Follow Focus for older anamorphics that move in and out

Rob Bannister

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

does anyone know if hard stops apply to the iscorama 54?

im looking to buy a lanparte follow focus but im not sure if the hard stops actuall work considering iscorama 54's focus throw and circumference.

im thinking the lens is too big for use of hard stops.

Rob,

I'm checking with Duclos now to see if they can service my Iscorama's stiff focus.  If so, I'll go ahead and send it in and get the focus gear and report back.  It usually takes about a month turnaround whenever I send them a lens.

Drew

Drew, let us know how you go with duclose. I've considered having mine re-lubed but don't want to send it all the way from LA to bernie in NY.

My isco turns smoothly, but definitely a ton more resistance compared to modern lenses. Not sure how silky they can go :P

Drew, let us know how you go with duclose. I've considered having mine re-lubed but don't want to send it all the way from LA to bernie in NY.

My isco turns smoothly, but definitely a ton more resistance compared to modern lenses. Not sure how silky they can go :P

Paul @ Duclos had an issue with a previous customer's Iscorama and politely declined to clean and re-lube mine.  I reached out to Bernie O but haven't heard back.  Your Iscorama sounds like mine...smooth turning but lots of friction.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Redrock MicroLensGear size D with my Iscorama 54.  It required a slightly longer screw than the one supplied, which I readily found in the hardware store in a packet of Hillman 1/8 x 3" toggle bolts.  See links below.  I find that a speed crank is the most effective way to use this setup since there is decent travel on the Iscorama.  I also recommend a way to hold the 54 in place especially if your focus ring has any tension at all.  Without the support you may get some unwanted lens movement when you rack focus.  I use a lens support from Cavision that locks my lens down to my shoulder rig but it needs some filler (like dense cardboard) to build it up to fit the 54's mounting ring.   Hope this helps.

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/lensgears/microLensGearSizeD

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Group-5024-Toggle/dp/B001003YFC

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/DSLR-microFollowFocus/microSpeedCrank

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750371-REG/Cavision_R15_LS25100M_Lens_Support_with_Metal.html

helicoptersean over on ebay makes custom follow focus.

I've been exchanging messages with him to get a properly fitted follow focus to fit on my iscorama 54.

he has sent me a couple samples to see if it fits.

he's super easy to work with and always answers your questions in a timely matter.

he's sending me a final revision and i should be getting it any day now.

if it works perfectly, i'll report back and that will most like be the model he'll be using for other people wanting a FF for the isco54

here's an earlier prototype of an earlier follow focus for an iscorama 54 he sent a couple of weeks ago.

$_57.JPG

here's his ebay site to contact him.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/helicoptersean

That custom follow focus from helicoptersean is nice in that it has nothing to get in the way of rotation but I believe the method for installing it calls for dipping the ring in hot water or using a hair dryer to soften the plastic so that it can be forced onto the lens making a snug fit.  The thought of using moisture around my Iscorama gives me pause as well as hitting it with enough heat that could cause the grease to loosen and migrate onto my elements.  Perhaps this work could be done away from the lens with no negative consequences but you should inquire as to the install before buying.  Also, I wonder how removal would work.  I've been in contact with him though and he seems like a great guy.    It would certainly be nice to not have to worry about the ring connection hitting the rails.

That custom follow focus from helicoptersean is nice in that it has nothing to get in the way of rotation but I believe the method for installing it calls for dipping the ring in hot water or using a hair dryer to soften the plastic so that it can be forced onto the lens making a snug fit.  The thought of using moisture around my Iscorama gives me pause as well as hitting it with enough heat that could cause the grease to loosen and migrate onto my elements.  Perhaps this work could be done away from the lens with no negative consequences but you should inquire as to the install before buying.  Also, I wonder how removal would work.  I've been in contact with him though and he seems like a great guy.    It would certainly be nice to not have to worry about the ring connection hitting the rails.

i wouldn't recommend this method because if you dip it in hot water and you're not delicately handling the focus gear, you will most likelly lose the structural consistency of the focus gear where it will distort and bend.

sean sent me two sizes, both differing in a fraction of a milimeter difference in diameter.

the smaller one (he referred to it as #219) was a bit too difficult to wedge in, but the second one (#220) was easier to wedge it and out)

the only issue was that #220 would slip when focusing, so instead of dipping  #219 in hot water, i put some strip of gaf tape (you can use paint tape too) in the inner wall of the focus gear and it snugged perfectly.

its tight enough where it grips the barrel of the lens and doesn't slip at all when focusing but conveniently easy to take it off if you need to.

no messing around with hot water;just perfect.

st5Pgs2.jpg

GT7zj3p.jpg

Thanks kado for runnings this test for us.

So if I would like to make an order I can refer to the number #220 and your username

I will of course mention I also have the Iscorama 54

Anyone know if the diameter is the same on MC and non MC 54?

Anyone know if the diameter is the same on MC and non MC 54?

Yes they should all be the same - its only a lens coating.

The thing that might change the diameter would be that some 54s have a smooth (leather/plastic?) focus grip & others have the metal ridges.

Here's some info i copied down from the original label on the box:

Iscorama 54

Max length = 85.3mm

Outside Diameter = 102.5mm (this includes the metal ridges on the focus ring)

Filter = 95mm

Rear Element = 54mm

Rear Thread = 77mm

The label also stated that the 54 was designed so that it could perform to its optimum with zoom lenses as well as prime lenses.

Good info in this thread, any recommendations for a FF unit that works well with the 54?

Thanks kado for runnings this test for us.

So if I would like to make an order I can refer to the number #220 and your username

I will of course mention I also have the Iscorama 54

yes just mention my username and "T220".

• 2 weeks later...

I have one focus gear for sale.
It is a Chrosziel 206-753 which is customized to fit the front barrel of my Isco 36 – seamless 360°

I sell it for 100 EUR (new 150 EUR)

You can ad a second gear on your follow focus – as I've done it with my zacuto follow focus.
Simply stick them together.

post-34355-0-56471800-1395579660_thumb.j

www.jaquet.de
post (at) jaquet.de

I forgot to mention that my ISCO was modded for close focus with hard stops.

So you will need a seamless focus gear on the ISCO (like my modded Chrosziel)

and a more broadly gear on the follow focus.

So I sticked two of them on the Zacuto FF.

Take a look at the picture than you understand what I mean …