (at 90 degrees to it) so nothing can be completely in focus).

Looks like a very promising lens...  I look forward to some sample images :) 

Amazing lens!! Contrasty with high micro contrast giving nice 3D rendering. As stated above its sharp but not clinically so. Some CA wide open. Beautiful rendering.

The only 35s better from Zeiss are the 35mm 1.4 Milvus and ZM 1.4 (My favourite 35 of any brand)

The older ZE's are really great bargains for such amazing glass. CA is an issue on many, but that's really no different than any other vintage lens. You can also find great deals on the Nikon ZF/ZF2 versions, the first ones didn't have electronics so they can be found really cheap, even lenses like the 21/2.8 and the 100/2. 

Years ago, just after the 5d3 came out I found a great deal on a set from a local guy that was moving from Canon to a FS700 (this was before the adapters we have now existed) that included the ZE 21/2.8, 25/2, 50/2 and 100/2 - which was perfect as I preferred the look of the macros over the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. Finances forced me to sell them, but I really enjoyed shooting them with the 5d3. I've always kicked around the idea of getting them again to build a vintage lens set, but I do the same with Zeiss C/Y's and Leica R's. 

Chris

Take it, you will like it! However be aware that ZE lenses don't have an aperture ring. On EF bodies you control it from the camera, but if you want to use it on multiple bodies, it would be better to take the ZF lenses. I don't know about prices in the states, but for the European market that price is quite a bargain. Even if you don't need the lens, take and resell it for a profit on ebay.

Personally, instead of the 35mm I went with the 28mm f2, which, besides giving you a slightly larger field of view, it has also close focusing capabilities, more than the 35mm.

22 hours ago, 1Ale82 said:

Take it, you will like it! However be aware that ZE lenses don't have an aperture ring. On EF bodies you control it from the camera, but if you want to use it on multiple bodies, it would be better to take the ZF lenses. I don't know about prices in the states, but for the European market that price is quite a bargain. Even if you don't need the lens, take and resell it for a profit on ebay.

Personally, instead of the 35mm I went with the 28mm f2, which, besides giving you a slightly larger field of view, it has also close focusing capabilities, more than the 35mm.

This one is next! Got the lens today. So doing tests in a bit~

• Administrators
On 1/17/2020 at 11:42 AM, PabloB said:

Amazing lens!! Contrasty with high micro contrast giving nice 3D rendering. As stated above its sharp but not clinically so. Some CA wide open. Beautiful rendering.

The only 35s better from Zeiss are the 35mm 1.4 Milvus and ZM 1.4 (My favourite 35 of any brand)

The EF mount ZE 35mm F1.4 is also very nice, but much heavier than the 35mm F2 ZE / ZF.

Of the Leica M mount Zeiss, I have the ZM F2.0 but not the faster one. The ZM F2 is superb but close focus limited. I should do a comparison between that and the ZE F2.0 one day.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The EF mount ZE 35mm F1.4 is also very nice, but much heavier than the 35mm F2 ZE / ZF.

Of the Leica M mount Zeiss, I have the ZM F2.0 but not the faster one. The ZM F2 is superb but close focus limited. I should do a comparison between that and the ZE F2.0 one day.

[The ZM F2 is superb but close focus limited.]

I experience this also though its the norm for rangefinder lenses. I use a close focus adapter on mine which brings down to about 28cm which is great, at 1.4 and minimum focus distance subject may be a bit hazy but from f1.8/2 its back to razor sharp.

[I should do a comparison between that and the ZE F2.0 one day.]

That would interest me

I've used a few of the Zeiss ZF lenses... and they are all really nice lenses with great micro contrast and color separation.

I still have the 25mm 2.8, which being a Distagon, it has insane close up capabilities. I swear half of the focus throw is devoted to its near macro range. Weirdly, I actually prefer the 25mm to the 28mm.

Unfortunately, I have it up for sale on eBay. As much as I like the lens, I need to cut down on my collection. 

Good luck with the 35mm. 

22 hours ago, mercer said:

I've used a few of the Zeiss ZF lenses... and they are all really nice lenses with great micro contrast and color separation.

I still have the 25mm 2.8, which being a Distagon, it has insane close up capabilities. I swear half of the focus throw is devoted to its near macro range. Weirdly, I actually prefer the 25mm to the 28mm.

Unfortunately, I have it up for sale on eBay. As much as I like the lens, I need to cut down on my collection. 

Good luck with the 35mm. 

eBay link please~

Also -My examples.. they are named after the F-stop of course - so much character and vibe wide open!!! Stopped down to F4(-ish because the XL does weird math on my P4K) its sharp and gorgeous.

7 minutes ago, DanielVranic said:

eBay link please~

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114007022477

Your samples from the f/2 look good. The ZF lenses really are nice. I wish I could justify a whole set of them but as is, it would take me a couple years to make enough short films with the lenses I already own.